Oil Leak and slipping clutch - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 10:49 am Thread Starter
sgt

Thumbs down Oil Leak and slipping clutch

Oil is on bottom of tranny, leaking on floor, clutch slips in 5th gear when roll on of throttle, oil level is down in engine....how is the best way to get to rear engine seal???????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 10:58 am

Good insurance and a hand grenade

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #3 of 7 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 11:08 am

Got wrenches ?

2000 K1200LT
1981 Honda CBX ( kind of for sale)

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 11:11 am
Lifetime Supporter

Unfortunately, there is no 'good' way to get to those seals. At least for the less than totally committed and skillful home mechanic. The procedure has been described here in the forums before, usually in conjunction with the clutch slave master cylinder repair/replacement. The hang-up? You have to start at the back of the bike and start removing parts: wheel, rear drive, drive shaft, tranny, etc.

Several people on the site have done it, but I saw it was rated for ten hours or so shop labor, and quickly decided that would probably be 40 hours for me and weeks of a partially disemboweled whale in my garage.

Motor On ,/'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 12:17 pm

Me too, I have started sort of. Got most of the plastic off and sit on the floor and just stare at the bike.

DON
post #6 of 7 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 4:33 pm

Join the crowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt
Oil is on bottom of tranny, leaking on floor, clutch slips in 5th gear when roll on of throttle, oil level is down in engine....how is the best way to get to rear engine seal???????
I'm looking at the same thing - although there is another possible failure mode (as suggested to me by Dave Shealey): the crankcase ventilation hose may have failed and resulted in oil eventually flowing down the outside of the engine case.

I still have enough clutch to commute to work and use all gears; however, I'll be tearing into the beast in the near future. As others have said, it's labor-intensive...but I understand it's not that complex, and if you can get your hands on the right sockets (including the modified 30mm deep socket for re-installing the swingarm), it's an extremely valuable learning experience. And for most of us, it's a great opportunity to replace a bunch of other hard-to-get-at wear items while we're in there.

Dave

'03 K1200LT-C Dark Graphite
'96 Triumph Sprint 900 British Racing Green (traded)
'95 Yamaha Virago 750 Pearl/Black (sold)
post #7 of 7 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 7:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweintechnik
I'm looking at the same thing - although there is another possible failure mode (as suggested to me by Dave Shealey): the crankcase ventilation hose may have failed and resulted in oil eventually flowing down the outside of the engine case.-----------------
That will result in oil going down the sides/rear of the engine, and showing up on the bottom of the case, but will not result in clutch failure, as the oil will only be external.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in