45 mph wobble - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 12:45 pm Thread Starter

45 mph wobble

i brought my 07 lt. in for it's 600 mile service. it has a wobble or shimmie at 45 mph when you loosen your grip on the handle bar. the mechanic has balanced the front wheel and the problem still exists. what might be the problem. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 1:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by logistics
i brought my 07 lt. in for it's 600 mile service. it has a wobble or shimmie at 45 mph when you loosen your grip on the handle bar. the mechanic has balanced the front wheel and the problem still exists. what might be the problem. thanks
For some differing opinions on why that happens with lotsa bikes (not just BMWs), there is some reading material listed near the bottom of this page under "similar threads" column. Also, using the site's search feature will bring up more info than you can imagine.

This 'feature' usually occurs at around the ~45mph speed WHILE you are decelerating and have your hands off the grips. Some folks blame it on tires; others blame it on BMW; and still others blame it on road conditions - or all the above concurrently. Surprised your mechanic didn't discuss the whys and wherefors of this 'feature'!!
post #3 of 14 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 1:50 pm

Like Dick said, BMW treats this wobble as a feature. Their position is that you shouldn't be taking you hands off the handlebars in the first place so there really isn't any problem with the bike. I can duplicate the wobble at a constant speed.

WIth that in mind, I have found that keeping the front tire pressure between 42 and 44 PSI does lessen the wobble. YMMV

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 1:58 pm

I have same thing on my 07 LT and I did have it on my 05 LT. It happens just around the 45mph and goes away when you go faster. It may get worse when tires wear out.
I haven't heard any good ideas or solutions about this, so I keep my hands on grips in that speed range.
BJ

BJ
2015 R Nine T
2007 LT Storm Grey
2005 LT Gold (traded in for '07)
2007 G 650 Xchallenge
post #5 of 14 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 4:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by logistics

"when you loosen your grip on the handle bar."

Just pussin' through.
post #6 of 14 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 6:13 pm

Many of us have had this problem and have solved it with TIRES. On my 05' I have eliminated the problem once with a new rear tire and once with a new front tire both "properly" balanced and inflated to 42psi front 48 psi rear. The tires must be kept consistently inflated to these or similar pressures or they will wear unevenly (cupping, scalloping, feathering, what ever the correct term is) once this starts there is no changing it, just wear them out and get new ones. And keep at least one hand on the bars when in the 40-50 mph range. -Chuck-

'05 K1200LT
'92 FXSTC
'66 HD Sprint
IBA #375

"Eat, Drink and be Merry for tomorrow we Ride"
post #7 of 14 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 6:23 pm

Go to the GoldWing site & the Yamaha Venture site & you'll here about the same wobble.
post #8 of 14 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 8:05 pm

Buy an 03! I guess I'm lucky, but three sets of tires and no wobble yet.

OK, it wobbles a little at about 137 mph.
post #9 of 14 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 2:13 am
glo

My 2004 (UK) LT also has this Wobble although I only noticed it after a Tyre Change and after I had read about it !!. I previously had a 99 LT on which we did 24000 miles and three Tyre Changes and that definately did not wobble. Of course BMW did change the Front End Geometry for the 2004 (UK) so I would be interested to hear if anyone did have the Wobble on a pre-2004 Bike. BMW,s take on the Wobble here in the UK is that, "Yes" it exists and its a "Charateristic" of the Bike and for Safetys sake you shouldn,t be taking your hands off the Bars. This is a Crap and a Cop-Out. Even with both hands on the Bars I can feel and See the wobble at the Grips. And just how am I supposed to Flip up my Visor, make hand traffic signals and gestures etc, etc, without removing at least "one" hand from the Bars.
Mike Tee
post #10 of 14 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 3:26 am

Greetings Logistics.

I suggest you go out and hunt yourself down a '99 model like some of us here. Sweet steering at any speed my friend.

Kindest regards to all those that haven't...

Paul Harrington
AU
E: [email protected]

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
post #11 of 14 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 4:12 am

Logistics,

Is the front tire a B ( Bias ) or a R ( Radial ) ?.

If it is a B, what pressure are you using ?.
post #12 of 14 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 6:58 am

I noticed it once on my 05.
Now I just keep at least one hand on the grips and no problem.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need to stay awake

post #13 of 14 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 7:24 am

I agree. It's definitely the tires, or mounting, or balance. I've been using BT020's on my 2000 for six years now. 2 out of the seven sets I have put on had the wobble. Wear did not make any difference with me. If they did not wobble immediately after they were put on they were good for the life of the tire. Very weird.

Wally O
2000 Champagne LT
post #14 of 14 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 9:07 am
Lifetime Supporter

Cool

I'm on my 4th set of tires and the wobble has been there from the beginning. I use the 42/48 recommended in the tires. It does seem to be worse on this new set, all have been 880s.

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in