Got lucky, only a bearing and seals - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 8:27 pm Thread Starter

Smile Got lucky, only a bearing and seals

I reported earlier that I was another victim of a rear end failure, but I got a call from the service manager today that after tearing the rear end down, all it needed was a bearing and seal. I'm going out tomorrow to pick up my 2002 LT and find out how much damage to the wallet.

Frank in California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 8:57 pm

Oh boy. Another bearing and seal job. Stay close to home.

Now why would I say something like this? Because, we've seen a high percentage of repaired rear drives that fail again. The failure rate of repaired drives seems to be higher than for original drives.

The service manual calls for setting up the entire rear drive after the bearing has been changed. It's a pretty elaborate procedure and most service techs can't be bothered to do it. In fact, the esteemed Paul Glaves has stated that it's not necessary if all you're doing is replacing the crown bearing. However, the manual does call for it. Plus I think it's only common sense to check the drive's setup after it failed. After all, you really can't be sure why it failed. It may have failed because it was never set up properly from the factory. Not to mention that the replaced bearing might not be *exactly* the same thickness as the original.

Good luck!
-joel
post #3 of 5 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 11:44 am Thread Starter

Joel,
Thanks for the encouraging news. When I pick my motorcycle up today, I'll inquire further about what the mechanic saw and did wen he had the rear drive apart. I will mention what you said. Seriously, thanks for the warning.

Frank

post #4 of 5 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 4:13 pm

Also, grab the rear wheel @ 3 and 9 or 12 and 6 o'clock and make sure there is no movement pushing to and fro. I just had bearings and seals replaced. When I got home I still had play, enough to see. Needless to say it's back in the shop...
post #5 of 5 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 6:15 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice, Alan. Mine seems ok. When I asked the service manager at Diablo BMW about a warranty, he told me it was 2 years. I think that it is fair. I need to ask him what I am supposed to do if it breaks down in Kansas next year.

Frank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in