High speed oscillation - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 4:02 pm Thread Starter

High speed oscillation

The other day I responded to a new rider's questions about his LT and I noted that over 100 mph I started getting an oscillation in the front end of my LT that increased with speed. If I put my windshield down, it reduced the oscillation considerably. I have ME 880's that are in really good condition at 6,500 miles,and the pressures are 47 rear, and 42 front.

I stood looking at the LT today and my eyes settled on the Euro wings I ordered with my Cee Bailey +2, -4 windshield. They stick out like bat wings and I started thinking that maybe they were causing turbulence at higher speeds.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

I probably am going to get another one without the Euro wings later this summer due to dings and chingers from rocks and debris hitting it over the last year or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 9:59 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocityguy
The other day I responded to a new rider's questions about his LT and I noted that over 100 mph I started getting an oscillation in the front end of my LT that increased with speed. If I put my windshield down, it reduced the oscillation considerably. I have ME 880's that are in really good condition at 6,500 miles,and the pressures are 47 rear, and 42 front.

I stood looking at the LT today and my eyes settled on the Euro wings I ordered with my Cee Bailey +2, -4 windshield. They stick out like bat wings and I started thinking that maybe they were causing turbulence at higher speeds.

I probably am going to get another one without the Euro wings later this summer due to dings and chingers from rocks and debris hitting it over the last year or so.
100+ !
No LEOS's inTucson?

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #3 of 12 Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 11:13 am

Yeah, that could be part of the "turbulence" generating problem.

So, remove the windscreen and ride again.. same problem?

(don't forget to use a full coverage helmet with the face screen down... and "tuck in".

also.. remove the trunk.. that brick can cause some problems at those speeds.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #4 of 12 Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 2:35 pm Thread Starter

Smile

Yes, there are LEO's in my area but, I've been very lucky and now that I've talked about it, Murphy probably has been listening and my time could well be at hand. First offense.....traffic school on Saturdays to remove the points and record of the citation. One good Get Out of Jail card allowed every three years.
post #5 of 12 Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 3:04 pm

Save your saturdays and stay below 100+. That will solve your problem:-)

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #6 of 12 Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 5:35 pm

What shape is the front tire??

My oscillation went away with the tire change.

David Major
Charleston, SC
-2003 LT
-2007 GS Adventure. White
post #7 of 12 Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 7:01 pm

I've heard of these symptoms - but only from Hayabusa pilots.

It is due to the perforations in the seat cover material.

Above 175 mph the additional airflow will cause a vortex in the time/space flux that will eventually suck your intestines out.

Not a pretty picture.

(Ditch the cheesey acrylic windshield Lee and go back to a polycarbonate OEM or V-stream. Acrylic is so flimsy it will "flutter" at high speeds.
You will also have about 25 times the impact resistance. )

Ride fast. Ride hard. Ride often.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #8 of 12 Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 7:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocityguy

I would guess you were experiencing a phenomenon called vortex shedding. Here is a fairly straightforward description.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex_shedding

Although cylindrical objects are often shown in examples, an object does not have to be a cylinder in order to shed vortices.

Voyager
post #9 of 12 Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 7:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
I would guess you were experiencing a phenomenon called vortex shedding. Here is a fairly straightforward description.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex_shedding

Although cylindrical objects are often shown in examples, an object does not have to be a cylinder in order to shed vortices.

Voyager
What he really needs are vortex generators - on the outside of the Cee Bailey's "wings":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex_generator

Damn. Don't ya just love Wiki?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vortex generators.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	13305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cee Bailey wings.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	13306  

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Jul 22nd, 2007 at 7:17 pm.
post #10 of 12 Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 7:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
What he really needs are vortex generators - on the outside of the Cee Bailey's "wings":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex_generator

Damn. Don't ya just love Wiki?
The only flaw in your logic is that there is no boundary layer to energize once you are past the back of the windshield!

Voyager
post #11 of 12 Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 8:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
The only flaw in your logic is that there is no boundary layer to energize once you are past the back of the windshield!

Voyager
There 'ya go!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #12 of 12 Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 8:54 am Thread Starter

So let's see if I've got this right. In order to keep up with my Hayabusa riding buddies all I need to do is tape ribbons to my CB wings to disrupt the vortex as well as put duct tape over all the perforations in my KonTours seat.

Gee! That sounds like something I can do for next weekend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in