Comm system - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 12:37 pm Thread Starter
Dug

Comm system

I bought a new 2006 LT and the dealer is 2 hours away. Now that I have had it for a couple of months I am looking to get setup with some stuff...
I would like to get the intercom for my wife and I, I am thinking about putting a GPS unit on and wondering about hooking up my I-pod and then the cell phone. With the dealer 2 hours away it is not easy getting over there to ask questions.
I have been looking at the different posts and FAC's but I am more confused then when I started. If you guys with the knowledge can tell me which systems to get or should I stick with the BMW stuff.

Any help with a direction would be great.

Thanks,

Dug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 10:01 pm

I suggest that you get a Baehr comm system for the LT. Easy plug and play underseat installation. My '07 LT came with the BMW Voice II which I think is inferior to the Baehr systems.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 12:16 am

Dug,
From your description it's assumed that the bike doesn't have a built-in comm system. However, it'd be worth investigating it, just to be on the safe side.
If the bike didn't come with a built-in comm system, and if you're looking for 'the best of the best' then indeed go with the Baehr as Jim mentioned. Nothing beats it. With the basic package you'll get the comm system module and one pair (rider+passenger) headset (mic+earphones).
You should also be prepared to pay a premium for 'the best of the best': the Bahr basic package sells for about $1200,- and you'll pay extra for the various hook-up cables for you iPod, GPS, cell phone, etc (somewhere around $35-$45 each).
Hooking up a Baehr is truly 'plug 'n play' , however, you'll have to remove the 'tupperware', that is, the fairing and maybe engine spoiler as well.
Most of the 'tupperware' removal is documented here, or your can buy a service maual like a Clymer from your dealer, or Bikebandit (bikebandit.com) for about $45.
You and your wife will definitely love the results.
If you get stuck at any point during the4 installation feel free to post a question, and be prepared to receive for a wealth of good info in return!

Steve
Granada Hills CA
2005 K1200LT Dark Graphite Metallic

post #4 of 12 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 1:32 am

Comm System

DUG,
I put an Autocom Active-Duo ($429.95) on my 2002 LT, and both the wife and I like its performance as a comm system and for music from the mp3 device. Hookup could not be easer. The negative wire to the battery terminal and the positive wire to a power source. I chose the 12 volt supply to the passenger's heated seat. Then just sneak the cables around, zip-tie them in place, and you are good to go. The two headsets fit in our helmets, but the speakers are a little big. No other components have been required. This may not the best system out there, but it does more than I want.
post #5 of 12 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 7:48 am

BMW comm system

Good morning, I have been looking at this topic for a bit as well (I am considering an LT for me - and my wife). It appears that the local dealer here, orders his LTs with the comm system and that system is actually a Baehr Silverline Ultima XL. If yours didn't come with that then I have used an Autocom (Pro-Sport I think) and it really is a pretty slick unit. The new form factor is much nicer though and a bit easier to figure out. Something to keep in mind is the installation into the helmet can be a, forgive the pun, bear. Not so much in the placement of the speakers and microphone but rather the pigtail that connects you to the sound. Keeping the pigtail and the associated wires tucked away in the helmt has been my biggest bugaboo.

HTH!
Dave
post #6 of 12 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 8:16 am

I'd suggest the Autocom as well compare models here: http://www.autocomamerica.com/comparisons.cfm

I just purchased the Super Pro AVI. No long trips yet but I like it so far.

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 9:28 am

I've used tha AutoCom on 3 LT's and would recommend it wholeheartedly to anyone. As they said, simple installation and reliable service. Sound quality is great. I've read a thread here somewhere about upgrading the helmet speakers with RadioShack Titanium speakers from a headset, but haven't tried it. The AutoCom speakers have been adequate so far.

Bill Hanna
Syracuse, NY
'01 K1200LT (mauve) traded
'04 K1200LT (Black Mariah) traded
'05 (Graphite)
Oh alright. . .I'll ride next to the Harley this time!
post #8 of 12 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 10:04 am

Cool Starcom1...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug
I bought a new 2006 LT and the dealer is 2 hours away. Now that I have had it for a couple of months I am looking to get setup with some stuff...
I would like to get the intercom for my wife and I, I am thinking about putting a GPS unit on and wondering about hooking up my I-pod and then the cell phone. With the dealer 2 hours away it is not easy getting over there to ask questions.
I have been looking at the different posts and FAC's but I am more confused then when I started. If you guys with the knowledge can tell me which systems to get or should I stick with the BMW stuff.

Thanks,

Dug
I too have been doing quite a bit of research on comm systems. My old 2000 came with a cassette deck, so anything is an improvement for me. I've been trying to narrow my search to affordable units. $1000 is 14% of the cost of my bike so my buget is more of the $500 price range. I narrowed it down to Autocom Active Plus and the Starcom1 Advanced.

Jeff at www.bikeeffects.com sells the Starcom1 and is offering our forum the system and add ons for an additional 10% off. This is the system that Aerostich (my favorite catalog) sells for $367 and he sells for $335 and for us $302. This has two headsets, either open faced or full and if you have ear buds you can opt for the 3.5mm connector. The only other things you will need is a cell phone cable and the GPS isolator cable. For my system, which I will be doing, out the door all cables, two headset and shipping is $411. This system allows you to use either FRS/GMRS or CB and for an additional amount can use bluetooth tech for the cell phone.
Call Jeff if you are interested at 1-707-224-9262. He uses the system and has knowledge of both Autocom and Starcom1. Tell him Craig sent you. I spent an hour on the phone with him yesterday and he is offering us a great deal.

Craig

2000 K1200LTC "Little Turd"
2001 Harley Softail Deuce "Ground Pounder"
BMWMOA #113448
post #9 of 12 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 10:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug
I bought a new 2006 LT and the dealer is 2 hours away.

Thanks,

Dug
Wow... Something I can respond too...

If the bike is new, it should have a Comm II system installed. At least my '06 did. Couple of things: I din't do the NAV system. "I'm never lost, I always know I am somewhere!" So I can't help you with that. My Comm II has been nice. I use the cell phone, FRS and MP3 player. Where it really got good is with the replacement of two main items: A pair of new MultiTec helmets and J&M's Elite Comm headsets. NIGHT and DAY difference. Gorgeous sound, clean and clear conversations...

I haven't tried the other systems, but if yer bike has the Comm II, you might want to work thru it before you drop more dollars into something else. With an existing Comm II, it's really just a plug-n-play operation...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #10 of 12 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 11:11 pm Thread Starter
Dug

I guess I have the comm II already on the bike. It is located in the compartment just in front of the seat. I feel dumb asking all these questions. I guess I was to excited leaving the dealer I never thought to ask...
So if I have the system do I just go and get a headset, speakers and cable? Is it that simple? Do I order them online and if do you guys recommend a site?
Sorry to seem lost, but I guess I am.

Thanks,

Doug
post #11 of 12 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 12:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug
I guess I have the comm II already on the bike. It is located in the compartment just in front of the seat. I feel dumb asking all these questions. I guess I was to excited leaving the dealer I never thought to ask...
So if I have the system do I just go and get a headset, speakers and cable? Is it that simple? Do I order them online and if do you guys recommend a site?
Sorry to seem lost, but I guess I am.

Thanks,

Doug
Ain't no big thing...

The oddiments box houses the comm system. You'll need a headset and connecting cord to use that Comm system. www.jmcorp.com build good quality headsets and connecting cables. If you have top 'o' the line helmets (Multitec or Nolan) and if yer pocketbook can handle it, the J&M Elite is a good top quality headset for you and the pillion to communicate and hear tunes, "bitchin' Betty" or your bike to bike communications system. J&M also make sets that are a bit more inexpensive... just use the tool of the internet to get a feel for what you want, what you want it to do and what you can afford.

The cords you need can be bought on-line thru places like A&S Cycles. www.ascycles.com. True, they are right in my backyard, but the crew over there is top notch. They will get you the part you need. Also, don't buy the J&M from J&M. I have found that places like www.sierra-mc.com have better prices. The shopping tool you are using right now (internet) really helps.

For sounds I use the radio, CD player and an MP3 player. Again I don't have or use a NAV system. But I do use an FRS radio for bike to bike. If you're traveling with a crowd, find out what the majority of the riders use and go with that system. I found CB to be too annoying. The Kenwood or ICOM FRS radio is prolly the best and quietest.

Right now, you could use up close and personal help. Get with a group, find one local to your area. Meet for coffee, lunch, dinner, or do weekend rides. ASK QUESTIONS... Everyone of these guys on here will give you good advice, good ideas and bad stories... OK... some of the stories are good!

Here's a good information link I use for reference for older model LT's:

http://www.who-sells-it.com/ctp/458/97/full/

Page 100 has most of your cords you will be using. It can help... if you need to, don't be afraid to ask questions here... Heck, I still am looking for answers...

If you want to go another route to get sounds, by all means do so. I have just found the Comm II on the '06' to be more than up to the task!

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #12 of 12 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 12:23 pm Thread Starter
Dug

Hey, Thanks for the info. I'll get online this weekend and start looking!!!

Thanks for all the advice.

Doug

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in