Spare Key and Fob - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 9:06 pm Thread Starter

Question Spare Key and Fob

I purchased a used 07 K1200LT and only received a single key and fob. Not sure if I was entitled to two but I want to buy a spare. Where is the best place to get a new key and fob? Is there any after market key fobs that are better than the OEM's?

Thank you for your replies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 10:20 pm
Gold Supporter

You should have two fobs

When I bought my LT I got two fobs from the dealer. If you bought it from a dealer you should get two fobs from the factory. It is critical to have two fobs because if the battery goes dead in one fob you are not stranded and have a back up to unlock the bike and change the battery. If you lose or misplace one you are not locked out of your bike. I believe the dealer will need the unique key code that came with your bike to program the second fob.

2005 - K1200 LT Blue
The best in life is yet to come!
post #3 of 18 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 11:03 pm

Mine came from the dealer with one.

post #4 of 18 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 3:55 am

Fobs are $53 at the dealer and there are instructions on how to program them to work. I do not know that there is any aftermarket item and I would guess that there isn't one.

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #5 of 18 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 7:16 am

Garage
Exclamation rut-ro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpostell
I purchased a used 07 K1200LT and only received a single key and fob. Not sure if I was entitled to two but I want to buy a spare.
Mine came with 2 FOBs and 6 keys from the factory. That means there are a lot of keys for your bike running around that you don't possess.

Heracleitus

'12 Victory Cross Country Vivian Vader
'07 LT
die Blau Frau SOLD!
MBW-MOA Member #140221

Last edited by Heracleitus; Jul 16th, 2007 at 7:18 am. Reason: can't count
post #6 of 18 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 7:28 am

I received 2 fobs. One fob had the standard key and the second fob had the standard key and a bunch of other keys without the rubber heads ...

I would hammer the dealer for more keys..
post #7 of 18 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 11:51 am

Blank keys are also available from the dealer. I don't recall the exact price but it wasn't more than $10.

Steve
Granada Hills CA
2005 K1200LT Dark Graphite Metallic
post #8 of 18 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 2:39 pm

You can buy key blanks from the dealer. I bought two for mine, but the dealer could not cut the key. So I had to take it to a key shop to get the key cut off of one of my original keys. Just one note, the key blanks are steel, not brass... make sure you take the blanks to a key shop that can cut a steel key.
post #9 of 18 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 2:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

A standard BMW car blank (Ilco X59) works and can be found, and cut, at any locksmith, Wally World, Home Depot, etc.

Motor On ,/'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 18 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 3:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Extra Keys

Bob's BMW cut extra keys from blanks I bought on eBay.

A fairly sophisticated old-time hardware store cut a key from the same blank set. It looked identical, slipped into the lock, but it would not function.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

Last edited by PMitchell; Jul 16th, 2007 at 3:33 pm. Reason: add
post #11 of 18 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 5:54 pm

I followed JKershi1's advice and went to the local hardware store. They had the X59 blank and cut me a key. It worked fine, so now I have a spare to carry in my wallet. Thanks for the tip!
post #12 of 18 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 6:45 pm

A key "fob" to me is the thing you put your keys ring on. Since the LT's key, at least mine, doesn't have a hole in it, to put it on a ring, what's this "fob" you're talking about needing to unlock the bike?

Are you talking about the little gizmo that arms and disables the alarm? I got one, but I've never used it.
post #13 of 18 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 8:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rglassma
I received 2 fobs. One fob had the standard key and the second fob had the standard key and a bunch of other keys without the rubber heads ...

I would hammer the dealer for more keys..
I got the same combo of keys with my '07.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #14 of 18 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 10:01 pm
Gold Supporter

KEYS Smees

I got a lot of metal keys as well but a dozen keys will not start your bike if you have the bike locked and alarm set and do not have the properly programed fob.

2005 - K1200 LT Blue
The best in life is yet to come!
post #15 of 18 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 10:32 pm

Ditto...you need a second FOB.............................
I just came back from a trip and my battery in the FOB was going low so would not shut off the alarm...........................................
I had to use my "SPARE FOB" to turn off the alarm or 400 miles to a dealer........
Get a spare FOB

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #16 of 18 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 7:07 am

I was talking to my local friend and BMW dealer last weekend. The latest thing BMW is doing to make more money on motorcycles is only providing one key and fob with a new bike. My friend was not happy and neither are people who buy a brand new bike.
post #17 of 18 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 12:19 pm

Cool

I purchased a "spare" blank key from my dealer - it was a simple flat key blank with no thick rubber/plastic piece on the end. I had it cut and it fits nicely in my wallet as a spare key providing access to my bike should I lose or misplace my keys. I usually carry my wallet so it's with me all the time.

Denny
post #18 of 18 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 1:18 pm

Fobless disarm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandoble
I got a lot of metal keys as well but a dozen keys will not start your bike if you have the bike locked and alarm set and do not have the properly programed fob.
I might be wrong, but I seem to recall reading somewhere about a way to use the key (plus possibly a combination of other switches & buttons) to disarm the alarm and enable the ignition without using the fob. I remember that it was a fairly tedious process that you'd probably be doing while the siren was going off, but it is at least possible to ride fobless.

Dave

'03 K1200LT-C Dark Graphite
'96 Triumph Sprint 900 British Racing Green (traded)
'95 Yamaha Virago 750 Pearl/Black (sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in