Puzzled !! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 7:30 am Thread Starter
glo

Puzzled !!

Just been crawling under the Bike cleaning off some of the Road Crap when I noticed that there are what appears to be "two" sealing washers under the Drain Plug of the Rear Drive. The "Inner" of these washers (the one next to the Drive Casing) seems to be "torn". The Bike has done 7400 miles and is a 2004 so the Drive Oil should have been changed at the last Annual Service or at the 6000 mile Service I had done a few weeks ago. I,m scared to attempt to remove the Plug in case the Casing Threads have been damaged and then it will become my problem. The Bike is under Warranty. Any Advice appreciated
Thanks
Mike Tee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 8:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by glo
Just been crawling under the Bike cleaning off some of the Road Crap when I noticed that there are what appears to be "two" sealing washers under the Drain Plug of the Rear Drive. The "Inner" of these washers (the one next to the Drive Casing) seems to be "torn". The Bike has done 7400 miles and is a 2004 so the Drive Oil should have been changed at the last Annual Service or at the 6000 mile Service I had done a few weeks ago. I,m scared to attempt to remove the Plug in case the Casing Threads have been damaged and then it will become my problem. The Bike is under Warranty. Any Advice appreciated
Thanks
Mike Tee
Mike,
if I read your post correctly the work was done at a dealer and the bike is under warranty. I would take the bike back to the dealer and show / explain them your concern. If they say nothing is wrong, get this in writing stating your concerns and their reply as future CYA.

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #3 of 16 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 10:52 am Thread Starter
glo

Puzzled

Thanks for the advice Big Bear, Just back from the Dealers where the Workshop Foreman agreed that there where two sealing washers on the Drain Plug. The Original which had split, had been left on and the New One fitted on top. Not good, but at least it didn,t leak. Plug removed, Oil Drained (again!) and a new Washer and Drain Plug refitted with Fresh Oil. Fifteen minutes the lot.
Regards. Mike Tee

post #4 of 16 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 11:57 am
Lifetime Supporter

Where are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glo
Thanks for the advice Big Bear, Just back from the Dealers where the Workshop Foreman agreed that there where two sealing washers on the Drain Plug. The Original which had split, had been left on and the New One fitted on top. Not good, but at least it didn,t leak. Plug removed, Oil Drained (again!) and a new Washer and Drain Plug refitted with Fresh Oil. Fifteen minutes the lot.
Regards. Mike Tee

Which dealer to receive Kudos?

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #5 of 16 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 12:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
Which dealer to receive Kudos?

How can you kudo someone who screwed up a real simple thang in the first place?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #6 of 16 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 1:54 pm

Kudos to the Dealer

Hey, at least they stood behind their workmanship (?) and made good on their screw-up.

Mistakes happen. Give the dealer some credit for owning up to their error.

Paul M. Feldman

2008 - R1200RT "Cino"
2005 - KLT - "Tipsy" (now "Toasty") RIP
2004 - Suzuki Burgman 650
1978 - GL 1000
1985 - GL 1200 20th Anniversary Edition
1976 - Honda 750A
1973 - Honda CB 360 - "Bone Shaker"
1966 - Suzuki S80 - "Old Smokey"
post #7 of 16 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 2:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebish
Hey, at least they stood behind their workmanship (?) and made good on their screw-up.

Mistakes happen. Give the dealer some credit for owning up to their error.
I hear you, but this one is not a hugely complex mechanical matter. It was carelessness and simply not paying attention. What next? Oops, we left the rubber ring on the old oil filter up on the engine when we installed the new?

If something this simple was overlooked, what happens during a clutch/seal job?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #8 of 16 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 7:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear
Mike,
if I read your post correctly the work was done at a dealer and the bike is under warranty. I would take the bike back to the dealer and show / explain them your concern. If they say nothing is wrong, get this in writing stating your concerns and their reply as future CYA.

Roy
C - Y - A - confirm your assumptions!

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #9 of 16 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 7:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
If something this simple was overlooked, what happens during a clutch/seal job?
That's why you should do your own maintenance... if it gets screwed up, you'll know who done it... and if it costs you a lot of money to fix your screw up, you darn sure won't make that mistake again (you always pay for your education)
post #10 of 16 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 9:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
How can you kudo someone who screwed up a real simple thang in the first place?
Grif,
ya got me. u r correctamundo

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #11 of 16 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 11:49 pm

What next? Oops, we left the rubber ring on the old oil filter up on the engine when we installed the new?

Grif,
I tried that one last week, can't get the filter on with 2 gaskets. I tried for a while...

2002 K1200LTC Ocean Blue
post #12 of 16 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 6:26 am

Thumbs up Hey dude, wanna try a fluid change?

Changing fluids are the gateway tasks to taking on more serious maintenance problems later on.

Come on, try it, it may be easier than you think.
post #13 of 16 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 7:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_R
What next? Oops, we left the rubber ring on the old oil filter up on the engine when we installed the new?

Grif,
I tried that one last week, can't get the filter on with 2 gaskets. I tried for a while...
It can be done! The sad thang is oil pressure goes to hell.

Someone help me out here: Didn't a dealer do this and wasn't the engine replaced? Way back on the old board?

-=grif=-

Grok
post #14 of 16 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 10:43 am

Quote:
It can be done! The sad thang is oil pressure goes to hell.

Someone help me out here: Didn't a dealer do this and wasn't the engine replaced? Way back on the old board?
Nah, 'tweren't no dealer. It wuz the chick magnet. Dude rode it home after we changed fluids down at my storage unit. Called to say the engine wuz actin' kinda funny and makin' strange noises - next day or so, rode it a hunnert miles or so, over to Lone Star and they 'informed' him that *someone* put the new filter on, over the old gasket, which didn't drop with the old filter removal. Unhhh - we checkee that pretty way close now!!!
post #15 of 16 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 1:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Nah, 'tweren't no dealer. It wuz the chick magnet. Dude rode it home after we changed fluids down at my storage unit. Called to say the engine wuz actin' kinda funny and makin' strange noises - next day or so, rode it a hunnert miles or so, over to Lone Star and they 'informed' him that *someone* put the new filter on, over the old gasket, which didn't drop with the old filter removal. Unhhh - we checkee that pretty way close now!!!
We have more problems with that chick magnet. Be sure to tell him about Salado.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #16 of 16 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 2:50 pm

This happens on cars too like Grif says you got to pay attention

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in