Red Line Heavy Shockproof Gear Oil - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 7:35 pm Thread Starter

Red Line Heavy Shockproof Gear Oil

As most of you know I had to replace the rear drive on my 2005 LT with 41,281 miles. I had caught it before it had shown any problem by having the oil analysis. I had been using Mobil 1 75W/120 Synthetic gear oil changing it about every 3,000 miles. After replacing the rear drive I was using BMW synthetic 75W/120. I changed it at 600 miles and again at 2,000 miles. Both times it looked pretty dark but no metal on the drain plug. I then took a 2,700 mile trip and when I got home I drained it and sent it in to be analysis. Again it was pretty dark. I got the test back and it said iron elevated other readings appear to be normal. Resample in 2,000 miles to monitor. This was the wear metals. The oil condition/particle count was all 0, which is good. They told me there was more wear than they felt normal, which shows oil is not doing a good job. They suggested Red Line heavy shockproof gear oil. I see where there are several on the website that are using this. I had a hard time finding it in the Omaha area but finely did. I had about 1,000 miles on the oil in the rear drive today when I drained it. This was the BMW 75W/120 oil and it came out just like new oil this time. Nothing on the drain plug so I feel the rear drive is cleaned out. I filled it with the Red Line heavy gear oil. It is just like heavy red paint. Since I had it I also changed the transmission using the Red Line oil. I will run it for at least 2,000 miles then send it in and have it analysis. I would like to hear comments from people on here that are using the Red Line oil. When I get it analysis I will post the results. I feel having the rear drive oil analysis is the best way to caught it before breaking down on the road.

Jerry Mathison
Woodbine, Iowa
2008 Gold Wing
2005 Ocean Blue (Sold)
BMWMOA #25294

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 12:20 am

Red Line

Where in Omaha did you find the Red Line Lube?

Has anyone ever had a final drive failure while using the Red Line lube in the final drive??

--Thats OK I don't care--
post #3 of 26 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 12:24 am

105000 miles on Red Line Heavy duty shockproof and it is still pretty and pink when I change it every 24000 miles.
Use it in the tranny too.

post #4 of 26 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 8:10 am Thread Starter

Red Line Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine
Where in Omaha did you find the Red Line Lube?

Has anyone ever had a final drive failure while using the Red Line lube in the final drive??
Total Performance Parts, 8427 Madison Street, Omaha, NE 68127, Phone 402-731-5000 carries Red Line Oil.

Jerry Mathison
Woodbine, Iowa
2008 Gold Wing
2005 Ocean Blue (Sold)
BMWMOA #25294

post #5 of 26 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 9:18 am

And for those in the UK

In the UK you can get it from
http://www.cp-components.co.uk/

17.50 inc. postage

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #6 of 26 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 12:43 pm

I've used the Heavy in my drive since it was warrantee replaced 26K miles ago. No problems and no indication of wear when changed (magnet clean). Never had it analyzed, but so far so good. Never tried the heavy in the gearbox though. The Amsoil 75W/90 seems to be working fine there.
post #7 of 26 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 3:54 pm

Red Line Oil

www.myoilshop.com

Full line of Red Line Oil in stock, same day shippment

Use code mos10 for additional 10% discount

Full disclosure:

I own Racer Parts Wholesale which recently bought myoilshop.com. Racer Parts Wholesale operates out of a 10,000 sq ft warehouse in Indianapolis.

We ship Red Line Oil --everyday-- all over the country. We now stock the new Red Line Oil motorcycle products.

Tom Volk
post #8 of 26 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 9:18 pm

I've used Red Line products for almost 25 years, great results.
post #9 of 26 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 10:15 pm

I've used it in the tranny and final drive for 15k. Goes in like strawberry milkshake and comes out like strawberry milk shake. I think it must be working!!
post #10 of 26 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 1:20 pm

Which of the Rd Line products are you using for tranny and final drive. Red Line has four products for gear oils. Check site at http://www.redlineoil.com/products_g...6&categoryID=6
I have 32,000 miles on my 06 and want to TRY and avoid a failure.

Greg and Melanie

06 BMW K12LT "WANDRR"
05 DL1000 "WNDRR2"
02 Triumph Trophy 1200 "WNDRR3", in Heidelburg

WANDRR Motorcycle Tours
wandrrmotorcycletours.com
BMWMOA, BMWMOAL, IBA, MTF

ITS ALL ABOUT THE RIDE
post #11 of 26 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 3:28 pm

I use the "heavy" gear oil for both gearbox and final drive. 20/50 motoroil for engine.
post #12 of 26 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 5:06 pm

I use shockproof heavy in trans and differential.......................

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #13 of 26 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 6:59 pm

Smile

Just changed mine to the heavy stuff in both the trans and final drive. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Mobil 1 synthetic just lost a customer.
post #14 of 26 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 7:56 pm

Help

Help me out please the BMW gear oil is 85/90. What makes Red line so much better

Live Free and ride
My Rides
1974 Honda CB360T
1982 Suzuki 750G
1980 Honda Gold Wing
1993 Honda Gold Wing
1995 Harley Road King
1999 BMW 1200LT

<center>

post #15 of 26 Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 8:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincesBMW
Help me out please the BMW gear oil is 85/90. What makes Red line so much better

You can go to Relineoil.com and read their documentation...quite extensive, but valuable. I just put it in both my tranny and final drive and WOW..smoooooth. Really noticeable. Not too expensive either -- $8.80 a quart!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #16 of 26 Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 11:07 am

Re: Red Line Heavy Shockproof Gear Oil

Well, this thread is about five years old as I write this; I found it in the 'similar threads' at the bottom of a current thread. Bumping it because it has interesting information and some updated wisdom on Red Line Heavy Shockproof could be useful to have in the same thread.

Personally, I have used Red Line Heavy Shockproof in my gearbox and FD on all four of my LTs. I cannot say how much smoother it is, as some other posters have, because that is all I can remember using.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #17 of 26 Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 1:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
Well, this thread is about five years old as I write this; I found it in the 'similar threads' at the bottom of a current thread. Bumping it because it has interesting information and some updated wisdom on Red Line Heavy Shockproof could be useful to have in the same thread.

Personally, I have used Red Line Heavy Shockproof in my gearbox and FD on all four of my LTs. I cannot say how much smoother it is, as some other posters have, because that is all I can remember using.
Unbelievable NOTICEABLE difference. I will never go back....

"You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him."
Leo Aikman

Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

Current Love
2001 K1200LT Champagne (Roxy)

Previous loves...
2000 K1200LT Canyon Red (Suzie Q)
1986 Honda Interceptor Black (Weezy)
1999 K1200LT Graphite (Grey Goose)
post #18 of 26 Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 5:49 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

After speaking to a Redline rep at a convention here in LV a few years back, I asked him what they recommend for the BMW rear end and transmission. They recommended
the Lightweight Shockproof gear oil. There is never a really heavy load on the bike as we ride... not compared to a racing bike or car.

Red_Line_Shockproof_Gear_Oil

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #19 of 26 Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 9:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrym
As most of you know I had to replace the rear drive on my 2005 LT with 41,281 miles. I had caught it before it had shown any problem by having the oil analysis. I had been using Mobil 1 75W/120 Synthetic gear oil changing it about every 3,000 miles. After replacing the rear drive I was using BMW synthetic 75W/120. I changed it at 600 miles and again at 2,000 miles. Both times it looked pretty dark but no metal on the drain plug. I then took a 2,700 mile trip and when I got home I drained it and sent it in to be analysis. Again it was pretty dark. I got the test back and it said iron elevated other readings appear to be normal. Resample in 2,000 miles to monitor. This was the wear metals. The oil condition/particle count was all 0, which is good. They told me there was more wear than they felt normal, which shows oil is not doing a good job. They suggested Red Line heavy shockproof gear oil. I see where there are several on the website that are using this. I had a hard time finding it in the Omaha area but finely did. I had about 1,000 miles on the oil in the rear drive today when I drained it. This was the BMW 75W/120 oil and it came out just like new oil this time. Nothing on the drain plug so I feel the rear drive is cleaned out. I filled it with the Red Line heavy gear oil. It is just like heavy red paint. Since I had it I also changed the transmission using the Red Line oil. I will run it for at least 2,000 miles then send it in and have it analysis. I would like to hear comments from people on here that are using the Red Line oil. When I get it analysis I will post the results. I feel having the rear drive oil analysis is the best way to caught it before breaking down on the road.
Who rebuilt your final drive? It is very unlkely that any issue you are seeing is due to the oil "not doing a good job." If the FD was assembled correctly, any oil meeting specs will do a fine job. If the FD was not assembled correctly, then no magic potion is going to save it. It is nice that people think a magic oil will fix an incorrectly assembled FD, but just aint so.

And frequent oil changes are like looking for a magic potion oil. A properly assembled FD will easily go 12K miles on oil and probably a lot farther than that. An improperly assembled FD won't be saved by 3K mile oil changes.

The frequent changes MAY help you detect the impending failure sooner, but even that appears to be a crap shoot based on the experience of Charlie and others here. Many (most?) FDs fail with virtually no warning.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #20 of 26 Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 11:39 pm

Back when I had my 03 the dealer used to use Redline but now they have gone back to the BMW rear drive oil. Has there been in negative feedback that would make them want to do that?

I had just under 80K on the 03 when I sold it and never had any rear drive problems.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #21 of 26 Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 11:32 pm

Okay, gonna go and show my ignorance here, but I see threads from time to time where people are talking about getting their oil analyzed.

Question 1: where do you have this done?

Question 2: how much does it cost?

Question 3: so I assume they tell you what is in your oil that isn't supposed to be there, do they tell me what that means or do I have to come back here to the forum and rat out how dreadfully ignorant of such issues I am?

Thanks.
post #22 of 26 Old Jul 24th, 2012, 1:24 pm

I'll add that BMW recommends 90 hypoid oil for the final drive. Ordering final drive oil from Beemer Boneyard I got 75-90 synthetic oil for the final drive which matched all the specs. What is the advantage of a 75-140 or similar? Clearly based on what I see here, I'll give redline a try after my next trip.

And ditto to the question above - I would dearly like to be able to test the oil and see if there's a problem before it happens.

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)
post #23 of 26 Old Jul 24th, 2012, 2:04 pm

Smile Re: Red Line Heavy Shockproof Gear Oil

When you guys say what a difference, exactly what is the difference you are experiencing with this brand of lube? Thanks, Ed
post #24 of 26 Old Jul 24th, 2012, 4:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruivis
Back when I had my 03 the dealer used to use Redline but now they have gone back to the BMW rear drive oil. Has there been in negative feedback that would make them want to do that?

I had just under 80K on the 03 when I sold it and never had any rear drive problems.

They quit using it because the Redline had a habit of wicking up and leaking out of the top vent. Thus ruining the brake pads.

Happened to two friends of mine. Makes a real red colored mess all over the rear wheel. You will think that a seal has blown. I was riding with them on a trip when this happened and saw it first hand.
post #25 of 26 Old Jul 25th, 2012, 9:42 am

+1 on knowing what advantages or disadvantages of going to a 75W - 140W synthetic (vs. 75W - 90W synthetic). I am currently running with 75/140 syn on my final drive and tranny.

Glenn
post #26 of 26 Old Jul 25th, 2012, 10:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmann
When you guys say what a difference, exactly what is the difference you are experiencing with this brand of lube? Thanks, Ed
Using Redline in the Trany of my LT and GSA makes shifting smoother.

I still use factory spec'd 75/90 in the Final Drives.
LT is on the origional FD at 88K.
GSA FD failed at 56K, replaced with factory new, started to weep at 76K so reinstalled origional which has been rebuilt by CharlieVT and riding onwards at 79K.
I just change all fluids every 6K myself as it's easy to do while the bike is on the lift.
www.beemerboneyard.com has everything you need.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in