For the Harley Bashers - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 4:09 pm Thread Starter

For the Harley Bashers

Three of my friends and I just completed a 4897 mile run from Summerville, SC to the Southwest and back in nine days. The first 1500 of those miles was an Iron Butt run which we completed with in the 36 hour time frame (less than 35 hours with delays for accidents on the interstates and lots of rain in Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, and Oklahoma).

My 2006 K1200LT did great. Along with me was an Ultra, a Yamaha Vulcan, and a R1150GS. The guy on the Vulcan is now getting a 2008 Ultra.....

We had a great time touring the Four Corners and Mesa Verde, Bryce Canyon, the Red Canyon, and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.

There was an annoying disappointment to me though. Most every bike we met regardless of make gave us the traditional biker wave or acknowledged our wave. The exception was not one but two LT's did not offer or return our wave with me in front leading the way. One was in I-40 near Oklahoma City the other in Albuqueque and so close we could have shook hands. This did not go unnoticed by my Buds and of course they are having fun ribbing me about it. One of their favorite comments are to the effect ' that thing is so big it is all the poor devil can do to ride it, if he waved he may loose it...

So there are SNOBS on LT's as well.......

Disappointed Gene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 4:26 pm

For the Harley Bashers

Why BMW riders don't wave:

Your hand might freeze if you take it off of the heated grip!!!

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge
post #3 of 27 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 4:30 pm

Too often get the finger in return from guys on Harleys...multiple times I have received that response.

post #4 of 27 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 4:54 pm

I really like watching the road not rude just careful
post #5 of 27 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 5:03 pm

BMW riders too busy adjusting cruise, gps, radio, windshield, etc to wave. duh.

If I'm not concentrating on something else, I always wave to everyone on a motorcycle.

Cut them some slack. May have been looking elsewhere, or saw the cruisers and decided to snub them first.,..lol

I see no correlation to what you ride and whether you wave or not in my riding.

Randy
post #6 of 27 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 5:30 pm

Talking

They don't want to spill the cappuccino they are holding in their right hand while the left hand is plugging new coordinates into the GPS!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 27 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 5:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briantime

Too often get the finger in return from guys on Harleys...multiple times I have received that response.
In all my 40+ years of riding various bikes, the last three on my LT, I have never once encountered or heard of such a response to a "biker wave". How do you get them to give you the finger? My personal experience is like Gene's, it's the LT riders who seem to not notice or not respond to passing riders "hey bro" wave. -Chuck-

'05 K1200LT
'92 FXSTC
'66 HD Sprint
IBA #375

"Eat, Drink and be Merry for tomorrow we Ride"
post #8 of 27 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 6:03 pm

I wave at everyone on a motorcycle, including cops. The only people that consistently do not wave back are not brand related but handlebar related. Those with the very high (ape hanger) handlebars almost never wave. I think they are afraid to let go.

AKA "Speedbump"

Past:
2000 RT
2003 LT
2007 GSA
2013 GS
Another 2007 GSA
2007 RTP
post #9 of 27 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 6:30 pm

Wink The Finger

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieg
In all my 40+ years of riding various bikes, the last three on my LT, I have never once encountered or heard of such a response to a "biker wave". How do you get them to give you the finger? My personal experience is like Gene's, it's the LT riders who seem to not notice or not respond to passing riders "hey bro" wave. -Chuck-
Sorry, I did a search and now see how you get them to give you the finger, the "LT wave".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LT_wave1.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	13219  

'05 K1200LT
'92 FXSTC
'66 HD Sprint
IBA #375

"Eat, Drink and be Merry for tomorrow we Ride"
post #10 of 27 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 8:19 pm

wave

+1 for what biker bob said.
post #11 of 27 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 8:29 pm

LT Wave

I used to wave at everyone when I had my Yamaha. Now that I have an LT, I find that I rarely wave at anyone who is not riding a Beemer......LOL.......Yeah, right! I wave at everyone. The best bike in the world is the one you are riding. Ride safe and have fun.......

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #12 of 27 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 8:30 pm Thread Starter

Must admit I will use some of the reasons above in rebuttle to my ribbing.

Me if I am able I wave or at least give a nod with head. If they do not wave back I consider it their issue not mine.

Thank you for the input.

Gene
post #13 of 27 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 5:14 am

Just tell em we have a secret wave.

Its really cool they couldn't detect it.

BMW riders are much to subtle for HAWG!!!! riders.

:--))

Bob, 0h 0h LT
post #14 of 27 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 6:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBaker
Me if I am able I wave or at least give a nod with head.

The same here, Safety first. But some times I do not wave if the rider is just wearing a helmet, sandals and shorts.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need to stay awake

post #15 of 27 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 6:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf
The same here, Safety first. But some times I do not wave if the rider is just wearing a helmet, sandals and shorts.
Exactly. In view of the average age of LT riders (see age threads) I wouldn't want to see most of us in shorts either.
post #16 of 27 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 11:42 am

I wave at everyone EXCEPT. . .

It is my nature to wave at everyone, including scoots and trikes.

But over the years, I've gotten very tired of not receiveing a return wave from the Wingdingers, so I gave up waving at them. It's their loss.
post #17 of 27 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 12:20 pm

What kind of bike was that?

You make me feel so inadequate. There is very little chance that I'll notice what kind of bike oncoming drivers are sitting on in time to decide whether to wave or not. Moreover, there isn't a much greater chance that I'll notice what the drivers are wearing. If I tried to notice, I'd probably steer right into them.

An LEO friend tells me he doesn't wave anymore. Too many bikes on the road these days. There is some logic to that. Back in the far and few days, meeting another biker was an event. Nowadays, I can't drive to the local 7-11 without encountering several. Has the tradition outlasted it's purpose? Especially with so many newbies on the road today.

Question about group etiquette: does only the front rider wave, or the front/last rider, or should everyone?
post #18 of 27 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 3:49 pm

If the group rides together a lot, they should have sessions so that they can wave together, just like a synchronized swimming team. :-))

Was it KDOG or Munson that first came up with the LT wave?

Yea. I remember it from the Little Rascals shorts.

Bob 0h 0h LT
post #19 of 27 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 4:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
If the group rides together a lot, they should have sessions so that they can wave together, just like a synchronized swimming team. :-))

Was it KDOG or Munson that first came up with the LT wave?

Yea. I remember it from the Little Rascals shorts.

Bob 0h 0h LT
'Twas that Mary Kay rep, Grif!!!
post #20 of 27 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 6:07 pm
was

Regional differences

Personally, I wave (or rather, loosely hold out a hand unless I am gearing up or down). It's my way of acknowledging another person's choice of mode of transportation. I've gotten to the point where I do not expect anything in return, and so am not disappointed if there is no return wave. In the northeast my experience has been that 30 - 50% of motorcyclists wave, usually as a return wave rather than a spontaneously generated wave. During a recent longer ride, I was surprised to find that nearly every motorcyclist and nearly every pillion waved, often spontaneously, in large parts of Canada, the Pacific Northwest, the Prairy states, and the midwest (outside of large cities). Motorcyclists in those areas are also much more likely to start conversations at rest stops and gas stations than I am used to. Harley owners in particular seemed to make absolutely no "status" attributions based on the make of other motorcycles. What a refreshing difference.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #21 of 27 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 6:19 pm

Garage
Reasons bikers don't wave

Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Afraid it will invalidate warranty.

9. Leather and studs make it too heavy to raise arm.

8. Refuse to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.

7. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.

6. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.

5. Angry because just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.

4. Just discovered the fine print in owner's manual and realized H-D is partially owned by Honda.

3. Can't tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.

2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet.

1. They're too tired from spending hours polishing all that chrome to lift their arms.

Top Ten Reasons Why Gold Wing Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Wasn't sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture.

9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.

8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.

7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.

6. The espresso machine just finished.

5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.

4. Was in a three-way conference call with stockbroker and accessories dealer.

3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.

2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player, seat temperature and satellite navigation system.

1. Couldn't find the "auto wave back" button on dashboard.

Top 10 Reasons Sportbikers Don't Wave

10. They have not been riding long enough to know they're supposed to.

9. They're going too fast to have time enough to register the movement and respond.

8. You weren't wearing bright enough gear.

7. If they stick their arm out going that fast they'll rip it out of the socket.

6. They're too occupied with trying to get rid of their chicken strips.

5. They look way too cool with both hands on the bars or they don't want to unbalance themselves while standing on the tank.

4. Their skin tight-Kevlar-ballistic-nylon-kangaro o-leather suits prevent any position other than fetal.

3. Raising an arm allows bugs into the armholes of their tank tops.

2. It's too hard to do one-handed stoppies.

1. They were too busy slipping their flip-flop back on.

Top Ten Reasons Why BMW Riders Don't Wave Back

10. New Aerostich suit too stiff to raise arm.

9. Removing a hand from the bars is considered "bad form. "

8. Your bike isn't weird enough looking to justify acknowledgement.

7. Too sore from an 800-mile day on a stock "comfort" seat.

6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to ipod, XM, or talking on the cell phone.

5. He's an Iron Butt rider and you're not!.

4. Wires from Gerbings is too short.

3. You're not riding the "right kind" of BMW.

2. You haven't been properly introduced.

1. Afraid it will be misinterpreted as a friendly gesture.

And Finally. Top Ten reasons Metric Cruiser Riders don't wave back

10. New leather jacket was purchased at the same size as suit jacket.

9. Didn't know that the bike wouldn't fly off the road if left hand was removed.

8. Was looking at the handle bars wondering what accessory could mount where

7. Was wildly grasping at some valve under seat. (3.7 gals BAH!)

6. Rider was actually pulling up black socks and pulling down on jeans trying to close a few air gaps.

5. Rider was too caught up in reciting his mantra 'Left hand clutch' 'Right hand Gas AND Front brake' 'Left foot Gears' 'Right foot Rear brake' 'And for Gods sake Both feet down at light'.

4. Waved after you went by. You just thought they didn't wave.

3. Was searching GPS to find local Bike wash.

2. Rider wasn't really waving, was doing wind airfoil test with hand and arm.

1. Rider was involved in trying to get new throttle stop to STOP.

Alan
Garden Grove, CA

'07 K1200LT Biaritz Blue (97k miles)
'08 K1200LT Biaritz Blue (76k miles and climbing)

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well - that comes from poor judgment." -A.A. Milne

post #22 of 27 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 8:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent86
I wave at everyone on a motorcycle, including cops. The only people that consistently do not wave back are not brand related but handlebar related. Those with the very high (ape hanger) handlebars almost never wave. I think they are afraid to let go.
That's been my experience, also. My theory is that they have to strap or shacke their wrists to the bars so they won't get too tired holding their arms in that most idiotic of positions.

-----------------------------------------

The word motorcycle is a verb.

2005 K1200LT "Rolf"
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge
post #23 of 27 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 10:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by painlessbob
...Question about group etiquette: does only the front rider wave, or the front/last rider, or should everyone?
I've wondered the same thing -- wave at the first rider? All the riders? And if it's a group ride of 100s, are we expected to hold a wave for 2-3 miles? Wave every 5 seconds? A guy could go crazy worrying about this stuff.

Maybe Ari could fabricate an electric left-side waving hand. Press a button; gloved mannequin hand extends for 3 seconds.

I wave at anybody on 2 wheels, 3 wheels (trikes), on horseback, mowing the yard, jogging alongside the road, or sitting on a porch. If I saw a kid on a unicycle I'd wave at him too, and his Goldwinger parents. I think we waved at 300 bikes today on an all-day ride to the Ohio River and back and they all waved back; sometimes they initiated it. I missed a couple in heavy traffic, and when I can't wave the SO does. Just before reaching home we waved at the firefighters sittting outside our local firehouse. We know these guys.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #24 of 27 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 10:46 pm

Busy talking on bluetooth enabled cell phone, listening to the GPS give directions, pushing buttons trying to get the CB to transmit, and listening for funny noises from the final drive.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #25 of 27 Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 9:44 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

All I know is I wave at all and if they don't wave back fine, no worries. Last night another 70 mile ride and all but 1 Harley rider waved, either first, or back at me.

Not offended in the least.

In my experience riding Harley's there are not many bikes average Harley "bikers" accept as better then a Harley, BMW is for sure one they do.

Personally don't matter what badge I am on I will wave. If others don't, well, they just don't, no biggey.

I am in "BMW Heaven" anyway, so waving, or not, don't mean squat to me.
post #26 of 27 Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 9:57 am

Red face Wavers

Just back from the BMWOA Rally in Wisconsin. About a 2K mile rounder for me and along the way most everyone waved; a few didn't but there are times - regardless of the make/model you are astride - that waving back just ain't the thing to do at the moment. And, you do find AH's on all makes and models - yes, even Bimmers.

Tom Caldwell
'05 LT
post #27 of 27 Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 10:19 am

Oh My God

Soon we will all trade in our bikes for back yard fences to yak to the neighbors over while sipping decaf. Who waves or does not wave is nearly as important and interesting as who uses which motor oil of the hundreds with identical SAE grading.

I must admit, this site gives me a nice chuckle at the end of a long day and for the most part, good useful information.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in