HID install time (Flashtek) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 10:17 pm Thread Starter

HID install time (Flashtek)

I got an email from Fedex that says I should have my HID kits from Flashtek Friday. I was trying to decide if I want to plan on installing them this weekend.

I have never had my nose cone off of the bike, but I assume it's not that big of a deal. How long does it take to install the kits (I am doing both the high and low beam)?

Is there any instructions out there that works will with the Flashtek product?

TIA
Dean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 11:22 pm

Flashtech? Can't help ya with that. I did the low beam CQ HID kit on my '02 following Joe's 'no need to remove the cone' instructions. Worked great! Took me 'bout an hour first time - then about 30 minutes next time around.

See the 'lighting' forum - lots of good info there.

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 21 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 11:52 pm

Do the no nose cone plastic off low beam install and you might decide to skip the high beam.
Did a Flashtek 5000k H-7 low beam install, like joe or messenger 13
describes, took about an hour. Works great, no blue tint after it warms up, flash bulb bright white light. WOW!!! what a difference.
No changes in the headlight adjuster and nobody has flashed me yet. 2000 k1200lt canyon red, daily rider since I gave my son my old car.
Bought it new.
The directions Joe provided for the CQ kit worked for the Flashtek H-7 kit I got.

Last edited by Coot; Jul 17th, 2007 at 12:25 am.

post #4 of 21 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 12:45 am

We did my CQ low beam in about an hour with the nose cone off. It was pretty much plug and play. The high beam however too a couple of hours longer and some work from the dremel king (Kevin Flannigan) to get the plastic housing to fit right.

Tim Frederick
Woodbury, MN
post #5 of 21 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 7:43 am
cws

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_BMW
I got an email from Fedex that says I should have my HID kits from Flashtek Friday. I was trying to decide if I want to plan on installing them this weekend.

I have never had my nose cone off of the bike, but I assume it's not that big of a deal. How long does it take to install the kits (I am doing both the high and low beam)?

Is there any instructions out there that works will with the Flashtek product?

TIA
Dean
You should do it easy in a day stripped down, I took a lot of time - but then I just about numbered every screw as I took it out! Joes instructions were great. Some pics of my nosecone off (2005), mounting position and notes here (did mine 2 weekends back).
Had a chance to try the high beam tonight for first time, and it seemed to barely make a difference . Maybe I've got the low set a little high, but I matched it to where the beam from the halogen low sat before I switched it out.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #6 of 21 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 12:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

No wrench here...

It was the first time I took the tupperware off her. Doing both high and low Fashtec HIDs it took me all morning and most of the afternoon. The tupperware was no problem. The low beam was no problem. I had to really think about how to hold the high beam bulb in the metal retainer that mates with the black plastic holder. I ended up dremmeling out all the plastic in the plastic holder and wrapping the lead wires with electrical tape and a tie wrap all around the tab that is on on end of the holder. I'm still not comfortable with that solution, but it's been working so far. The high beam hasn't moved at all, yet.

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #7 of 21 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 2:50 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt
It was the first time I took the tupperware off her. Doing both high and low Fashtec HIDs it took me all morning and most of the afternoon. The tupperware was no problem. The low beam was no problem. I had to really think about how to hold the high beam bulb in the metal retainer that mates with the black plastic holder. I ended up dremmeling out all the plastic in the plastic holder and wrapping the lead wires with electrical tape and a tie wrap all around the tab that is on on end of the holder. I'm still not comfortable with that solution, but it's been working so far. The high beam hasn't moved at all, yet.
mmmm... I was under the impression that the flashtec was able to be installed without modifying anything... was I wrong??
post #8 of 21 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 3:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

...and the ballasts, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_BMW
mmmm... I was under the impression that the flashtec was able to be installed without modifying anything... was I wrong??
There are other threads that address that issue (see the original thread on the group purchase). I couldn't find any that mentioned exactly what they did for the high (H3) bulb. I was hoping that someone would chime in as to a much more elegant solution.
I haven't mentioned dealing with two ballasts where there's not much room. I need to take her apart again and velcro them to the top section of the fairing with the headlight. I didn't have the velcro at the time, so I tie-wrapped them between the front forks. Not what you want to do. To heavy and exposed to stay there.
Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!

Last edited by jers99lt; Jul 17th, 2007 at 3:11 pm. Reason: add thread detail
post #9 of 21 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 3:45 pm

Not familiar with the Flashtek but every HID kit I have inslalled (6 so far) have never needed to modify the bulb holder.

Kits have been from HID-Sin, CQ-LIGHTS & XenonPro.

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform

post #10 of 21 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 5:57 pm
ajs

I installed both Hi and Lo Fashtek HID's on my '05lt this winter. It took me some time because I did it with the nose cone off for other reasons and tried a number of options for ballast location. I didn't like the forks location because it interfered with the left and right turn of the handle bars. I didn't like the on top of the low beam location because I don't like to modify the OEM housing and I couldn't get happy with securing them.

I finally settled for mounting them behind the framing for the break-away mirrors, one on each side. I plugged the original 12V. connectors into the ballasts and ran the output wires down to the head lights. The bike wiring and the wiring supplied by Fashtek was sufficient.

They have been installed for about 3000 miles now and I didn't change any of the headlight aim settings and have never had any one approaching flash their headlights at me. I agree with others here when they say there isn't much of a difference with the high beam on but do they ever make a difference just on low beam.

Over all, I am very happy with them, and would recommend them as a worthwhile mod. It took me some time to install but most of that time was taken up in finding a suitable location for the ballasts. I wasn't in a hurry so I took my time. I also took pictures of the ballast mountings. If you are interested let me know and I will try to post them for you.
post #11 of 21 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 6:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I felt it was necessary

Did I modify the high beam (H3) bulb holder needlessly? How could it be done differently? She's a '99LT.
Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

post #12 of 21 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 7:02 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Ok, I have done over 100 HID installs. I think I can speak from experience or I may learn something new based on the response I get.

HID-Online.com from UK. The kit for the H3 comes with bare wires from the bulb which then is passed through the custom spacer then the black bulb holder and then the connectors are added to the bare wires to connect to the ballast/igniter.

CQLights.ca kit comes with connectors installed and a grommet. I have drilled out the black plastic holder to get the grommet and the wire connectors through the black plastic bulb holder.

I don't believe I have worked with Flashtek kits yet.

Educate me if it is possible to install an H3 HID bulb in the headlight housing without:

1) the use of the balck plastic bulb holder

or

2) getting the connectors through the bulb holder without modification.

I'm serious. If it can be done, it would eliminate a good 20-30 minutes from the install time.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #13 of 21 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 8:16 pm
ajs

It has been some time since I did the install on my '05 LT and my grey headed memory isn't the greatest, but I will tell it as I recall it.

I used an H7 Lo. beam and an H9 Hi beam. Both mounted directly into the OEM receptors without modification. I drilled a hole in the Lo. beam cover to accommodate the fashtek supplied grommet for the wiring to the H7 bulb. The 12V input was direct plug in, and the output was two single tab plug ins to each bulb. Just had to be careful to get the polarity right.

For a one time install, the time for installation wasn't of great concern to me. I was more interested in not modifying anything to do the install especially if I wanted to revert back to the OEM bulbs later. I also wanted to make sure the ballasts were not going to obstruct or impede other things on the bike in any way.
post #14 of 21 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 8:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Either option 1 or 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
Ok, I have done over 100 HID installs. I think I can speak from experience or I may learn something new based on the response I get.

HID-Online.com from UK. The kit for the H3 comes with bare wires from the bulb which then is passed through the custom spacer then the black bulb holder and then the connectors are added to the bare wires to connect to the ballast/igniter.

CQLights.ca kit comes with connectors installed and a grommet. I have drilled out the black plastic holder to get the grommet and the wire connectors through the black plastic bulb holder.

I don't believe I have worked with Flashtek kits yet.

Educate me if it is possible to install an H3 HID bulb in the headlight housing without:

1) the use of the balck plastic bulb holder

or

2) getting the connectors through the bulb holder without modification.

I'm serious. If it can be done, it would eliminate a good 20-30 minutes from the install time.
There is no way, that I could devise, with the Fasktek H3 high beam that precludes removal of all plastic within the plastic bulb holder. The existing metal retaining fixture that holds the bulb firmly forward isn't a problem. It's gutting the plastic that leaves you with no means to firmly support the bulb.
If the bulb holder was not modified, then then retaining clip wouldn't press against the bulb as it did with the original bulb. The Fastek bulb also won't pass through the plastic housing either, without the housing being honed out.
I'm just not comfortable with electrical tape and tie wraps holding the wires to press against the metal retaining fixture.
The assembly has the bulb, wires, rubber grommet and external connections coming out of the grommet. Too tight of an assembly to tear apart. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

post #15 of 21 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 9:59 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

OK Jerry:

I'll let you in on my secret having just two weeks ago done an HID install and having to deal with this same issue. It is working so far. Time will tell.

I honed out the black plastic bulb holder, passed the connectors first, then the grommet and slipped the metal retainer over the bulb and then secured the retainer to the plastic bulb holder. The problem here is that the bulb will be loose since there is no back pressure on it to stay against the retainer. I reused the small metal spring (that was part of the original setup inside the plastic bulb holder) and wedged it against the base of the HID bulb being careful that the pigtail wires were not touching the metal spring.

I had Ted Hudson test it out at night and report back to me. All is well and the HID bulb depth is correct and there are no halos - this happens if the bulb is not at the correct depth inside the headlight housing. Too far back towards the dust cover and you have a big black spot in the middle of the light pattern.

I am working on another solution that will be easier but will still necessitate honing out the bulb holder.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #16 of 21 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 11:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
OK Jerry:

I'll let you in on my secret having just two weeks ago done an HID install and having to deal with this same issue. It is working so far. Time will tell.

I honed out the black plastic bulb holder, passed the connectors first, then the grommet and slipped the metal retainer over the bulb and then secured the retainer to the plastic bulb holder. The problem here is that the bulb will be loose since there is no back pressure on it to stay against the retainer. I reused the small metal spring (that was part of the original setup inside the plastic bulb holder) and wedged it against the base of the HID bulb being careful that the pigtail wires were not touching the metal spring.

I had Ted Hudson test it out at night and report back to me. All is well and the HID bulb depth is correct and there are no halos - this happens if the bulb is not at the correct depth inside the headlight housing. Too far back towards the dust cover and you have a big black spot in the middle of the light pattern.

I am working on another solution that will be easier but will still necessitate honing out the bulb holder.
I couldn't get the metal spring (bent brass strip) to fold into a position I didn't think would sever the wiring it was pushing against. That didn't feel right for me when I went in that direction.
A solid neoprene tube with two slots running on opposite sides could be inserted into the dremmeled out housing and the wires slotted into the tube.
The tube would push up against the wires at the base of the bulb and press it firmly against the metal retainer.
HTH. I'll be working on trying to fabricate something that fills the demmeled out piece and firmly holds the wires and presses the bulb forward.
Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

post #17 of 21 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 10:34 pm Thread Starter

After reading all of this, I am kind of wishing I hadn't ordered a high beam kit
post #18 of 21 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 12:44 am

Don't be scared Dean...

I ordered the high beam as well as low from FashTek. Sure, some modification to the high beam lampholder is necessary but it's no big deal. The light is well worth it in my opinion.
I ended up Dremeling (izzat a word?) out enough of the plastic lampholder to get the leads through, then after many days of pondering I went with the high temperature RTV silicone to hold the bulb in place. Filled the black ring right up. If I ever have to replace it that stuff will cut out easy enough. Even keep my 'Z' clip & old bulb in the bike just in case it fails on the road. It'll all go back together stock in a short amount of time, even on the side of the road.. Just make sure you find a way to hold the lamp still & in place for several hours (at the least) while the silicone sets.

As far as the ballasts go, I mounted them on their sides, end to end on top of the headlight housing with the wires coming out at opposite ends. I used Velcro to fasten them to the light housing on the bottom, to the nose cone at the top, and both ends together. Wish I'd have snapped a few photos, it worked out VERY well.

Now that I know what's involved would I do it again? Most certainly. I'd even volunteer to help someone else through it if you're nearby. Oklahomie is a bit far though...
post #19 of 21 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 12:55 am
cws

Garage
Rick, is that on a pre-05? I only needed to make a minor adjustment to the tabs on the high beam (H11) for mine. No silicone or alterations to the high beam housing itself.
cheers

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #20 of 21 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 1:10 am
Senior Member (ret.)

Pre-05, the high beam was H3. 05 and on the high beam is an H9 and an H11 HID bulb will fit.

Raffy
post #21 of 21 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 1:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
Rick, is that on a pre-05? I only needed to make a minor adjustment to the tabs on the high beam (H11) for mine. No silicone or alterations to the high beam housing itself.
cheers
Yeah, 2001 model here... sometimes I forget there's differences. Gonna go add a sig line now so I don't get anyone confused...

Rick
'01 LT

Last edited by Rick-L; Jul 19th, 2007 at 1:44 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in