HELP!!!!! Stranded!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 12:08 pm Thread Starter

HELP!!!!! Stranded!!

My husband, Lynn called and his 02LT won't start and he is 200 miles from home stranded in a national forest. If you have ideas, please call his cell phone.
1. No problems until he got gas and the gas pump did not shut off and overflowed into the engine compartment
2. After letting it dry out the engine would not start for a few moments and then acted flooded.
3. After starting, he drove 30 miles and all was OK.
4. Made a stop and killed engine. It would not start after that. He smells gas, but, tank is full. Has checked kick stand and alarm and reverse switch and checked the fuse for fuel pump.
If you have any ideas, please call him 432-559-2214.
Thanks.

'02 Silver R1150RT

Lynn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 12:16 pm

Overfilling the tank will plug up the emission canister and cause all sorts of problems. I've read about it here, but not have it happen to me...YET. Hopefully somebody will chime in on this, but I think you have to remove the canister and drain it, or let it sit for a long time and let the fuel disperse through the canister.

Major bummer, I hope all is well soon.

2000 K1200LT
1981 Honda CBX ( kind of for sale)
post #3 of 16 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 12:28 pm

Yup, most likely clogged the fuel cannister, which is now causing a vacuum to draw in the tank. Have him pop the gas cap and most likely there will be a whoosh of air going into to it. The cannister is a liability and there are instructions on this site for doing a "cannisterectomy" to disconnect it or remove it. Or he can attempt to locate the vent hose going from the tank to the cannister and disconnect it. I'd probably be tempted to simply leave the gas cap loose, ride home and do the cannisterectomy. You don't want to ride with the cap on tight because the vacuum can literally crush your gas tank.

-joel

post #4 of 16 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 12:42 pm

I just spoke with him and hopefully he will be on the way home very shortly
Rock

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 2:35 pm

Hope it went well - let us know how it turns out, k?

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #6 of 16 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 5:03 pm

I got nosey and called.. Lynn's waiting on his wife who's inbound with truck and trailer to pick him up.. hopefully her cell phone will start working soon.. =\

We spoke a while and he said he recently did the Canisterectomy AND changed the QD''s... I recommended he recheck the "seating" of QD's since he's not sure where the fuel smell is coming from.... exhaust or fuel line.

So, anyone near the NE corner of Texas, near Oklahoma/Arkansas, you might be needed if Lynn's wife can't find him....

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #7 of 16 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 6:24 pm

Mmm, chunky - not in a good way.

Yea, with that bit of ino I'd also suspect either a mis-seated QD or maybe even a cracked one.

Tate

post #8 of 16 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 7:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
Mmm, chunky - not in a good way.

Yea, with that bit of ino I'd also suspect either a mis-seated QD or maybe even a cracked one.

What is QD????

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #9 of 16 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 7:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf
What is QD????
Quick Disconnect?
post #10 of 16 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 9:25 pm Thread Starter

I'm Home!

Rock and CFell

Thanks for phone calls. Just got home. Turns out my directions were good enough and my wife managed the trailer thru the twisties and a friendly biker stopped and helped push the beast inside.

I guess if you are going to be stranded, Ouchita National Forest, Talimena Scenic Drive is the place to be.

A little humor...kind of. When she arrived, i gathered up my jacket, rainsuit mat, water bottles, and other stuff from my "nest" under the trees, I noticed about 4 feet from where my head had been resting on a soft cooler as I was refreshing myself on BMW and Garmin owners manuals, a small coiled up copperhead under a branch. I wonder if he was there the whole 3 1/2 hours as I went back and forth to bike?!?!

Regarding the QD's, I have ridden about 500 miles since I replaced them. Could seating be a problem?

Lynn

'02 Silver R1150RT

Lynn

Last edited by tumbleweed; Jul 15th, 2007 at 9:43 pm.
post #11 of 16 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 9:58 pm

You've got a good attitude and a good wife.

There are people here who can help with the fix better than I can, but I'm glad your home safe.

Joe
2005 BMW K1200LT
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs
post #12 of 16 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 10:35 pm

Glad you're home! I'll wager that snake was there all along and your calm demeanor did not arouse him...in a bad way.. =)

So, let us know what you find out!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #13 of 16 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 11:07 pm Thread Starter

OK...there was one more interesting part of today's adventure. I hesitate to tell it combined with the snake story for fear of starting another GUN thread...lol. At one point I began to doze off as I was waiting and was startled by what sounded like a someone walking thru the leaves behind me. I looked around and saw nothing and forgot about it.

Then later as the guy was helping me load the bike, his wife was surprised to hear I had been out there for several hours and asked if I looked out for the bears. She went on to say they live in the area and bears are all around and pointed out that there was a pile of bear scat in the road close to where we were.

Hmm...my bike problem is still a puzzle...but I now know what bears do in the woods.

'02 Silver R1150RT

Lynn
post #14 of 16 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 11:40 pm

Snakes don't bite. Bears don't attack.
It's a BMW thing.

Hello 07 R1200S
Bye2006 LT
1982 R65
Buy More Warranty!
post #15 of 16 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 1:05 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by info
Buy More Warranty!
Love it.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #16 of 16 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 1:29 am

Copper head?

Bear?

LT stops you from going in someplace?
Dude - buy lotto tickets, NOW!!

Tate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in