Another rookie needs tire advice - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 7:07 pm Thread Starter

Another rookie needs tire advice

Ok, I've started doing some of my own servicing and it feels pretty good. I guess I'm like everybody else trying to save a few $$. Just dropped my LT off at the dealer for the remainder of the 24K service and he said I need some new tires. I have always run Metzlers and gotten reasonable service from them but they always seem to cup and start roaring when I lean the bike. This is starting to make me angry. No matter how often I check the pressure I still get roaring sooner or later. This brings me to my question, is there any other riders out there that have had a similar problem? Are there any veteran LT owners that have tried the Bridgestones? The first original set of Metz. lasted 11,500 miles, this 2nd set, 13,000.

I have a friend who's a decent mechanic and we often team up and do our services. He has all the equipment to change tires so I'll most likely purchace them on line and save a few $$. Should I bother with trying the Bridgestones or just stick with the ever faithful Metzlers. Can anyone advise a good (cheap) internet source for the tires?

Brian

02 LTC Silver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 7:13 pm

post #3 of 15 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 7:14 pm

Bridgestone Tires

I ran Bridgestones on the kawasaki vn2000 and the 07 K1200lt I traded it in on. Just put a new set of Bridgestones on the LT. I got a nail in the rear tire on the LT so decided to swap it out early instead of riding with the plug. In my limited experience you might get 8 to 10,000 out of the Bridgestones if you're lucky. But after running them in the rain in Canada I will trade the milage for the grip. I haven't run Metzler's so can't really compare them. I will probably try a set next time around just so I know....FrankMc

post #4 of 15 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 7:19 pm

Try this site for tires. There are more as you will hear from here. I bought my bike used and it had Metzlers on it. I have just replaced the rear with a new OEM Bridgestone battlax 020 and the wife and I just finished a 2 day trip and I love how the new rear tires is working. Will have to wait and see how the mileage works out.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/common...questid=174764

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need to stay awake

post #5 of 15 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 9:35 am

There is a thread on Avon Storms going on right now somewhere on here. may want to consider them too. I have the original ME880s on mine and am fine with them. 12K and still right much tread left. I'm trying to wear the sides to match the center. Yes they make noise, but nothing I can't live with, Just turn the radio up more. noise is a function of tread design and I doubt you can eliminate it completely.

Good luck. I'm up I 77 in Mount Airy. hope to run into ya sometime. There is a tech session this Saturday, if you;re not already aware of it. Look in SE region.

Randy
post #6 of 15 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 1:01 pm Thread Starter

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get up your way on Saturday. Spending the day with my daughter. I just finished changing the oil and filter, rear drive and tranny fluids on my LT. This was in hopes of saving a little money on my 24K service. I took my bike to the dealer (local) for the remainder. They called me today and said my bike was ready but, I OWED THEM $777.17. Now, I know that they have to remove the body panels and do a lot of work but holy smoke! If anybody out there is reading this, does this sound a little expensive? Maybe I'm just way off base but, ouch!

How about it, LT riders? If this is what I can expect every 12 or 24K service then I need to attend some tech sessions and learn to do this myself! BTW, I'm going to take a leap of faith and try a set of Avon Storm-STs. I've been talking to the reps at Avon and they are very helpful. They seem eager to get our business and interested in what works for the LT.

Brian
post #7 of 15 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 1:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-NC
Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get up your way on Saturday. Spending the day with my daughter. I just finished changing the oil and filter, rear drive and tranny fluids on my LT. This was in hopes of saving a little money on my 24K service. I took my bike to the dealer (local) for the remainder. They called me today and said my bike was ready but, I OWED THEM $777.17. Now, I know that they have to remove the body panels and do a lot of work but holy smoke! If anybody out there is reading this, does this sound a little expensive? Maybe I'm just way off base but, ouch!

How about it, LT riders? If this is what I can expect every 12 or 24K service then I need to attend some tech sessions and learn to do this myself! BTW, I'm going to take a leap of faith and try a set of Avon Storm-STs. I've been talking to the reps at Avon and they are very helpful. They seem eager to get our business and interested in what works for the LT.

Brian
Did this include the coolant change, brake fluid flush, or replacement of any of the buckets when checking the valves? I have been doing the service since the 12K and I spent about $140 on parts and fluids to do my 36K. Not really hard to do once you have seen it done.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

post #8 of 15 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 1:42 pm

Brian,

I don;t know about the Charlotte dealer, but Carolina in Greensboro was very helpful when I told him I wanted to do as much as I could to save myself some money. He tells me what has to be done and lets me choose what to do. And even charges less if the bike is stripped of bodywork when I get there. But so far, the fluids you have done are what I have done. Carolina said my 12K would be about $550, but I'm off-cycle when it comes to brake/clutch fluids and coolant changes. I had mine done at 6K since I had just bought an 03 last year and they hadn't been done.

I would say it really depends on what all they did as to whether it was all that bad. I was expecting worse for mine from what I've read on here.

I hope to learn to check valves at the tech session. Then all I'll need to learn is coolant change and brake/clutch and most of my maintenance issues will be handled at home.

Have fun with your daughter. Much better than working on motorcycles all day...

randy
post #9 of 15 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 1:51 pm

I have just under 6k on my Bridgestones and the front looks totally wasted. These tires came with my 07 LT - felt great for the first 3k miles, then I started getting the noise while turning.
On my previous LT (2005) I used Metzlers and they seem to last twice as long, but still noisy as they wear out.
I don't have any good ideas on how to avoid the noise, except to wear them round on twisty roads - that seems to help. I however, do a lot of day to day commuting and unfortunately most of the miles are the stop and go type. That I think kills the tires much faster than road trips.
I think I will go back to Metzlers, just to get more mileage.
BJ

BJ
2015 R Nine T
2007 LT Storm Grey
2005 LT Gold (traded in for '07)
2007 G 650 Xchallenge
post #10 of 15 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 2:59 pm

I like the Metz and have not had a problem with wet weather but, I have not spent all day in the wet either.
As far as the service, I think that's about right for this area also. At least close to it.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #11 of 15 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 9:04 pm

Well Crap

I was told the reason for the cupping was that I hauled a trailer. You mean to tell me that this was going to happen anyway............

Live Free and ride
My Rides
1974 Honda CB360T
1982 Suzuki 750G
1980 Honda Gold Wing
1993 Honda Gold Wing
1995 Harley Road King
1999 BMW 1200LT

<center>

post #12 of 15 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 10:37 pm

I have bridgestones on now and the front has less than 5K and is cupping and the rear around 6k and looks like good for lots more mileage, I had a set of metzlers that held up well 9k rear 12k front but in my opinion were a little slippery in the wet and on tar snakes.

Dan
post #13 of 15 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 5:19 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Alan, The service did include brake,clutch flush/change as well as coolant replacement. Not sure about the buckets though. All and all, I'm happy with my dealer but dang it, I don't have 700+ just sitting around to hand over to the shop! I could be spending that money on auxiliary lights and a good, long weekend ride.

Brian
post #14 of 15 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 6:02 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Here's the scoop on tires that are weight rated for the LT. Basically, it boils down to finding what's best for your riding style and your priorities.

ME880 Bias - a heavier built tire with a harder compound that provides long wear and fair handling but sacrifices some traction, especially in the wet. The fronts cup early leading to howling noises while cornering, but will still last for many more miles. Fits well with riders who value mileage above all else.

BT020 Radial - the radial means these have excellent handling and softer compounds give great traction, but at the expense of shorter life. Fronts also cup early, but the tires are usually ready to be replaced shortly after that. Better for riders who value traction first.

BT020 Bias - A good compromise between handling, traction, and life. Midway between ME880 Bias and BT020 Radials. A good choice for many folks.

Avon Azaro AV46 Radial rear - slightly thinner casings and sidewalls mean the rear Avon can flex or squirm on a heavy bike like the LT, especially when new (and the tread is deep). Fair mileage and traction once broken in.

Avon Azaro AV45 Radial front - lighter construction is less of a concern on the low profile front Avon, and dual compound gives great traction and excellent mileage.

Many folks use the AV45 Radial front with a BT020 Radial rear with excellent results. I prefer this combo for the LT and averaged 6-7K on the rear, and 13-17K on the front, with excellent feel and traction throughout the life of the tires.

Avon Storm ST AV55/AV56 - these are relatively new so we don't have a lot of user reports yet. I have them on my GT and they show excellent traction and feel with similar mileage to what I was getting on the LT.

Dunlop - Lots of early reports of these tires rubbing the swingarm, so few people use them today.

While there are other tires that come in the correct size for the LT, you really have to watch weight ratings on the rear tire. You need a 79V to handle the LT's weight, as all the above are rated. Also some folks have mixed Bias and Radial tires with no ill effects, but again that's up to each rider to decide.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #15 of 15 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 6:14 pm

I got 7k on the front on the bridgestones and just over 12k on the back also bridgestone. Tires are too expensive to be changing them that often.

84 Honda CB750 (sold)
96 HD Ultra Classic (sold)
04 HD Sportster (sold)
05 HD Ultra Classic "Pounder" (sold)
05 BMW K1200LT Graphite "Liebchen"
BMWMOA #126455
Equito Ergo Sum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in