Best Plexiglass cleaner - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 8:02 pm Thread Starter

Best Plexiglass cleaner

I met a guy last night driving a Yamaha version of a Harley. Nice looking bike, actually. We got to talking bikes (naturally) and he asked what I used to clean my windshield. I told him I had gotten (recently) some plexiglass cleaner stuff from an auto parts place. He showed me what he uses, something called Novis 1, I believe, and he claims you shouldn't use anything else.
Does anyone know about this stuff or have an opinion about what the best plexiglass cleaner may be?

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 8:24 pm

All depends on if you are cleaning acrylic or polycarbonate. The term "plexiglass" is usually thrown around pretty loosely in the US, kind of like "perspex" (SP?) in Europe.

The BMW OEM windshield is made from polycarbonate, which really can't be cleaned with anything except dilute mild soap and water. It has a silicone coating that is bonded to the surface. Using an acrylic polish/cleaner on polycarbonate won't do much good, but it won't hurt it either.

Acrylics scratch relatively easily, and a polish/cleaner will help to restore some clarity if the scratches are really small - the kind you typically encounter simply washing it often - they are pretty much unavoidable.

And now, I must stand on my soap box and proclaim that riding behind an acrylic windshield on a motorcycle is asking for it. ...and there are only two on the market for LT's made from polycarbonate, OEM and V-stream.

Let the FLAMES begin!

(I just LOVE this topic - and I think I just hijacked this tread! )

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Jul 21st, 2007 at 8:33 pm.
post #3 of 6 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 8:26 pm

Windshield Cleaner

Novis windshield cleaning products are what is recommended by many of the after market windshield makers and I am sure is a good product but I have not had as good a result with it as I have with Plexus products which are found at most dealers (including the BMW ones that I frequent). I have used it now for several years and on several different motorcycles and always see great results just spray it on and wipe it off, buff with a soft cloth and it leaves a great shine aids in repelling water when it rains and if your windshield has some spider webbing (very minor scratches) it tends to hide them, it is not cheap (typically around $10.00 for a 13oz can) but it does a good job and does not cause damage like some things can, I recommend it.
Now I will add this, I dust my windshield with a California Duster every time before I clean it, even just before a soap and water wash, it only takes a second and that dust is where your get the spider webbing from be careful about cleaning a dirty windshield or for that matter even the painted surfaces of the bike without removing the dust and loose dirt before rubbing the surface with any kind of rag or wash mit!
Jim Davis

Last edited by jdunique; Jul 21st, 2007 at 8:35 pm.

post #4 of 6 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 10:27 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunique
Novis windshield cleaning products are what is recommended by many of the after market windshield makers and I am sure is a good product but I have not had as good a result with it as I have with Plexus products which are found at most dealers (including the BMW ones that I frequent). I have used it now for several years and on several different motorcycles and always see great results just spray it on and wipe it off, buff with a soft cloth and it leaves a great shine aids in repelling water when it rains and if your windshield has some spider webbing (very minor scratches) it tends to hide them, it is not cheap (typically around $10.00 for a 13oz can) but it does a good job and does not cause damage like some things can, I recommend it.
Now I will add this, I dust my windshield with a California Duster every time before I clean it, even just before a soap and water wash, it only takes a second and that dust is where your get the spider webbing from be careful about cleaning a dirty windshield or for that matter even the painted surfaces of the bike without removing the dust and loose dirt before rubbing the surface with any kind of rag or wash mit!
Jim Davis
Jim, where can you get Plexus?

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #5 of 6 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 10:31 pm

Most BMW shops that I've been to carry it, as well as a few H-D stores. If y ou can't find it, PM me and I'll pick some up for you and post it your way.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #6 of 6 Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 12:08 am

Plexus is the best all round cleaner/polish.

I bought a case at the Honda Hoot they were selling for 8.00 for the 13oz can.

I use it on the rag top of my MRS. It makes the top look like new.
I used to only use Honda Spray Polish until a friend turned me on to PLEXUS!

Plexus will clean the whole bike.
Spray it on the front of your car after you wash it and next time the bugs will rinse right off.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in