Replacement screws - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 7:41 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
robasay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Gilbert, AZ, USA
Posts: 445
Replacement screws

I am looking for allen head stainless steel screws that will replace the phillips head screws on the clutch and break reservoir. Does anyone have a location to buy them? The OEM phillips head slots just strip out too easy. I found non stainless allen heads at Ace hardware but not stainless. They rust too easy. I found zinc coated phillips metric at Home Dee Pot but still would like to have allen head stainless.

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler
robasay is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 8:46 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Savannah, GA, USA
Posts: 1,893
A non-elegant solution would be to get the SAE stainless screws from Home Depot (allen head) in a size close to the metric thread pitch and run them through a metric die.
Morley is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 9:48 pm
Senior Member
 
dshealey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Dandridge (Near Knoxville), TN, USA
Posts: 12,165
www.mcmaster.com

They have just about any fastener you need.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
dshealey is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 10:14 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 14,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by robasay
I am looking for allen head stainless steel screws that will replace the phillips head screws on the clutch and break reservoir. Does anyone have a location to buy them? The OEM phillips head slots just strip out too easy. I found non stainless allen heads at Ace hardware but not stainless. They rust too easy. I found zinc coated phillips metric at Home Dee Pot but still would like to have allen head stainless.
Hey Rob - does Gilbert, AZ have a Tractor Supply store?? If so, they are worth a rummaging trip down the fastener aisle. In lieu of that, I'd take Dave Shealey's recommendation and surf the McMaster-Carr on-line pages. Good luck.
Dick is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 11:33 pm
Premium Vendor
 
BUGKILLER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chino Hills, Ca, USA
Posts: 522
Like David said McMaster has everything.

West Marine carries both metric and standard in stainless steel as well
http://www.westmarine.com

West Marine
Store #515
District # 1628 E Southern Ave Stu 1
Tempe, AZ
85282-5685
PHONE: 480-897-6300
For store hours, please call the store directly.
Street Map


West Marine
Store #523
District # 4239 W Bell Rd
Phoenix, AZ
85053-2710
PHONE: 602-564-6680
For store hours, please call the store directly.
Street Map

Tony 05
BUGKILLER is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 1:33 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
robasay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Gilbert, AZ, USA
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hey Rob - does Gilbert, AZ have a Tractor Supply store?? If so, they are worth a rummaging trip down the fastener aisle. In lieu of that, I'd take Dave Shealey's recommendation and surf the McMaster-Carr on-line pages. Good luck.
Even though Gilbert is, or was a large farming community, now the fastest growing housing development in the US. Unfortunately no Tractor Supply store. Living in a metro area of about 4 mil people I suppose we have lots of suppliers for manufacturing and tool and die facilities but it is sometimes hard to locate in a phone book that is 3 inches thick. Dave and Tony have give me great resources and I will be checking them out. If I find a supplier I might be able to purchase a large quantity and pass the product on to those here that may be interested. I will keep all posted on locating and cost.

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler

Last edited by robasay; Jul 22nd, 2007 at 1:57 am.
robasay is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 7:11 am
Senior Member
 
BMWphreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Putnam, CT, USA
Posts: 1,435
Try here: http://www.murphskits.com/

Great guy, great products.

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
BMWphreak is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 8:10 am
Senior Member
 
tmgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NE Georgia, GA., USA
Posts: 5,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by robasay
I am looking for allen head stainless steel screws that will replace the phillips head screws on the clutch and break reservoir. Does anyone have a location to buy them? The OEM phillips head slots just strip out too easy. I found non stainless allen heads at Ace hardware but not stainless. They rust too easy. I found zinc coated phillips metric at Home Dee Pot but still would like to have allen head stainless.
1st! be careful using Stainless in aluminum! it corrodes terribly even more so if your close to salt air you think you have problems now? wait till a stainless screw corrodes into the aluminum housing.


but if you must Ace hardware has a nice assortment of hardware as well,


and just how tight are you tightening them? in over 200k miles between the RT and the LT I have never had one even begin to strip out, are you sure they are not getting over tightened?

Just sayin.......
tmgs is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 10:27 am
Senior Member
 
wacolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Waco, TX, USA
Posts: 809
Try Lowe's. I have found SS hardware in the specialty fastener drawers located on the hardware aisle.

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
wacolt is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 9:46 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
robasay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Gilbert, AZ, USA
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
1st! be careful using Stainless in aluminum! it corrodes terribly even more so if your close to salt air you think you have problems now? wait till a stainless screw corrodes into the aluminum housing.


but if you must Ace hardware has a nice assortment of hardware as well,


and just how tight are you tightening them? in over 200k miles between the RT and the LT I have never had one even begin to strip out, are you sure they are not getting over tightened?

Just sayin.......

It's not that I am over tightening the screws it is the idiots who have done the varias services on the clutch resoviour on the bike that have used the wrong size phillips screw driver and have started rounding the phillips slots out. BMW should have used an allen or torx head type screw.

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler
robasay is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 7:24 am
Senior Member
 
tmgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NE Georgia, GA., USA
Posts: 5,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by robasay
It's not that I am over tightening the screws it is the idiots who have done the varias services on the clutch resoviour on the bike that have used the wrong size phillips screw driver and have started rounding the phillips slots out. BMW should have used an allen or torx head type screw.

yup they should have that way the idiots doing the services couldn't screw them up. <g>

yer welcome for the tip though

<g>
tmgs is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone try this trunk latch replacement? nswenson K1200LT 22 Mar 6th, 2018 9:42 pm
Throttle cable replacement notes johnrehder K1200LT 26 Aug 8th, 2013 8:54 am
Tupperware screws & clips UltraLT K1200LT 4 Apr 4th, 2007 11:44 am
Better filter cover screws available again! dshealey K1200LT 73 May 23rd, 2006 5:12 pm
The night is truely mine markbreen Lighting 9 Apr 20th, 2006 11:11 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome