FRS bike to bike - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 5:15 pm Thread Starter

FRS bike to bike

I am installing a Baehr comm system and am wondering what FRS I should go with. I'd like it to be durable and still be compatible with the majority of people I might end up riding with. [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 6:21 pm

That's the nice thing about FRS - it's fairly well regulated, so there's not a lot of variety out there. At least as the technical bits of the RF function goes. Power out put, antennas, modulation width, etc are all defined by the FCC. You can find some rigs with less - but none with more than allowed. Well, at least legally.

But that means that an FRS will talk to an FRS rig - so long as they have the same channels - no matter who makes 'em.

What you'll be more concerned with is the feature set. Get the bells and whistles you want. Make sure it has the full FRS channel set and go for it. Some will even have GMRS channels - more capability is always a good thing, so long as the budget allows.

Manufacture? Get whatever has adapters available for your Baehr - usually Kenwood, Uniden or some other well known name.

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 20 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 6:29 pm

Some brands of radio have frequencies that don't match the channel number of other radios. You'll need to read the manual of your radio and your buddies to get the frequency used by each of your radios. Just match that frequency even though the radio channels are different numbers. Do the same thing if you're going to use the sub codes as well.

post #4 of 20 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 7:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjklemp
I am installing a Baehr comm system and am wondering what FRS I should go with. I'd like it to be durable and still be compatible with the majority of people I might end up riding with. [email protected]
Two of my friends ride LT's equipped with Baeher communications systems. Each uses a Midland FRS/GMRS radio: one a GXT300, the other a GXT400. Those radios have good range and are reasonably priced. I used to use the GXT400 when I had a Goldwing and liked the radio very much. Be aware that the Midlands need to be set to "VOX" in order to work with the Baehr radio and the Baehr PTT button.

I would still be using a Midland today but my '07 LT came with the Voice II comm system and the pin output of the Midland is not compatible with the Voice II jacks using the BMW factory cord. I now use a Kenwood TK-3131 with the Voice II to communicate with my friends. The Kenwood is a good radio but costs twice as much as a Midlands. Also the Kenwood has 15 channels the Midlands have 22. Finding a common GMRS frequency is not a problem but the radio channel "labels" on the radios are different for some of the frequencies: e.g., Channel 20 on a Midland is the equivalent of channel 10 on my Kenwood; 22 on the Midland is 15 on the Kenwood. I made a conversion chart that I keep in my tank bag. If you ever need the chart, let me know and I will post a PDF file.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #5 of 20 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 9:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEhrler
Some brands of radio have frequencies that don't match the channel number of other radios. You'll need to read the manual of your radio and your buddies to get the frequency used by each of your radios. Just match that frequency even though the radio channels are different numbers. Do the same thing if you're going to use the sub codes as well.
Interesting. I thought the channel numbers and frequencies were legislated. Guess I'll have to look that one up! I'd say easiest way to get around that is to ensure the radio you buy has all the FRS/GMRS channels in it - problem solved.

Lots fo good info out there - here's one site.
Note: their links to the FCC's info pages for FRS and GMRS are out of date. Here are they correct ones. FRS, GMRS

Tate

post #6 of 20 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 9:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
Interesting. I thought the channel numbers and frequencies were legislated. Guess I'll have to look that one up! I'd say easiest way to get around that is to ensure the radio you buy has all the FRS/GMRS channels in it - problem solved.

Lots fo good info out there - here's one site.
Note: their links to the FCC's info pages for FRS and GMRS are out of date. Here are they correct ones. FRS, GMRS
I have a Motorola and a Kenwood whose channels and frequencies match exactly. However, the Icom that I have has the same frequencies but they are on diffenent channels. You have to use the manuals to match the frequency with the channel just as "jhsonderb" stated in his reply above.
post #7 of 20 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 1:38 am

OK - which ones of your radios also have GMRS and which ones don't? I'm SWAG'n here cuz I honestly thought FRS channels were standardized. Trying to understand what and how I've missed it.

So far, every site I'm finding implies the freqs and channels are standardized - if not legislated. So, what's going on here? You guys are obviously seeing something different. These sites that far out of date?

Motorcycle ARC even has a freq list with channel numbers.

Tate

post #8 of 20 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 8:47 am

Regarding the Icom and its channel/frequency assignments: There is a cross-reference list here somewhere -- maybe in the Hall of Wisdom. It shows the "standard" channels assigned by the rest of the world, and compares them to Icom's assignments. I printed it a long time ago and keep it in my tank bag so I can sync up with other FRS/GMRS users.

Also, I think you can program the Icom's channels to correspond to the rest of the world, but that looks like a daunting task in the owner's manual. In previous threads on this topic other Icom users have said once you do it it's no big deal.
(and actually, I have never actually used the Icom -- the one single time I was on a ride with other FRS/GMRS-equipped riders, it didn't work through the Baehr intercom. Guess I'll have to figure that out one of these days... )

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #9 of 20 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 10:14 am

Quote:
OK - which ones of your radios also have GMRS and which ones don't? I'm SWAG'n here cuz I honestly thought FRS channels were standardized. Trying to understand what and how I've missed it.

So far, every site I'm finding implies the freqs and channels are standardized - if not legislated. So, what's going on here? You guys are obviously seeing something different. These sites that far out of date?

Motorcycle ARC even has a freq list with channel numbers.
Attached is the chart that I created so i could convert my Kenwood TK-3131 channels to Midland frequencies (The attached file has multiple copies of the chart so I can cut it up and distribute it to my other rider friends). Note that the FRS channels are all the same. It is the GMRS channels that differ.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kenwood to Midland Frequencies.pdf (29.4 KB, 163 views)

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

Last edited by jhsonderb; Jul 16th, 2007 at 10:20 am.
post #10 of 20 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 10:50 pm Thread Starter

Thank you!

I appreciate your advice.
post #11 of 20 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 11:15 pm

Ah!! Icom likes to do their own thing and they're not the only ones, eh?

Cool

Thanks guys - off to read and see if I can recovery the nice, neat and orderly pattern to my universe.

Tate

post #12 of 20 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 11:16 pm

My buddy and I bought the stuff as spur of the moment idea. No regrets

Just got up and running using Motorola TX800. Both my buddy and I have the baehr system and it works good. bought the cables from national cycle @ the MOA national rally. Used them all the way home. Worked good.

Just one note If you use the motorola you might have to counter bore the jack socket so the Baehr 1/8" plug will go in all the way. national cycle advised us and all went well. I used a pocket knife and all went well. I can post a pic if needed.

Make sure you get the right cables some are for the 2 pin system and some are for the single pin system National will advise you. As may other vendors on this web site will that sell this stuff like raffy.

Mike G
Northen Illinois Packer Fan
K1200lt 2002
LT Trunk Latch Maker
post #13 of 20 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 11:19 pm

To add to the confusion...

I have the ICOM F21GM FRS/GMRS radio that I love! I use it to communicate with my kid's Chatterbox FRS handheld radios. I also use it to communicate with my riding partner, as she has a Chatterbox X1 GMRS radio on her bike.

To talk to my kids, I use channel 9 while they use channel 1. (FRS freq)
To talk to my riding partner, I use channel 3 while she uses channel 1. (GMRS freq)
post #14 of 20 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 12:44 am

Hey Joe, does she have a GMRS license??

::runs, ducks, hides::

Tate

post #15 of 20 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 11:17 am

Quote:
Hey Joe, does she have a GMRS license??

::runs, ducks, hides::
Why . . . umm . . . OF COURSE!!! Yessir! Let's see. It's here somewheres... Maybe my dog ate it?

As for Nancy, she carries a gun so nobody messes with her too much.
post #16 of 20 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 12:20 pm

Quote:
Thanks guys - off to read and see if I can recovery the nice, neat and orderly pattern to my universe.
Hi, Tate. Ah, is that before or after you went rowing across the house?

Karl

Disreputable Rode Hard & Put Up Wet Old Deadbeat Geezer
"We're all here because we're not all there"
--Ken & Gene Hunt
'09 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie -- QuickSilver II
'02 LTE Silver -- Retired
'02 LTC Mauve -- RIP
2009 Subaru WRX, Stage 1 269 whp, 293 ftlb - INTERCEPTOR
2003 Ford Focus, 220 hp @ wheels 180 ftlb torque @ wheels - Traded
Northern Colorado
post #17 of 20 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 2:38 pm

Part of the whole process Murph - part of it all <g>.

Joe - I look forward to when we hook up! I'll stock up some ammo for the occasion. Got a few old monitors and PCs laying around that'll do for targets. That, some post shoot fest brews and grill'n - could be a time

Tate

post #18 of 20 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 2:44 pm

Quote:
Joe - I look forward to when we hook up! I'll stock up some ammo for the occasion. Got a few old monitors and PCs laying around that'll do for targets. That, some post shoot fest brews and grill'n - could be a time
Sounds like a great time to me.
post #19 of 20 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 4:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Regarding the Icom and its channel/frequency assignments: There is a cross-reference list here somewhere -- maybe in the Hall of Wisdom. It shows the "standard" channels assigned by the rest of the world, and compares them to Icom's assignments. I printed it a long time ago and keep it in my tank bag so I can sync up with other FRS/GMRS users.
I printed a copy when I bought an Icom from Raffy. There are two in the File section, posted by him.
http://www.bmwlt.com/files/displayim...album=4&pos=26
http://www.bmwlt.com/files/displayim...album=4&pos=25

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #20 of 20 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 5:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by munson
I printed a copy when I bought an Icom from Raffy. There are two in the File section, posted by him.
http://www.bmwlt.com/files/displayim...album=4&pos=26
http://www.bmwlt.com/files/displayim...album=4&pos=25
Thanks Munsy! I knew these existed, just keep forgetting to look them up and print them out. I'm going to get these laminated and keep them in the tankbag.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in