Help Wiring A Fuseblock? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 9:03 am Thread Starter

Help Wiring A Fuseblock?

A friend has a Bluesea Fuseblock that we want to install on his LT.

My question is: Where is the best place to get power from to go TO the fuseblock? My thinking would be that you would want it to be "switched" power. Am I correct and where have any of you connected your fuseblocks?

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 9:12 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Jack,

The best way is through a 30Amp relay direct from the battery, with switched power controlling the relay. Several have mounted it either on top of the battery or up in the nose cone. Depends on where the loads are and how easy you want to be able to get to the fuses.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 29 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 9:16 am

Grifscoots installed a fuse block on LoneWolf's bike at the last tech day. He attached the fuse block to the bracket that holds the battery down. He ran power from the battery to a relay (that he added), and then he ran power back to the fuse block from the relay. Then he simply found a switched power source on the bike to energize the relay when the key was on. I don't think the fuse block he used was a Bluesea though, so you might want to check clearance before you mount to the top of the battery bracket. The Bluesea looks bigger than the fuse block that Griff was using.

post #4 of 29 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 9:48 am

Garage
Dave Sealy recommends tying the fuse box and relay to the hot wire on the seat heater. This way when you turn the key off, all power to the fuse box is also cut off.

See this thread here: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11657

I bought the Bluesea Fuse box and the wiring. I just need to buy the relay and then attempt to do the install.

Please let me know how it goes!

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #5 of 29 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 10:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVB1019
Dave Sealy recommends tying the fuse box and relay to the hot wire on the seat heater. This way when you turn the key off, all power to the fuse box is also cut off.
Actually, he recommends tying only the relay coil to the seat heater circuit. You should tie the switched contacts of the relay to the battery and then to the relay fuse block.

The seat heater circuit would not be able to handle the load of all the fuses in the fuse block, particularly at the same time the seat heater is being used.
post #6 of 29 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 10:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_BMW
Grifscoots installed a fuse block on LoneWolf's bike at the last tech day. He attached the fuse block to the bracket that holds the battery down. He ran power from the battery to a relay (that he added), and then he ran power back to the fuse block from the relay. Then he simply found a switched power source on the bike to energize the relay when the key was on. I don't think the fuse block he used was a Bluesea though, so you might want to check clearance before you mount to the top of the battery bracket. The Bluesea looks bigger than the fuse block that Griff was using.
This be true. I removed the metal hold down bracket on top of the battery, drilled corresponding holes to match the feets of the fuse block and attached. Installed back to the battery. I drew power from the bike side of the seat heater. That way when you remove the seat, you won't have dink with an extra wire.

It's imperative that you fuse the box as close to the box as you can. I like using these circuit breakers as they reset. Of course, if you follow good wiring practices, you'll never have a problem. I double sided taped this breaker next to the fuse box and covered the tips with some plastic caps to alleviate an accidental short.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #7 of 29 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 10:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassroots
It's imperative that you fuse the box as close to the box as you can.
I agree... but I think you meant to fuse as close to the battery as you can. I also prefer the circuit breaker idea, but another option would be to install a fusible link wire at your battery connection. A properly sized fusible link wire will burn up before it will allow enough current to pass through it to do major damage to your fuse block or battery. It is a one time device however, but it does allow for a clean neat install, particularly when space is tight. Most parts stores sell fusible link wire in pre-cut short lengths.
post #8 of 29 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 1:21 pm

Quote:
I agree... but I think you meant to fuse as close to the battery as you can. I also prefer the circuit breaker idea, but another option would be to install a fusible link wire at your battery connection. A properly sized fusible link wire will burn up before it will allow enough current to pass through it to do major damage to your fuse block or battery. It is a one time device however, but it does allow for a clean neat install, particularly when space is tight. Most parts stores sell fusible link wire in pre-cut short lengths.
Yeah, that's what I meant, but what I think and what ends up in the world are two different thangs.

Fusing is what's in the mind of the beholder, chocolate of vanilla ice cream. If it's a momentary short, the fuse box is dead in the water with a fusible link, the circuit breaker resets.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #9 of 29 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 1:46 pm

We're going to use everything that has been suggested, but does anyone have a part number for the relay...any specific one?
post #10 of 29 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 3:14 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

They are standard SPST automotive types rated at 30 amps, available at all auto parts stores.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #11 of 29 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 3:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldan2
We're going to use everything that has been suggested, but does anyone have a part number for the relay...any specific one?
Another can of worms! There's your standard relay, your waterproof relay, you can buy the harness kit and relay and now, there's the new, solid state, no moving parts relay. Those puppies go for $18 apiece! Channing did a buy and I got a couple from him. Can't wait to try one, but I'll prolly have to ask him how to wire it again since I didn't write it down.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #12 of 29 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 3:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Another can of worms! There's your standard relay, your waterproof relay, you can buy the harness kit and relay and now, there's the new, solid state, no moving parts relay. Those puppies go for $18 apiece! Channing did a buy and I got a couple from him. Can't wait to try one, but I'll prolly have to ask him how to wire it again since I didn't write it down.
Solid State Relays are good for many things, but if one is worried about getting full voltage to accessories, they are not a great choice. Solid State relays will always have a voltage drop across them, something in the order of 0.6-1.2 volts, depending on the type of solid state power controlling device is used in them. Some accessories do not cater well to much of a voltage drop on automotive systems. Lighting is really affected by voltage drop, with considerable light output sacrificed with relatively small voltage drops. I would stick to a water resistant or well protected standard hard contact relay.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #13 of 29 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 3:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Solid State Relays are good for many things, but if one is worried about getting full voltage to accessories, they are not a great choice. Solid State relays will always have a voltage drop across them, something in the order of 0.6-1.2 volts, depending on the type of solid state power controlling device is used in them. Some accessories do not cater well to much of a voltage drop on automotive systems. Lighting is really affected by voltage drop, with considerable light output sacrificed with relatively small voltage drops. I would stick to a water resistant or well protected standard hard contact relay.
So, what you're really trying to say is I got bent over?

-=grif=-

Grok
post #14 of 29 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 3:58 pm

Thumbs up Harness the power!

Quote:
Guys, Let me weigh in as well.. If you are a bit hesitant to do all the connections and discover your errors, Obtain a Harness kit for the deal. I have used a pre-wired harness kit by Pilot #PL-HARN3 that I found at PepBoys but I suspect most auto parts stores have this or similar.. contains a complete fused harness capable of 2 connections, a REAL relay, and a neat little switch that you can even mount remote if you want the entire power system to be selectable on/off by you! It was only $19.99 TOTAL!! I have considerable experience in all form of electrical and electronic system design and implementation and I cant even buy the parts one by one for this price, and I don't have to build it!

Bill
KLR650
Looking for the next machine :<)
Lafayette, Indiana
post #15 of 29 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 4:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldan2
You can use the standard 4 or 5 pin auto relay. What I do on bikes is take it apart, 2 tabs, add RTV to the mating surfaces and reattach the 2 halves. Use waterproof grease at the terminal connections. They last quite a while like this. Reason I like standard relays rather than sealed units, is when they do unexpectedly fail you on the road, often times you can open them up, clean the contacts and limp home.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #16 of 29 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 4:41 pm

LT wiring

I used a Painless relay/fuse block and installed it on top of the right saddle-bag. I do have to remove the rear seat but it fits real nice there.

Autocom PRO-AVI is ontop of the other saddle bag.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my-painless fuseblock2small.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	13218  

David Major
Charleston, SC
-2003 LT
-2007 GS Adventure. White
post #17 of 29 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 5:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmajor
I used a Painless relay/fuse block and installed it on top of the right saddle-bag. I do have to remove the rear seat but it fits real nice there.

Autocom PRO-AVI is ontop of the other saddle bag.
I love the Painless Fuse box, had one on the LT and now on the GT. The unswitched circuits come in real handy!

-=grif=-

Grok
post #18 of 29 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 6:53 pm

Quote:
I love the Painless Fuse box, had one on the LT and now on the GT. The unswitched circuits come in real handy!
Hmmmm - I got that Centach one you gave me, plus I bought a Blue Sea off of Doug. Neither one of 'em are installed - reckon I oughta donate 'em to the auction table at Tan-Tar-A and shop around for a Painless?? That'll give Davey sumpthin' to do next time ole Toad is nekkid!!
post #19 of 29 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 7:13 pm

Quote:
So, what you're really trying to say is I got bent over?
Not necessarily, depends on what you are trying to drive through the relay. If you hook one of them up, check the drop across it. Easy to do, just put an accurate meter across the two power leads on the relay to see what the drop is, or measure the voltage TO the relay, then the voltage OUT of it, and see what the difference is.

Solid State relays are really great for some uses, but especially AC ones. or higher voltage power DC uses. Sometimes too much voltage drop for lower voltage DC uses though.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #20 of 29 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 8:38 pm

Quote:
Easy to do, just put an accurate meter across the two power leads
I'll be sure to use my volt meter that reads English instead of metric.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #21 of 29 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 10:50 pm

Quote:
I'll be sure to use my volt meter that reads English instead of metric.
Grif, unfortunately the technology does not allow you to build a solid state switch that has no voltage drop. The same is true when you use a diode to isolate circuits to prevent back feeding. A single P-N junction in silicone based devices is around .7 volts (theoretically, I think it is closer to .6). Forward biased silicone diodes are also the same.

If you want to split hairs, there is no wire that doesn't have voltage drop either... but that would open a whole can of worms... most of it a waste of time. Just remember to size your wire properly for the load and everything will be ok. We are talking about .6 volts of drop on a switch, and you could just as easily have that much voltage drop on wiring on your heavier current devices. Just imagine switching a load with a solid state relay that has undersized wiring.. now you have two voltage drops added together.
post #22 of 29 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 10:54 pm

Quote:
Just imagine switching a load with a solid state relay that has undersized wiring.. now you have two voltage drops added together.
Man, getting a 4 gauge wire on one of those leetle terminals is gonna be a bitch!

-=grif=-

Grok
post #23 of 29 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 11:02 pm

Quote:
Man, getting a 4 gauge wire on one of those leetle terminals is gonna be a bitch!
hehe.... were you going to install one of those 2000 watt amps to power the sub woofers in your trunk?
post #24 of 29 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 12:14 am Thread Starter

Got The Fuseblock In!

Here are "before" and "after" photos. Check it out! Looks much cleaner!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BLUESEA 001.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	13584   Click image for larger version

Name:	BLUESEA 002.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	13585  

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #25 of 29 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 12:17 am

Smile

Thats really nice Jack, a lot of work went into that.
post #26 of 29 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 12:28 am Thread Starter

Here's a better "before" and "after"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BLUESEA 001.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	13586   Click image for larger version

Name:	BLUESEA 004.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	13587  

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #27 of 29 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 7:48 am

Very nice. Good work. Jack. For battery access does the fuse block pivot out of the way easily?

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #28 of 29 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 10:02 am

That's a LOT of wires. What all do they go to?

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #29 of 29 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 12:32 pm

Check this out

The cleanest fuse block installation you'll ever see is in post #7 of this thread:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...205#post201205

GB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in