backrest suggestions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 8:46 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation backrest suggestions

What are the recommended backrests for an LT? And, are they hard to attach? Can they be easily removed for more local riding?

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 9:16 pm

I have a bakup back rest, and i love it. Easily attaches, very strong, etc..
Check it here http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=1342.
post #3 of 17 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 9:16 pm

backrest suggestions

Most people use a Backup backrest. Installs by raising the riders seat, removing the 2 bolts for the passenger seat, then gets bolted to the same location using the bolts you just removed.

Probably one of the easiest installs on an LT.

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge

post #4 of 17 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 10:03 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by humplatch
I have a bakup back rest, and i love it. Easily attaches, very strong, etc..
Check it here http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=1342.
Thanks a bunch. I'll check it out.

Greg

I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #5 of 17 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 10:03 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow
Most people use a Backup backrest. Installs by raising the riders seat, removing the 2 bolts for the passenger seat, then gets bolted to the same location using the bolts you just removed.

Probably one of the easiest installs on an LT.
Cool. Thanks for the tip.

Greg

post #6 of 17 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 10:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
What are the recommended backrests for an LT? And, are they hard to attach? Can they be easily removed for more local riding?
Our very own Raffy K. sells the Bakup. Not only does he give great service, he is a supporting vendor of this forum, and will be at CCR in TanTarA.

http://motogear4you.com/mcart/index.cgi?code=3&cat=3

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #7 of 17 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 2:12 am

I ended up with 2 extra cases of frozen pizzas one day (Digiorno Supreme, 12 to a case) and had to run them to the local food pantry. Set them on the pillion seat & rode them there. No straps, they stayed just fine and were actually quite comfortable as a backrest! Cheaper than a Bakup & if you get hungry on the way...
post #8 of 17 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 4:13 am

Bakup is the way to go. 2 plus years with mine. I wouldn't know what to do without it.... Many a mile as a trusted friend to my back...
post #9 of 17 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 11:04 am

+1 for bakup. It's easy to adjust and works very well.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #10 of 17 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 1:02 pm

I purchased a GG backrest form the classifieds on this site. Doesn't sound like it is as easy to install as the Backup, but with slight modification it works well and I couldn't beat the price. Backups appear in the classifieds from time to time. You might check there for a good deal.

Steve
'04 LT
post #11 of 17 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 3:43 pm

Nothing wrong with the Bakup, which is far and away the most popular backrest in the LT community.

Another alternative, though, is the Utopia backrest. The size and function is pretty close to the Bakup (adjusts up and down and front and back). The "pro" is that it is less expensive than the Bakup; the "con" is that it mounts to the passenger seat pan so it's a little more trouble to install. You can still remove the backrest easily if you want to (I've never felt the need).

The Utopia has a big following in the Goldwing circles. It mounts a little easier on the Wing, though.

One neat feature of the Utopia is that the vertical mounting bar has a spring-detent high-low setting. If you put your driver seat in the high position, just give the backrest a tug and it pops into the high setting. If you drop your driver seat to the low position, just push down on the Utopia and you're all set, no tools.

It also has a little zippered bag with a shoulder strap on the back of the backrest for your passenger to use.

Search for my earlier posts if you are interested, or send me a PM.
post #12 of 17 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 4:13 pm

+1 on the Utopia backrest. Have had one on ole Toad since '99. When first offered by the company, you sent your passenger seat to them for the install. They had reasonable turn-around time, butt still.....

For the past several years, they've offered the DIY-install model.

I think most backrests that have any market longevity will do the job for most riders - just some have a few leetle side benefits (such as the extra carrying pouch of the Utopia; or the ease of removal/reinstall of the Backup). Were I in the market for one, I'd try to find riders in my 'hood with versions I could 'sit for fit' and git a user's experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarter
Nothing wrong with the Bakup, which is far and away the most popular backrest in the LT community.

Another alternative, though, is the Utopia backrest. The size and function is pretty close to the Bakup (adjusts up and down and front and back). The "pro" is that it is less expensive than the Bakup; the "con" is that it mounts to the passenger seat pan so it's a little more trouble to install. You can still remove the backrest easily if you want to (I've never felt the need).

The Utopia has a big following in the Goldwing circles. It mounts a little easier on the Wing, though.

One neat feature of the Utopia is that the vertical mounting bar has a spring-detent high-low setting. If you put your driver seat in the high position, just give the backrest a tug and it pops into the high setting. If you drop your driver seat to the low position, just push down on the Utopia and you're all set, no tools.

It also has a little zippered bag with a shoulder strap on the back of the backrest for your passenger to use.

post #13 of 17 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 5:49 pm
Premium Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarter

I just checked them out at there web site.
http://www.utpr.com/bmw.html
It looks like a good product but only available in Black?
I wish my backup had adjustments from front to back. Other than that I have been happy with the Backup for 2 years. I think the dealer price on the backup was $275 with a 15% discount on all accessories the first 30 or 60 days from purchase. That got it to around $234.00 plus tax.

Tony 05
post #14 of 17 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 7:23 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Any dealer selling a Bakup for $234 is losing money.

Bakup does have front to back adjustment. It's the set screw that you have to thread in to push ithe backrest forward or out to push it back. It also has up or down adjustment.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #15 of 17 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 7:57 pm
Premium Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
Any dealer selling a Bakup for $234 is losing money.

Bakup does have front to back adjustment. It's the set screw that you have to thread in to push ithe backrest forward or out to push it back. It also has up or down adjustment.
Your probably right Raffy .Most likely it was $375 with 15% for new customers. It was only in 05 and they wouldn't have gone up that much in that short of time. My Bakup does have that set screw but it only pushes the bottom out as opposed to moving the whole unit forward. I only need about a half inch more forward to be perfect. Any suggestions?

Tony 05
post #16 of 17 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 2:18 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Actually, current MSRP on the bakup is $415. It went up from $395 which was the original MSRP when they were first out.

You should have 'set' adjustment threaded bolt at the base of the backrest vertical bracket that allows for the backrest head to move forward or back. You also have two bolts with nuts that if you loosen the nuts, allows to move the backrest up or down.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #17 of 17 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 3:20 pm

Thumbs up Backrest Recommendation

My favorite backrest is fully adjustable, easily removable, very comfortable and keeps me warm on those chilly rides.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in