Another Rear Drive Failure - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 2:24 pm Thread Starter

Another Rear Drive Failure

Well it looks like my good luck has run out......I had a rear bearing failure last summer just prior to CCR. Luckily I caught it in time to not trash the rear drive (or so I thought). The bike had roughly 65K miles on it at the time. Now I think I have the same problem again with less than 5K miles on the new bearing. I was at work last week and noticed the dreaded oil all over the rear tire syndrome. I nursed the bike home "hearing" the rear bearing grinding. Once at home I drained the oil and corresponding metal parts that were contained in the rear drive. So at this point I am convinced that the rear bearing is gone it's now just a question of whether the rear drive is also shot. Now i'm waiting for the dealer to open on Tuesday to discuss and schedule an appointment.

As like many on this site, I had come to just not worry about the rear drive and deal with it if/when it happens. But 2 failures in less than 5k miles is certainly frustrating. I am hoping that BMW will step up and help in some way to cover the cost of this failure.

Just as a side note when I inspected the bike at home the rear brakes/disk were covered with a film of gear lube to the extent that I'm not sure they would have worked at all if I needed them. (I typically don't use the rear brake for normal 1 up riding, too used to riding my track bike lately).

So all in all I guess that it was a good thing that I wasn't too far from home when it failed, again. However, having the "new" bearing fail with less than 5K miles on it sure is depressing. I'll keep you posted on what the dealer says......

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 2:55 pm

Sorry to hear it Bill.

I take it your first repair was a rebuild, eh? Who did that for ya?

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 3:35 pm

Hi Bill,
Are you dealing dealing with Bobs? I had my rear bearing, tranny bearing and seals replaced a week ago. Symptoms, leaking at boot and movement in wheel. They replaced mentioned items, also said they used an "upgraded American bearing" After picking up the bike I noticed it had the same movement. I took it by yesterday and they confirmed it was still there, I am taking it back this week also. I believe that some dealers are throwing new bearings and seals in and not shimming, or more appropriately installing new rear drives.
I'm sure if I hadn't felt the wheel and continued to ride that I would have a premature failure.....again. I'd be interested as to their course of action as I'll be right behind you.

post #4 of 5 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 4:06 pm Thread Starter

I am dealing with Morton's down in Feredericksburg, VA. Last summer, just before CCR, I heard a grinding from the rear and took it to Morton's. They replaced only the rear bearing since it had not yet failed. Now its 11 months later and the problem is back only this time its worse. Last time I caught the failure before there were any visible external signs. This time I had the classic oil all over the rear wheel. Also when I drained my rear drive oil metal bits came out with the oil.

So I'm trailering my LT down to Morton's on Saturday for repair. Unfortunately they said it will be at least a week before they can look at it. I'll keep y'all posted.

Bill
post #5 of 5 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 5:50 pm

Sounds a little fishy to me....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in