99-04 Center stand reminder - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 8:56 pm Thread Starter

99-04 Center stand reminder

I happened upon a thread in the HoW about putting the LT on the center stand. Ron Miller advised using the left foot on the stand, facing the rear of the bike, getting both the stand's "feet" on the ground, and STANDING on the stand lever.

I had tried pushing mine forward, then pulling backward, while pushing down with my right foot. This usually got it onto the stand, but it "wallered" right and left. I thought this wasn't too good.

Using the left foot and pushing hard, the bike just sits like it should. Not nearly as difficult to do as before. Learning new techniques is GOOD!

I know this is in the HoW, but I thought some of our newer members, me included, might not see it.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 8:44 am

I face the bike with my left hand on the handlebar and right on the handle by the seat and put my right foot on the center stand and stand on it. It is as easy as can be. I have used the same thing on all my bikes over the years and have never had a problem.
post #3 of 5 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 12:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATFLT
I face the bike with my left hand on the handlebar and right on the handle by the seat and put my right foot on the center stand and stand on it. It is as easy as can be. I have used the same thing on all my bikes over the years and have never had a problem.
I weigh 205 lbs and simply "standing" on the CS is not enough for me to get it on the stand. I do exactly the same as described above but I shift my weight to the left first, then make one sweeping motion to the right to lift it on the stand. Kind of a one-two (left-right) motion.

Works like a charm every time...

Mike M

2007 K1200GT Dark Graphite

post #4 of 5 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 3:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee510
I happened upon a thread in the HoW about putting the LT on the center stand. Ron Miller advised using the left foot on the stand, facing the rear of the bike, getting both the stand's "feet" on the ground, and STANDING on the stand lever.

I had tried pushing mine forward, then pulling backward, while pushing down with my right foot. This usually got it onto the stand, but it "wallered" right and left. I thought this wasn't too good.

Using the left foot and pushing hard, the bike just sits like it should. Not nearly as difficult to do as before. Learning new techniques is GOOD!

I know this is in the HoW, but I thought some of our newer members, me included, might not see it.
Glad to hear this is working well for you, but you left out an important part of the technique:

Your left hand should be on the left handlebar grip (with the fork to full left lock), and your right hand on the left saddlebag grip.

Vee yust vant to take care of zee back!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #5 of 5 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 7:52 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
(with the fork to full left lock), and your right hand on the left saddlebag grip.
I hadn't seen the part about having the handlebar turned. Being to top heavy, I thought it best to have the front wheel straight. That also allows the beast to go straight back when going on the stand. Since I had such good luck with the wheel straight, I may stick with that for the time being. I do have my hand on the side case. Too tall, arms not long enough for the side grab handle.

I tried the seated method several times, but got nowhere. It felt like it might go, but just not quite there. Definitely didn't want to go sideways!

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in