Help - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 5:38 pm Thread Starter

Angry Help

I was on the way back from the NASCAR race in Chicago yesterday. Along the way, 10 miles north of Vicksburg, MS, the ole bullet just stopped running. I had just filled up at an Arab convienence store about 20 miles back. Got all electric, lights etc and the starter turns over. Just installed a new battery last week on the day I left on the trip. I suspect that the gas is bad or that it has water in it. Any suggestions????? I will drain the gas and put some new in it tonight. Is there any way to check the fuel filter and/or fuel pump which is installed in the tank without tearing is down??????

By the way, the sheriff's department in Warren County, MS are the best I have ever encountered. Three deputies help me get it to a transportation company and shipped home for the last 165 miles. Also, Dr. Patrick Smith from Jackson, MS who is listed in the BMOA Owners Anonymous was also a great help. Great thanks will go out in the mail to all of these guys for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 6:26 pm

Did you overfill the tank? If so, you might have flooded fuel cannister. That can cause a vacuum to build in your tank because it's no longer vented and stall out the motor. Pop the gas cap and see if any air rushes into the tank. If so, ride home with the gas cap loose, and we'll tell you how to disconnect the cannister. (You don't need it anyway.)

-joel
post #3 of 23 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 10:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5lo
I was on the way back from the NASCAR race in Chicago yesterday. Along the way, 10 miles north of Vicksburg, MS, the ole bullet just stopped running. I had just filled up at an Arab convienence store about 20 miles back. Got all electric, lights etc and the starter turns over. Just installed a new battery last week on the day I left on the trip. I suspect that the gas is bad or that it has water in it. Any suggestions????? I will drain the gas and put some new in it tonight. Is there any way to check the fuel filter and/or fuel pump which is installed in the tank without tearing is down??????
You didn't accidently put diesel in, I hope! That happened to a couple of friends of mine. You have to pull the tank off to get to the filter and pump, but you can check the pump operation by listening to it pump up pressure as you turn on the key. If your bike has fuel linke quick disconnects you can pull off the right side cover to get to them to drain the tank if necessary. I'm glad you found some good samaritans!

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:

post #4 of 23 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 10:40 pm

And???

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5lo

By the way, the sheriff's department in Warren County, MS are the best I have ever encountered. Three deputies help me get it to a transportation company and shipped home for the last 165 miles. Also, Dr. Patrick Smith from Jackson, MS who is listed in the BMOA Owners Anonymous was also a great help. Great thanks will go out in the mail to all of these guys for the help.

What happened???

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #5 of 23 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 10:45 pm

What is an Arab convenience store?

Ralph
Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam
post #6 of 23 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 11:10 pm

Quote:
What is an Arab convenience store?
A store located in an area convenient for the use by Arabs, I suppose.

Or a QuickieMart...

DOH !

<Hijack> Used to live in Philly, How is it these days...<end hijack>

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #7 of 23 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 4:03 pm Thread Starter

Cool Still will not run

Last night I drained the gas and put in a gallon of fresh fuel. Crank and crank and crank. No joy. Will not even fire. Guess will haul it off to the dealer.

By the way, an Arab convenience store is one that is owned and run by an an A-rab. Aren't all convenience stores owned and run by A-rabs?????
post #8 of 23 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 10:07 pm

Garage
Thumbs down

Arab...Jew...Spic...Commie...WOP...Wetback...Jap.. .What difference does it make who owns or operated the store where you bought your gas from?

Oh right... it's a big conspiracy to get back at all the redneck from Whatever Town your from who is too lazy to fill out his profile.

Dude, whenever you point out an ethnicity to describe anything, your demeaning yourself. IMHO, it's a classless act.

FWIW, I think you got crap gas and you're clogging your injectors or fuel lines. That or it's bad karma for your racist attitude. Take your pick!

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #9 of 23 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 10:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVB1019
Arab...Jew...Spic...Commie...WOP...Wetback...Jap.. .What difference does it make who owns or operated the store where you bought your gas from?

Oh right... it's a big conspiracy to get back at all the redneck from Whatever Town your from who is too lazy to fill out his profile.

Dude, whenever you point out an ethnicity to describe anything, your demeaning yourself. IMHO, it's a classless act.

FWIW, I think you got crap gas and you're clogging your injectors or fuel lines. That or it's bad karma for your racist attitude. Take your pick!

Man...you YANKEES sure are touchy!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 23 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 10:24 pm

Sparky???

Did you check for a spark at the plugs???
post #11 of 23 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 10:33 pm

Spark, Fuel, Air.. That's all it takes.

When one is missing, nothing works...

Check the fuse for the fuel pump. Do you hear it pressure up when you first turn on the key ?

Check for spark at one of the plugs..

Kind of hard to mess up air..

Try a little shot of ether into the air intake.. If you're getting spark, at least that'll ignite.. Then you're down to the gas..

If your injectors and fuel lines are full of "bad" gas.. it might take a bit of work to get it all cleared out...Maybe disconnect the fuel line at the rail and let some new gas flow thru...

Let us know what you find out..

Later.

john

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #12 of 23 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 8:05 am

A-rab gas

I hope you'll let us know what happened to your bike. Don't be deterred by the earlier "holier than thou" post. We'd like to know in case we ever encounter it.........Thanks.

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #13 of 23 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 5:29 pm

Garage
While I feel for k5lo's situation, I objected to his use of the term ARAB Convenience Store. I explained my objections to his use of this racial insensitive term. Why is that being "holier than thou" ?

Many of these convenance store owners work 12-14 hour days regularly. What difference does it make of his ethnicity?

I also find it odd that the moderators would allow this thread to continue. I had a thread deleted a few days ago because a link (that was clearly labled NOT WORK FRIENDLY) I included went to a picture of a topless woman with a painted on jacket.

Admitted, this a tad bit tasteless and it poked fun at our ATGATT debates. I guess in the Bible Belt nudity is bad but racist comments are good!

Give me nudie pic over a bigoted comment any day!

Rob V.B.
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

post #14 of 23 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 7:50 pm

May be because this site is about the LT and not the owner?

There seems to be an area where one can tell other people how to think and act?

Bob, 0h 0h LT
post #15 of 23 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 8:11 pm

Double Standard???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVB1019
Arab...Jew...Spic...Commie...WOP...Wetback...Jap...What difference does it make who owns or operated the store where you bought your gas from?

You know...I was joking around too earlier and BTW I didn't agree with the original posting as an "arab" store...but honestly, you scolded him for his use of a people group in a derogatory way and then you proceeded to do the very same thing yourself by labeling him as a "redneck -- in Whatever Town". Do you see it?

Just strange how double standards are used all the time. Prejudice takes many forms and is something we ALL have to watch for.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #16 of 23 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 8:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
You know...I was joking around too earlier and BTW I didn't agree with the original posting as an "arab" store...but honestly, you scolded him for his use of a people group in a derogatory way and then you proceeded to do the very same thing yourself by labeling him as a "redneck -- in Whatever Town". Do you see it?

Just strange how double standards are used all the time. Prejudice takes many forms and is something we ALL have to watch for.
Hey Jack,

thanks for both of your posts

dang tarheel

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

post #17 of 23 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 9:11 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack

Hi Jack,

I used the term redneck to further my arguement about name calling. No offense intended to my friends in the South.

I think what bothered me the most was how no called the orginal poster to task.

I agree that this is a board to solve discuss the LT. However, in this instance I felt compled to address his use of adjectives. A wise priest once told me this story:

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.

I could have let it go but chose to reply,

Rob V.B.
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

post #18 of 23 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 9:26 pm

I didnt read anything about coming for an Arab but leaving an Arab store.?
post #19 of 23 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 9:37 pm

Too funny John!!!!! Or is it two funny? Or to funny?
post #20 of 23 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 10:57 pm

I'm a German and I dont care if you call my business German.

But I am a Southerner and proud of it.!!!!!!!!
post #21 of 23 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 11:09 pm
King of the Castle

I thought an Arab convenience store was one with 70 virgins waiting inside?

Bruce

2012 Kawasaki Concours
2014 BMW K1600 GTL Exclusive
2006 Harley Road Glide

post #22 of 23 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 4:04 am

Thank goodness for Carlos Mencia!

Me, I'm a Anglo cracker.

Bob, living in old Mexico.

0h 0h LT
post #23 of 23 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 6:46 am

After all that how are you making out with getting the bike running?

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in