I'm thinking of installing my own replacement shocks! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 10:42 am Thread Starter

I'm thinking of installing my own replacement shocks!

Seems like I saw information information pertaining to replacement shock installation but I can't find it. Help on the link? About how long does it take to do the installation? Are there any special tools needed? Now for the real simple question; How hard is it to do the installation by myself? Any suggestions?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 10:53 am

Someone will shout with the link for you - it is here somewhere.
I managed it - 1st big job I had ever done really.
No special tools (but you need 2x19 spanner IIRC)
Need thread loc
Took me a month - BUT, I was enjoying it and really taking my time. People here have done them in a day easy.
You wont believe how good it will feel after!

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 29 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 10:56 am

Do a search on ohlins install - lots of results.....
Also go into the archives of the old site and do the same search....

Basically it takes 1/2 day and you may as well do a 12k while you have the LT apart. It really helps if you have a least one extra set of hands to help.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else

post #4 of 29 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 11:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
You have to remove the Radio Stingray to get to the top of the front shock.
I've slept since then, but I thought there is a way to remove the front without removing the stingray.

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

post #5 of 29 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 1:19 pm Thread Starter

tanks

I'm getting all of the knowledge together and gradually working up my nerve. Last major tasks were installing the Remus, HID, GPS and intercom. Guess this can't be that bad! Looks like a good weekend project.Is there any difference between the Ohlins and Wilbur installation?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #6 of 29 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 1:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod
I've slept since then, but I thought there is a way to remove the front without removing the stingray.
You HAVE to remove the stingray, or you won't be able to remove the middle, silver cover where the ignition key is. Of course, to remove that, you have to remove the handlebar covers. I even remove the gas tank to make it easier.

Note: It's best to remove the rear shock, then jack up the front of the bike to get the front shock off. And it won't come off unless you get up in the shock tower and remove a rubber bumper first.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #7 of 29 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 1:25 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod
Nope, but there is a way where you don't undo the telelever ball joint. Just remove the front tire and disconnect the mounting of the brake lines to the forks and you can get enough downward movement to remove the shock. This leaves the ball joint (and its green loctite) intact. No special tools - no high torque.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #8 of 29 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 1:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Nope, but there is a way where you don't undo the telelever ball joint. Just remove the front tire and disconnect the mounting of the brake lines to the forks and you can get enough downward movement to remove the shock. This leaves the ball joint (and its green loctite) intact. No special tools - no high torque.
You don't have to do that if you remove the rear shock first. This allows the bike to be jacked high enough.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #9 of 29 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 3:05 pm

Also be very carefull when you jack the front end up - This will stretch the front brake lines ( I actually remove the calipers and unhook the lines so they won't get damaged).

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #10 of 29 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 3:45 pm Thread Starter

maybe above my average skill

Starting to think that this potential project might be just a little advanced for my skill. Think I'll check with the local shop to see if it's worth the time $$$ I'll save. Looks like about a 4-6 hour shop special. I do appreciate to advise and will keep reading...

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #11 of 29 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 4:42 pm

http://www.ohlins.com/Motorcycle/Hid...0/Default.aspx

I'm too computer illiterate to make a real link, but the Ohlins site has step by step instructions. Doesn't seem bad at all unless their leaving out steps. I am preparing to purchase shocks, I spoke with Ted Porter at the "Beemer Shop",(beemershop.com). He sells both Ohlins and Wilburs, the current price is $1,277 front and back for Wilburs and $1,500 for the Ohlins. Both manufacturers offer the rear with rebound damping and the remote preload. The Wilburs however has rebound damping adjustment whereas the Ohlins does not. Turnaround time is aprox. 3 weeks He also stated that Wilburs was in the process of establishing a NA headquarters in Florida. I had never spoken with Ted, he was a pleasure to talk to on the phone. I plan on placing an order for the Wilburs.
post #12 of 29 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 4:53 pm Thread Starter

great information

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanforn
http://www.ohlins.com/Motorcycle/Hid...0/Default.aspx

I'm too computer illiterate to make a real link, but the Ohlins site has step by step instructions. Doesn't seem bad at all unless their leaving out steps. I am preparing to purchase shocks, I spoke with Ted Porter at the "Beemer Shop",(beemershop.com). He sells both Ohlins and Wilburs, the current price is $1,277 front and back for Wilburs and $1,500 for the Ohlins. Both manufacturers offer the rear with rebound damping and the remote preload. The Wilburs however has rebound damping adjustment whereas the Ohlins does not. Turnaround time is aprox. 3 weeks He also stated that Wilburs was in the process of establishing a NA headquarters in Florida. I had never spoken with Ted, he was a pleasure to talk to on the phone. I plan on placing an order for the Wilburs.
tanks.....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #13 of 29 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 5:05 pm Thread Starter

Manual seems almost too easy!

I opened all three and the instructions seem to be too simplistic.... Seems like steps are left out. Can't see how it could take so long to install, as others have said. Someone said it was necessary to remove the fuel tank for the front shock. Curious to hear you installation experience. Wish I could "assist" your installation.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL

Last edited by dandiver; Jul 19th, 2007 at 5:12 pm.
post #14 of 29 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 5:29 pm

Hey Dano, I've done a bunch of them, sometimes during tech sessions where I was bouncing around. If you're comfortable doing a 12k and don't drop the nut on the back of the top of the rear shock, you won't have a problem.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #15 of 29 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 8:09 pm Thread Starter

tanks

As usual the members of this board have given me the confidence to tackle a lot of projects that I previously would not have attempted. Most likely, I'll get started as soon as I get back in town. Seems like the hardest step is the FIRST one.

Been called away unexpectedly and will probably pull the trigger soon.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #16 of 29 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 9:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
As usual the members of this board have given me the confidence to tackle a lot of projects that I previously would not have attempted. Most likely, I'll get started as soon as I get back in town. Seems like the hardest step is the FIRST one.

Been called away unexpectedly and will probably pull the trigger soon.
You did go to http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/faq.php?...ow_faq_cussusp where several folks have detailed the process, right?

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

post #17 of 29 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 9:58 pm

Mike from Medina, Messenger 13 and a little help form me (someone had to take the pictures) roughly 2 hourss for the whole job, at Howards place.
Rock

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge

Rock

post #18 of 29 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 10:32 pm Thread Starter

Smile ding, ding, ding !!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffklt
You did go to http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/faq.php?...ow_faq_cussusp where several folks have detailed the process, right?
I have been brain dead this past week and could not locate it, THANKS

That's what I was looking for. Knew it was around.....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #19 of 29 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 9:27 am

Hey Dan,
I've done and/or assisted with a few shock replacements including my own and Dave Dragon. I have a lift and a few tools lying around. So, if you'd be interested in riding up here to Mount Dora I'd be pleased to let you use my work shop and offer you moral support. If your interested, let me know and we'll pick a date and perhaps even be able to get a few other folks who are interested in learning/helping to come along as well. Gee, if the date doesn't conflict with CCR we might even be able to convince Dave Dragon to show up and that way you and he could join up and ride up together!

Lynn

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #20 of 29 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 9:36 am Thread Starter

That sounds AWSOME !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen
Hey Dan,
I've done and/or assisted with a few shock replacements including my own and Dave Dragon. I have a lift and a few tools lying around. So, if you'd be interested in riding up here to Mount Dora I'd be pleased to let you use my work shop and offer you moral support. If your interested, let me know and we'll pick a date and perhaps even be able to get a few other folks who are interested in learning/helping to come along as well. Gee, if the date doesn't conflict with CCR we might even be able to convince Dave Dragon to show up and that way you and he could join up and ride up together!

Lynn
Hi Lynn,

I am presently in SC for a family matter (been here for about 2 weeks) and don't know when I'll be back to Tampa, but I will definitely take you up on the generous offer. As soon as I get back and can order the shocks, I'll get with you to coordinate the project. Most likely end of August of maybe early Sept. As there is no rush, we have plenty of time to plan. I'll get with you a little later to get your best schedule.... thanks,

dan

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #21 of 29 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 9:49 am

Sounds good.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold

post #22 of 29 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 4:36 pm

Wish I had know your were in SC. I live in Charleston, SC.

The rear is easy...

The front has one BIG trick- When you get the shock bolts loose, it will NOT come out!!!! I fought mine for at least a day. Finally called Klause [Wilbers].

The secret- once the shock is loose, lower it as low as possible in the A frame. Then, with your small hand, reach up into the shock tower and remove the rubber donut and washer on the top shock bolt. Then, you move the shock all the way back up into the tower. With the donut out, the shock will go up enough to allow the lower end of the shock to clear the A frame and come out.

To install new one, just reverse. Put the shock up into the tower with out the donut and washer. Once at max height, the bottom of the shock should be able to be moved into the A frame area. Once this is done, lower the shock as far as possible and again with your small hand and fingers- put the donut and washer onto the top. Then move the shock up into the tower and put the top nut back on. Then attach the lower end.

We did 3 in one day at Jeff's Strip Joint in Myrtle Beach. With a little Blue Grass music and Jeff's cigar, it's amazing what you can get done.!!

David Major
Charleston, SC
-2003 LT
-2007 GS Adventure. White
post #23 of 29 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 5:24 pm Thread Starter

I'm out in the sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmajor
Wish I had know your were in SC. I live in Charleston, SC.

The rear is easy...

The front has one BIG trick- When you get the shock bolts loose, it will NOT come out!!!! I fought mine for at least a day. Finally called Klause [Wilbers].

The secret- once the shock is loose, lower it as low as possible in the A frame. Then, with your small hand, reach up into the shock tower and remove the rubber donut and washer on the top shock bolt. Then, you move the shock all the way back up into the tower. With the donut out, the shock will go up enough to allow the lower end of the shock to clear the A frame and come out.

To install new one, just reverse. Put the shock up into the tower with out the donut and washer. Once at max height, the bottom of the shock should be able to be moved into the A frame area. Once this is done, lower the shock as far as possible and again with your small hand and fingers- put the donut and washer onto the top. Then move the shock up into the tower and put the top nut back on. Then attach the lower end.

We did 3 in one day at Jeff's Strip Joint in Myrtle Beach. With a little Blue Grass music and Jeff's cigar, it's amazing what you can get done.!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm in a little town called Summerton (actually outside of the town on the lake) taking care of some family matters. I rode up from Florida about two weeks ago unexpectedly and will probably be here another week. Got to thinking about new shocks several weeks ago and will finally get around to it next month. Appreciate the tips. Got them all printed out. Damn, it hotter up here than in Tampa. Got to get back south to cool off. Thanks again for the tips. One less problem !!!!!!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #24 of 29 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 8:10 pm

Quote:
Seems like I saw information information pertaining to replacement shock installation but I can't find it. Help on the link? About how long does it take to do the installation? Are there any special tools needed? Now for the real simple question; How hard is it to do the installation by myself? Any suggestions?
piece of cake!

go for it, you could have it done in a few hours, I did a wriote up long ago doing it without taking off the ball joint or grinding anything

anyone that has done it the that way has not had to grind or remove the ball joints

do a search you should find it wrtten by
tmgs
post #25 of 29 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 8:13 pm

Quote:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm in a little town called Summerton around to it next month. Appreciate the tips. Got them all printed out. Damn, it hotter up here than in Tampa. Got to get back south to cool off. Thanks again for the tips. One less problem !!!!!!
another tip,
a long (I use a 24") extension and a wobble socket work really well for getting to the inside top rear shock nut from the left side of the bike to the rear of the gas tank and low
post #26 of 29 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 9:36 pm Thread Starter

making a list

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
another tip,
a long (I use a 24") extension and a wobble socket work really well for getting to the inside top rear shock nut from the left side of the bike to the rear of the gas tank and low
tanks, I'm making a list of tools and accessories needed for the task.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #27 of 29 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 8:39 am

Quote:
tanks, I'm making a list of tools and accessories needed for the task.
"and accessories"

Oh boy htis is gong to get expensive!

<grin>

don;t worry you will have some good folks to help if your around Lynn and them, (do me a favor though, give Lynn a HArd time for me.

ya know bring him a sticker or something to the effect of

Trailers are for boats!

(hahahaha) ya see how tough I am! I poke him when I'm like 600 miles north! (grin)

Tom (just kidding Lynn!)
post #28 of 29 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 9:20 am

[QUOTE=tmgs(do me a favor though, give Lynn a HArd time for me.

ya know bring him a sticker or something to the effect of

Trailers are for boats!

(hahahaha) ya see how tough I am! I poke him when I'm like 600 miles north! (grin)

Tom (just kidding Lynn!)[/QUOTE]
Hey ya young wipper snapper! Ya just won't give it a rest will ya! :~)
Just wait, with a little luck you may get old too!

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold

post #29 of 29 Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 7:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen
Hey ya young wipper snapper! Ya just won't give it a rest will ya! :~)
Just wait, with a little luck you may get old too!

I was just checkin to see if yer paying attention ya know! <grin>

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in