quick disconnects ??? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 4:55 pm Thread Starter

Cool quick disconnects ???

Just got off the phone with small parts technician about the quick disconnects they sell and he says that the buna-n o-ring may swell from gasoline. Wondering if anyone have this problem with theirs yet?

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 7:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOGILLS2
Just got off the phone with small parts technician about the quick disconnects they sell and he says that the buna-n o-ring may swell from gasoline. Wondering if anyone have this problem with theirs yet?
Baloney. Buna N (nitrile) is the industry standard for fuels - he doesn't know what he is talking about...

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #3 of 20 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 7:53 am

post #4 of 20 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 8:00 am

O-ring material

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOGILLS2
Buna-N or Nitrile works well for 100% gasoline, problem arrises when ethanol is blended with gasoline like here in the Mid-West. Ethanol and Buna-N are not compatable. Would suggest using Viton seals if you are going to be in an area that uses blended fuels. Viton is compatable with Gasoline and Ethanol and should be available.

NOTE: I am not sure if a 10% blend would have any adverse effects but we are now seeing 25% Ethanol at some stations for there "Premium" grade.

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #5 of 20 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 8:07 am Thread Starter

Cool

Thanks Guys, On their website it says it is compatible with gasoline. The tech said he had one complaint from a BMW owner and after a few hours the o-rings shrank back to shape and was able to be reconnected.

Thanks again

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69

post #6 of 20 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 2:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear
Buna-N or Nitrile works well for 100% gasoline, problem arrises when ethanol is blended with gasoline like here in the Mid-West. Ethanol and Buna-N are not compatable. Would suggest using Viton seals if you are going to be in an area that uses blended fuels. Viton is compatable with Gasoline and Ethanol and should be available.

NOTE: I am not sure if a 10% blend would have any adverse effects but we are now seeing 25% Ethanol at some stations for there "Premium" grade.

Roy
I dunno Roy, I'll have to disagree with you...

Not all grades of Viton are compatible with gasoline and ethanol. It is produced in seven different grades, and unless you know the specific polymer used you could be seeing those O rings degrade VERY fast. Of the three common grades (that are typically used for mass produced items like O rings) only two are acceptable. Of those two one is always preferred and has superior resistance to gas and ethanol, mbte (RIP), etc.

Generallly speaking, Viton is specified instead of Buna N for two reasons: in high frequency use it tends to wear longer, and in high heat applications it is far superior. It also costs about 4 times as much.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Jul 19th, 2007 at 6:48 pm.
post #7 of 20 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 2:23 pm

quick disconnects

www.racerpartswholesale.com

JiffyTite quick disconnects in stock. Several BMW bike people bought and are using these for the fuel line.

Full disclosure:

I own Racer Parts Wholesale. RPW operates out of a 10K sq ft warehouse in Indianapolis and ships most orders same day.

RPW recently bought myoilshop.com and is supplying Red Line Oil (and other motorcycle stuff) to motorcycle owners all over the country. Red Line Oil has recently added a complete line of motorcycle specific products--and RPW stocks the complete Red Line Oil line.

(I also have one of Ron's seats on my LT and it works great.)

Tom Volk
post #8 of 20 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 3:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Ummmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
If you have refineries mixing 25% ethanol in their fuel they will be buying lots of new cars for their customers. E-85 is 15% and is the maximum that fuel tanks, lines and engines can currently handle - it requires special plating inside the tanks, fuel lines, injector rails, etc... Ethanol is highly corrosive.
E-85 is 85% ethanol.

Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #9 of 20 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 3:27 pm

Yup - he's right.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #10 of 20 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 3:35 pm

Tom - those things plastic with the aluminum catch ring 'round the female part?

page with pics

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #11 of 20 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 3:49 pm

Brass Quick disconnects

I just purchased a pair of Brass Double shut off disconnects, part number QCBD-05 from Small Parts, Inc. I would sure like a direct answer yes or no are these ok to use in the midwest where there is ethanol used in our gasoline? IS THERE A PROBLEM?

Jerry Mathison
Woodbine, Iowa
2008 Gold Wing
2005 Ocean Blue (Sold)
BMWMOA #25294

post #12 of 20 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 6:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt
E-85 is 85% ethanol.

Jer
Duh, you're right - I got it backasswards!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #13 of 20 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 11:32 pm

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrym
I just purchased a pair of Brass Double shut off disconnects, part number QCBD-05 from Small Parts, Inc. I would sure like a direct answer yes or no are these ok to use in the midwest where there is ethanol used in our gasoline? IS THERE A PROBLEM?
The QDs are OK to use. I think the issue brought up is with which O-rings to use...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #14 of 20 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 8:00 am

What Jiffytites do I need for an LT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvolk

JiffyTite quick disconnects in stock. Several BMW bike people bought and are using these for the fuel line.

Full disclosure:

I own Racer Parts Wholesale. RPW operates out of a 10K sq ft warehouse in Indianapolis and ships most orders same day.

RPW recently bought myoilshop.com and is supplying Red Line Oil (and other motorcycle stuff) to motorcycle owners all over the country. Red Line Oil has recently added a complete line of motorcycle specific products--and RPW stocks the complete Red Line Oil line.

(I also have one of Ron's seats on my LT and it works great.)

Tom Volk
Tom,

What JiffyTites do I need to order to do my LT QDs? Do you have a set made up?

Bruce Buchner

Bruce Buchner
2017 R1200RT Platinum Bronze Metallic
2012 R1200RT Fluid Grey Metallic (Little Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2007 K1200LT Storm Grey Metallic (Big Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2001 325XI 4dr Sold
1967 2000CS Coupe (Left it in Germany)
post #15 of 20 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 1:05 pm

JiffyTite for LT

There are several different styles of fittings available. You will probably want the barbed end fitting--easiest to install.

The best thing to do is to contact either Jack or Mike at RPW and they will quickly determine what you need that will do what you want!

email or phone on the 800 line.

If it ends up that everybody orders the same numbers for the LT--we will post the part numbers to make it easier and faster for all.

Thanks. Also--please check out the other motorcycle parts we are adding in the new motorcycle section. I would appreciate any product suggestions you might have for us to add to our lineup!

Tom Volk
post #16 of 20 Old Jul 24th, 2007, 8:42 pm Thread Starter

Cool

Well, The deed is done! The connectors arrived this past weekend while we were out of town. So I finally had time today to change them out. Yesterday was yard work day. So, anyhow, It wasn't too bad of a job, after removing tupperware from right side, the connectors are in your face. I found the lower hose from the injectors was a little bit of a challenge, but not completly, after disconnecting some wires in the area, it gave me more room to work. Total time to change out the connectors was about two hours with a number of breaks, to get water and such. altogether not a bad job, and the new connectors are real cool, I really like the design, I hope they hold up as well as they look.

I ordered and used the connectors from "Small Parts.com" came up to $46.00 plus shipping for both couplers!! not bad comparing to some of the others available.

Miss E and I went out for a ride and diner, everything went well. If you have any questions I will be glad to answer, if I can!

ps. If you have fuel in the tank have a can near when you open the bottom hose from the tank, cause the fuel will flow like a river from that hose, the others just dribbled.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69

post #17 of 20 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 11:46 pm

What were the part numbers for those you ordered at small parts?

Tommy
02 K12 LT - 251,000 Miles and counting
442,000+ BMW Miles and counting
post #18 of 20 Old Jul 28th, 2007, 11:17 am Thread Starter

Cool

Part numbers are: QCBD-05

These have double shut offs and are 5/16 hose connectors.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69

post #19 of 20 Old Jul 28th, 2007, 11:55 am

Quick disconnect

Jiffy Tite quick disconnects are all metal. (I have been asked by several people on the forum).

Barb fittings available (very economical) for easy install and no leaks.

In stock, same day shipping.

Thanks
Tom Volk

(Full disclosure: I own RPW!)
post #20 of 20 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 8:36 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

I shot an e-mail off after reading above post and this is the response:

Lee,

The part numbers you will need are JIF-21505 and JIF-22505, these are a socket and plug with a 5/16 barbed end. If you are dealing with two hoses you will need two of each part number. The fittings come standard with Viton seals. The fittings are not really serviceable and there is no need to replace the seals. We have sold hundreds of these fittings without failure. I don't have band style clamps small enough for this hose. The screw type clamp part number is IDL-5203.

Please give me a call to place the order or you can go online at http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/jiftite1.htm to order.

Thank you for your interest in the Jiffy-tite product and I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Jack Borsos
General Manager
Racer Parts Wholesale
317-639-0725
[email protected]

I ordered them today.

I want to have all these little fixes and electric stuff all ready to just unbutton the Tupperware once and be done with these items.

Anyway will post some pics when they arrive, and seems like a pretty cool company to deal with.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in