First week with XM Review - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 9:05 am Thread Starter

First week with XM Review

Well, I got the Roady 2 as a bunch of you suggested.

XM is NOT compatible with mountains and tree covered roads.
Solution: from now on I will only ride my Beemer on four lanes and interstates...
Other than that, it is nice to listen to music and news from professional broadcasters.

These local mom and pop mountain stations are crap.

Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 9:17 am

Sorry to hear you are having problems with reception, where do you have your antenna mounted
post #3 of 7 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 9:48 am

Here in Oregon we have the same problem.................
In the mountains and woods, I lose reception often..............
So, I carry CD's and play those until I'm in a clear spot........................
.....and in the worse case, turn them all off and listen to that beautiful hum....

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 10:04 am

While out on the westcoast, David Taylor gave me a tour of San Francisco one day via his cage. (It was the only day of a 21-day trip that I didn't ride, so the break was nice.) Anywho...he had his XM rockin' and we really enjoyed it. I was fairly convinced that I would be getting XM once I returned home.

Well, as soon as I got home, my little sister came to visit me and she picked me up in a rental car w/ XM installed. We headed to our niece's house in the hills of West Virginia. The reception SUCKED! We were both glad that I brought my iPod. That experience talked me right back OUT of XM.

I cannot tolerate "loss in reception" issues. I don't understand why the receivers don't have a built-in buffer that stores enough music to compensate for this problem. Much like the older CD Walkmans had for eliminating skips.
post #5 of 7 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 10:23 am Thread Starter

I have to agree...
A cached storage would make the XM much more compatible.

I rent a car somewhere every week.
I get the Garmin Where2 from Budget. I have found that if you speed down covered roads and you wait for the the lady in the box to tell you when to turn, that you will miss your turn.
I guess the GPS can not compensate without the sat. signal.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #6 of 7 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 3:50 pm

I have found that to be the case in WNC. The better the road, the worse the satellite reception. Moving my antenna around hasn't helped. Oh, well, when I can't get XM reception I either shut off the audio or listen to MP3s.

I have found a couple of stretches in the lower part of the state (and one in Eastern NC) where the reception cuts out, even though the terrain is flat and no trees in reach. Blind spot on the satellite? Black helicopters? Who knows.
post #7 of 7 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 4:16 pm

Not just XM - I have sirus and it has the same problems riding in the foothills and mountains of Kalifornia.
But a lot of the new units do have a built-in buffer to deal with such problems. Then again I just switch to the MP3 player.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in