New to LT world - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 7:59 pm Thread Starter

Smile New to LT world

I just picked up my new to me 2003 K1200LT. I love the bike so far.
Previously owned K75, K100RS, R1100RT, R1200GS. I must say this has
the best ride of them all. I've had the bike about a week now and have added 1000 miles to the bike. The bike to me was a bargain. 4600 miles on it
when picked up from the dealer. They received it as a trade on a new Triumph. In turn I traded in my R1200GS for pretty much an even trade. It was even after I sold off all the accessories. So I just wanted to say hello.
I've already done a few things from this forum and they are excellent. (cut the brown wire, changed the throttle cables, replaced the shifter linkage).
For anyone interested I've changed my shifter linkage to heim joints designed for go carts. They are a lot more durable the stop linkage and very smooth along with no play. Next time I have the bike apart I'll take some pics of the linkage.

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 8:42 pm

Smile

welcome, hope you enjoy it as much as some of us do
post #3 of 11 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 12:40 am

Hey fellow Westfield-tonian! Is that what we're called?! LOL Moved here from Arkansas and still don't know what we're called...LOL

Anyway....I live just passed the Mass Pike entrance. Lets get together and do some riding!

post #4 of 11 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 9:26 pm

I see you're up by WSC. Nice area. I'm up off of Southampton Rd just after the Mobil station. If you don't mind riding with a guy on a Sportster, I'm always looking for people to ride with and see new areas. I have become real fond of riding up in Vermont.
post #5 of 11 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 8:34 am

Massachusians galore! Helloooo out there! I live near Framingham and only recently have discovered the wonderful roads out by Springfield neighborhood. Hopefully we can hook up for a ride sometime (if you don't mind being joined by British iron until I can afford the new ride).

-Dave
post #6 of 11 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 11:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bghubr
For anyone interested I've changed my shifter linkage to heim joints designed for go carts. They are a lot more durable the stop linkage and very smooth along with no play. Next time I have the bike apart I'll take some pics of the linkage.

Brian
Please do... I'm interested... Never thot about g-kart kits...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 11 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 11:15 am

Welcome, Don't forget to keep on eye on the North East Section for rides and Tech Sessions. Look out for the BBDs there a bunch of bad dudes.

Again welcome.

Jim

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #8 of 11 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 7:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by used2jeep
Massachusians galore! Helloooo out there! I live near Framingham and only recently have discovered the wonderful roads out by Springfield neighborhood. Hopefully we can hook up for a ride sometime (if you don't mind being joined by British iron until I can afford the new ride).

-Dave
Where in Western Mass? I am in Westfield. And I have to ask........you like the Springfield roads? Meet me at my house and I will show you what nice rides are all about!
post #9 of 11 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 4:10 pm

I also just purchased a new to me 2000 K1200Lt
I am going to pick up next Thursday and ride it about 800 miles home.
I am not very familiar with these (other than what I have seen and heard)
Is there anything I should watch out for.
I noticed in an earlier post something about a brown wire??
Very excited, can't wait!!

Chris
post #10 of 11 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 11:05 pm Thread Starter

Everyday on this site is more informative

Today I removed I cd changer to replace it with the Ipod interface.
Tried doing a lot of research on my own but found a lot of information here.
I still have not made a decision on which device to use. I'm debating between the Dice unit, USA Spec, and the BMW unit sold for the 325i.
I heard of problems with the USA Spec unit but it was the older model. The dice unit works, but now I'm real curious as to wether the device developed by BMW and Apple will work on the LT. Also just purchased the throttle cable upgrade and can't wait to get that installed. That is tomorrows project.
post #11 of 11 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 3:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bghubr
Today I removed I cd changer to replace it with the Ipod interface.
Tried doing a lot of research on my own but found a lot of information here.
I still have not made a decision on which device to use. I'm debating between the Dice unit, USA Spec, and the BMW unit sold for the 325i.
I heard of problems with the USA Spec unit but it was the older model. The dice unit works, but now I'm real curious as to wether the device developed by BMW and Apple will work on the LT. Also just purchased the throttle cable upgrade and can't wait to get that installed. That is tomorrows project.
Interesting... I bought an $18 MP3 player that takes up about 15% of the space in my oddiments box and a $1.95 connecting wire. MP3 holds over 16 hours of music... Don't know what I would do with a Dice/BMW unit...

Am I missing sumpthin' here???

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in