Cooling vest - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 11:23 pm Thread Starter

Cooling vest

Do any of you use the Silver Eagle Cooling vest.....Does it work? or what do you use to keep a little cooler in the summer heat......I'm Arizona and it's around 110 degrees give or take a few of degrees........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 11:30 pm

I take a bandana, wrap a couple of small sponges up in it, tie it around my neck cowboy style, and soak it with water. Just cooling the blood going to the brain makes a big difference. I have to stop every so often and soak it again but, it's a small price.

Of course it would probably dry faster out in your part of the world. It's a dry heat I'm told.
post #3 of 10 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 11:53 pm

I use a vest

Like you I live in a place where it is HOT. We are a few degrees under you but not much here in the San Joaquin Valley in Ca.

I have a vest that I bought from Twin sports. My vest cost about 35 dollars and it is amazing. It can last up to a couple of hours, however giving it some fresh water every hour or so helps a lot.

I take it to work in the morning without setting it in water, then about 1/2 hour before work ends when it is 104 outside I take a trash bag and soak it in the sink. let it drip for a few minutes then it goes on under my first gear coat. There is something nuts about a coat, even a mesh coat at 105- nuts.

Anyway, I love it and you can reallllllly feel the difference.

Don

post #4 of 10 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 1:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dock
Do any of you use the Silver Eagle Cooling vest.....Does it work? or what do you use to keep a little cooler in the summer heat......I'm Arizona and it's around 110 degrees give or take a few of degrees........
You'll see comments (mine and others) on how well the Silver Eagle works in various climates here http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24945

I think it would work quite well in Chandler, AZ!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

Last edited by hallzee; Jul 18th, 2007 at 2:06 am.
post #5 of 10 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 8:37 am

That's funny...I just got one the other week and tried it. It would probably work good if you rode a different bike than the LT. It blocks so much of the air movement that it limints the cooling capacity of the vest. All I felt was wet personally.
post #6 of 10 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 10:02 am
Lifetime Supporter

Cool

I ride an LT and it has always felt great. Last used it Monday at 95F and 90 humidity and I was cool. It just takes air movement to work, not jet blast. Be careful of proper hydration though. Drink lots of H2O.

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #7 of 10 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 10:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine
It blocks so much of the air movement that it limints the cooling capacity of the vest.
Have you tried folding in the wings underneath the side mirrors ?
post #8 of 10 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 10:44 am

I've done that and lowered the windshield as low as it can go without getting windblasted.
post #9 of 10 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 10:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine
That's funny...I just got one the other week and tried it. It would probably work good if you rode a different bike than the LT. It blocks so much of the air movement that it limints the cooling capacity of the vest. All I felt was wet personally.
You have to make sure the vest isn't too large. Also, your jacket has to be of the proper material (mesh) to allow air flow.

The idea is air flow between Jacket, and Vest, so the jacket has to be a little loose. If the vest is too large, you may get airflow under it too; this will cause you to lose evaporative benefit from the vest.

You don't need a huge wind blast - just air circulation.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #10 of 10 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 3:41 pm

Doc
http://www.soundrider.com/ I used this vest last week @ $31.50 is a great deal and keeps be cool in the 95+ temps in Sac, CA. The company sent me the vest in 2 days. Great company, great vest...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in