Age-LT vs. RT Drivers - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 6:37 pm Thread Starter

Age-LT vs. RT Drivers

At age 63, I know that most of the LT drivers are older than me. I'm thinking of switching to the RT for lighter weight and improved slow speed handling, plus the fact that I never have a passenger. I've seen the LT age poll but know nothing about RT driver's ages. Does anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 6:53 pm
Gold Supporter

Most of the LT drivers are OLDER than you

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 45 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 7:01 pm

I guess ar 48 I am an early starter with the LT.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #4 of 45 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 7:58 pm

I'm about to turn 63. I have one of each. LT is for when I share my ride or want to cruise with max. comfort. Older RT-P is my "run-around" bike. Age doesn't matter; ride what's comfortable.

Ray

2007 K1200LT Hannigan- Blue
2012 R1200GS - Rallye
1973 R75/5 Toaster - Black
post #5 of 45 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 8:23 pm

I'm 42...

42 and have been driving a LT for over a year......
post #6 of 45 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 8:26 pm Thread Starter

Ray,

Do you find the RT comfortable for long solo rides? ie. are your arms stretched out or your feet too far back to be comfortable; or is it as comfortable a riding position as the LT
post #7 of 45 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 8:46 pm

hmm... I'm in my late 30's and have been on an LT for a few years now. Does this mean I'm wise beyond my years? LOL
post #8 of 45 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 8:53 pm

Talking You are as old as you feel.

I'm 44. First LT had an RT,GS,RS loved all BMW's I've owned including the LT
post #9 of 45 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 8:58 pm

I started riding the LT at the tender age of 44. I had a one year hiatus while I rode a K12GT, and then returned to the LT. I'm now 50 1/2.
I second what Ray said earlier: age doesn't matter! Ride, what fits your style and what you feel comfy with.

Steve
Granada Hills CA
2005 K1200LT Dark Graphite Metallic
post #10 of 45 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 9:00 pm

I was 37 when I bought my LT.
What surprises me most is that we're being called "drivers". Drivers!?!? I thought we were RIDERS. I know that I am!
post #11 of 45 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 9:18 pm

Take the top box off and try it, feels like a RT, looks better.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #12 of 45 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 9:20 pm

I am a 47 year old "driver" of an LT...BUT, I can't wait to buy a GT so I can be a PILOT!!!!! I promise, the moment I get the OK from the wife...I'm on a GT!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #13 of 45 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 9:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatson
Take the top box off and try it, feels like a RT, looks better.
I didn't realize that the top box on the LT weighed in at over 200 pounds.
post #14 of 45 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 9:30 pm

Hey my first post....and its about age!!

I'll start by saying hello all and glad to be here

34 here and i should be getting(shopping) my LT in about 6 months. Past rides were a 82 Yamaha seca turbo 650, Yamaha special 650, Ninja ZX1100 w/NOS (crashed it and said to myself " no more bikes till i grow up some"). Now that I'm kinda grown up its time to cruise in style and after much pre-shopping the LT has become the bike fore me at age 34. Its my view that the LT has many styles Sport,Luxury,Quality and Style.

John
post #15 of 45 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 9:37 pm Thread Starter

Took the topbox off........big difference. It weighs 32lbs. Also keeping the gas tank one half full helps. Still the linked rear brake at very slow speeds impedes slow speed handling. It must be me but I think it is a problem if 70% of the owners deop the bike at one time or another. It is a great machine, however and a good ride.
post #16 of 45 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 10:19 pm
Dug

Unhappy

Hi, I sold my cruiser and bought this wonderful, smooth riding bike. As I pulled proudly out of the driveway showing off my new bike my daughters told my wife that Dad is officially old now...42?!?

Doug
post #17 of 45 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 11:23 pm

I posted on another forum that I had gotten my LT last fall, and one of the first replies was "My dad has one of those. It's an old man's bike."

Well I'm an old man.

I'll be 55 in a few weeks.
post #18 of 45 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 1:11 am

32 here, I keep her full of gas and leave the top box on but keep her on the center stand and go vroooom vroooom in the garage. Feels just like an S but doesn't lean as much, the stereo is nice though.
I have the LT because of the Mrs., and because I like farkles and need room to add them without having a sport bike that looks like it has a bunch of crap growing out of it.
I am the youngest er looking LT rider I've ever encountered, but I'm also the youngest er looking RT rider I've encountered as well, though I'd never buy one.
Pass a lot of them though.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

post #19 of 45 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 6:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
Still the linked rear brake at very slow speeds impedes slow speed handling. It must be me but I think it is a problem if 70% of the owners deop the bike at one time or another.
Have 15 years till I reach that point, about another 1/2 million LT miles.
Some of us don't care if we drop the bike. I have dropped every bike I have ever owned, anytime you push to find the limit of the machine (or yourself or both) you will have that.
If your worried about it try a Buick sedan, very few people ever drop them
Rock

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge

Rock

post #20 of 45 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 6:51 am

If I keep riding like ive been for the last 3 years, I will easily have 740,000 miles. And that is figuring only riding till 60. Hopefully by then I can/will be retired and move somewhere warmer so i can ride year round. I'm 23. Wonder if my 2000 will last that long? Haven't had any problem with weight, I love it.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #21 of 45 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 6:54 am

At 38... Sometimes I feel old.
But as an old man's bike... I love overtaking and passing the younger riders in the twisties.
I would like to know their thoughts when they see the LT pass and leave them.

I had two bikers pull out in front of me on the Cherohala last month.
They were riding as hard and fast as their Victory's could go.
When I got an opening I past them and disappeared.
I pulled off at the end to wait for my wife we talked for a minute then the bikers finally went by still flogging their machines.

Me and the wife pulled into a store a few miles down the road and the two guys were sitting in the covered area.
I hear on say to the other... " Man, That bike is fast."

What I love is riding the LT one day then the next I get on my VFR.
The VFR handles so sweetly when you are used to riding the LT.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #22 of 45 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 8:41 am

Quote:
Ray,

Do you find the RT comfortable for long solo rides? ie. are your arms stretched out or your feet too far back to be comfortable; or is it as comfortable a riding position as the LT
Hi Billy. I think the RT is very comfortable. I'm 5'11" with a 35" sleeve length and 32" inseam. The upright riding position is good for me on the RT. I bought my RT in Florida recently; flew down and rode it back to KY; 697 miles. I was absolutely amazed at how smooth and comfortable the ride was. I love the 6th gear and the adjustable windshield. The only downside I found is no cruise control and my right wrist got very tired. After I got back I fixed that for about a dollar with a Caterpillar O-Ring. The LT and RT each have their own personalities, but I'll have to say that the RT is a good long distance bike and you can flick it around and have fun on it. The LT is like crawling into my leather recliner at the end of a hard day; I love it too. Hope this helps.

Ray

2012 R1200GS - Rallye
post #23 of 45 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 9:10 am

I bought my LT at age 36, now 39 and love it. I"ve never thought of it as an older persons bike,ie Goldwing. Love the LT!
post #24 of 45 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 9:21 am

I was a few weeks before 40 last year when I bought my LT. Bought it for several reasons, biggest was that it was less expensive than a comparable Gold WIng. I do like the new gen Gold Wing. At anyrate, other reasons were that it was sporty enough to ride aggressively on occasion, the wife likes a comfy ride and she sure did a lot of work to help me get back to riding after my crash, so my choice of LT was partially to give back to her. And now that I have had it for almost a year, I like it better every ride. I don;t know that I could live without cruise and electric windshield again.

And I wanted something that looked like George Jetson would ride it, i.e. futuristic and not retro. Sorta the Anti-harley. Before that remark starts a war, I do think Harley makes some beautiful bikes. They are just not my style, or lifestyle. Don;t wanna be one of the "masses" and a BMW sure fulfills that.

I thought I was the youngest LT owner, but guess I'm not as special as I thought....lol

Randy
post #25 of 45 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 10:16 am

Talking Sorry gramps....

Quote:
At age 63, I know that most of the LT drivers are older than me. I'm thinking of switching to the RT for lighter weight and improved slow speed handling, plus the fact that I never have a passenger. I've seen the LT age poll but know nothing about RT driver's ages. Does anyone?
54 here and been on the LT 3 years. It's a young persons (want to be politically correct) bike, as you have to be strong and verile to handle the beast!
Guess you'll be switching now that you know everyone here is younger than you! Maybe an RT will make you feel younger!

Craig

2000 K1200LTC "Little Turd"
2001 Harley Softail Deuce "Ground Pounder"
BMWMOA #113448
post #26 of 45 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 11:19 am

Still south of 63 years old with 12 years before I am there.

I am 51 years old. My wife and I have ridden many Goldwings in the past but the LT is the bike for us. We have been riding our LT for 2 and 1/2 years now. To me the LT has a much younger look about it. Taking the top box off give the LT a sport tourer look. This is great to have one bike that can take on two different looks with a few minutes of work. I really like the look of the LT with it's top box off. But when the other half is on back the top box goes back on. I do like the RT a lot and if I do get one I will still have my LT.

Doug Meinen
2002 BMW K1200LTC - Titian Silver
1998 BMW Z3 roadster 2.8 - Montreal Blue

Clubs
BMW MOA
BMW RA
BMW CCA
post #27 of 45 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 12:07 pm

Wink Age?

This is my first BMW and I am 54 times around the sun.
Always wanted the most hi-tech bike on the market, and seems I still have it.
She is a 99 KLT w/ 113,000 miles and I have loved every mile.

"Age is a frame of mind"

Wolf
post #28 of 45 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 12:32 pm

I went to a 2000 R1100RT from a 86 Concourse because of the weight. The bikes not mine. Now I have a 2005 R1200RT which is even lighter. 55 years and counting.
post #29 of 45 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 3:46 pm

Garage
Age and LT's

At 66 I have NO intention of getting rid of my LT or giving it up for a smaller bike!!! In fact after finally retiring my plan is to wear the 2000 Lt out and then buy another one!!!

dj

Don Wreyford
BMWMOA, 91738
RA 27032
ABC 7915
00 LT, 84 RS, 98 GS, 76R75/6
"An Elephant is eaten one bite at a time"
!
post #30 of 45 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 4:22 pm

i may look older than 63........

it's the hard living..............

i'm actually 44 with a new LT...............
post #31 of 45 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 4:32 pm

Age of LT owner

Just like the song, 39 and holding.

I bought my bike at age 37. Best two-up bike I could think of. Have not seen a better one yet.

James Hart
2002 LTE Titan Silver
1992 Yamaha Virago 750 (given to friend)
River Oaks, TX
post #32 of 45 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 5:17 pm

Currently have an '01 wing and my K1200GT shows up within a day or 2 (had a VFR800 a couple of years ago as well). The wing is for 2-up and like others have said with the "LT", I can outride a number of other folks witout a lot of trouble. Got a comment a couple of weeks ago "wow that bike really handles". When riding the wing or the LT, it's about the rider, not the bike. There isn't much on the road that can outrun my wing when we get into some technical stuff unless the guys are real good riders.

Face it, Nicky Hayden on an LT (or Wing) would ride away from ANY non-pro rider. Even if said non-pro were on a super bike.
post #33 of 45 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 9:30 pm

Hi,

My first LT was ridden when I was 24 and when I was in college. I have another LT now at 40. Just cant escape such quality even for an " old man's bike".
post #34 of 45 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 10:24 pm

I test rode a lot of bikes. For riding 2 up it was a choice for me between the LT and the Wing. Before this I had a 1984 Yamaha Venture. I got the LT and the wife and I both love it. And to make things even better we are getting over 60 miles to the gallon.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #35 of 45 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 11:44 pm

Age- LT

I bought my 1100 RT in 2000 for my 60th birthday,
That was the number 8th beemer for me, since the first one,
back in 1958.
Bought an LT for my 67th birthday this year. Have both of the bikes and
I love then both.
We just took a 1260 miles trip on the new LT to our second home down south,
and returned on the RT. This is a two day trip each way.
On the RT we made 754 miles the first day, two up, with fully loaded luggage, and the wife
is just four years younger than me. I feel younger cornering with the RT and cruising ay 90 mph
on the loneliest road in America, Hyw 50 in Nevada.
I will be riding the my behemoth LT during the winter, since I am going to leave my RT here up north.
On the first of August going on a trip to here:http://www.stewartbchyderak.homestead.com/homepage.html

Miklos, Shoreline, WA
post #36 of 45 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 9:28 am

Quote:
32 here, I keep her full of gas and leave the top box on but keep her on the center stand and go vroooom vroooom in the garage. Feels just like an S but doesn't lean as much, the stereo is nice though.
I have the LT because of the Mrs., and because I like farkles and need room to add them without having a sport bike that looks like it has a bunch of crap growing out of it.
I am the youngest er looking LT rider I've ever encountered, but I'm also the youngest er looking RT rider I've encountered as well, though I'd never buy one.
Pass a lot of them though.
I'm 32 also and have at the LT for a little over a year now. The Mrs. is what put the LT in the garage for me also. Went to look at the GT and She sat on the LT and it was all over. But it wasnt like I was dragging her away from it...more like nudging her towards it

-Ekim
2005 K1200LT (R.I.P.)
Manchester, MD

post #37 of 45 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 9:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekim
I'm 32 also and have at the LT for a little over a year now. The Mrs. is what put the LT in the garage for me also. Went to look at the GT and She sat on the LT and it was all over. But it wasnt like I was dragging her away from it...more like nudging her towards it

That's funny. My wife gets credit for our LT as well. We went to the dealer to look (ha ha); I had my mind set on an RT and was ready to ask for a test ride. She yells from across the showroom floor; she's sitting on an LT; she says this is the one. The rest is history. We love our LT. I managed to satisfy my thirst for an RT by finding a 2002 1150RT-P. I'm happy and we're happy.

Ray

2012 R1200GS - Rallye
post #38 of 45 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 1:16 pm

I bought a RT way back when I was thirty something,never could get comfortable on it.After many miles on the RT I got a LT,now I am 50+ and recently installed a Corbin seat with a Smuggler trunk,lowered the foot rest,and cut down the shield. It is like ridding a different bike.
post #39 of 45 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 5:56 pm

Just made 69 today..Bought the 2005 LT in Aug, 2005.. Have put 52,000 miles on it to date.
Just finished a x-ctry ride from Las Vegas to Tampa to visit my son. Also did a 2 day run up to Sacramento and back last weekend.
Test rode the RT but didn't care for it. The LT is a much more comfortable ride in the long runs.
Took the top box off for local riding and put it back on for the long stuff. It sure makes a difference in the handling and looks for me.
post #40 of 45 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 6:28 pm

Jeez. I'm 33 years old. Just got weaned off the teat .

LT for comfort (and wife transport). Duc for torching roads.
post #41 of 45 Old Jul 29th, 2007, 8:57 pm

I have all of you beat! I'm 27 and I just picked up my LT last week. The girlfriend and I were not comfortable on my 1200 Triumph Trophy for more than 200 miles a day. I just rode 900 miles this weekend on the "Light Truck" and I couldn't be happier. I'm amazed at how hard I can corner on such a big bike! I'm giddy. Really.

Also, I noticed the right side of the windshield would be pushed back at speeds over 70mph. Is this normal? What's the deal with the speedometer? It's off at least 10%. Any way to fix this without breaking the bank?
post #42 of 45 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 12:53 am

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Also, I noticed the right side of the windshield would be pushed back at speeds over 70mph. Is this normal?
Not normal. You may want to be sure all axles and retaining clips are still there in the windshield arms. While off the bike turn the ignition ON and raise the shield all the way up to do your spot check. I bet something is missing or out of place. The LT windshield and its mechanism are pretty sturdy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
What's the deal with the speedometer? It's off at least 10%. Any way to fix this without breaking the bank?
Yup, about 10% off on 99-04 models. There is a fix documented in the HOW that involves adding a jumper in the back of the speedo. Of course it takes some disassembly to get there, but that is how you will learn everything about your bike!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #43 of 45 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 5:05 pm

I dont think itīs a question about age. Iīve had different models of BMW mc and they all was charming their way. I.e r1100 rs, r1150 RT, R1150R, And now next week i fly to Malmoe and drive my K1200 Lt -04 home. And i buy the LT i that reason i want radio and intercom and this fantastic bike with all the comfort. I donīt mentioned that but iīm 49 years old.

Last edited by JanneH; Aug 1st, 2007 at 5:19 pm.
post #44 of 45 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:08 am

I'll be 60 next Monday and have been riding the LT for 5 years. Rode a Harley FXDL for 10 years prior to that. I quit dropping it when I quit worrying about dropping it. Took about 3 months. I hope that I'm still riding when I'm 80. I only wish I had more time to ride. I don't get to ride (take trips) often, but when I do, I usually ride 3,000-5,000 miles in 7-9 days (1-2 time per year).

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #45 of 45 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:30 am

57 and just completed the 1000 and 1500 mile Iron Butt runs. Paper work is in and waiting on the certificates. Four of us did 4897 miles in nine days. Charleston to the South West Four Corners and all.

Love the LT. Was on a H-D Road King before that loved it as well. Have dropped the Big'un twice both times at a dead stop within a month of getting it. But not lately. I dropped the Road King once as well and had never dropped a bike before that in my life.

Makeing the transition from the RK to the LT re leg position on long trips has been the challenge for me. Have Mick-O-Pegs on it and a set of Ottomans on order. Other than that and the ribbing my Buds give me I love it. I am the one laughing at them at the end of a long run

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in