Is the rear on the way out AGAIN!? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jul 14th, 2007, 6:40 pm Thread Starter

Is the rear on the way out AGAIN!?

Drained the rear today and magnetic drain plug was coated in minute metallic pericles. Oil is BLACK - this is only 1200 miles from the rear bearing change.
My thinking now is this;
1. The drive chain is damaged.
2. The last bearing wasn't put in right.
3. None of the above - No one cleaned the drain plug of gunk from the last time the bearing got changed.

What's your guess?

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by c00k1e; Jul 14th, 2007 at 7:29 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jul 14th, 2007, 9:14 pm

possibly #3.

Who did the last FD fluid change? Can you find out?

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old Jul 14th, 2007, 9:16 pm

Cookie.. drive chain on the rear drive?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #4 of 14 Old Jul 14th, 2007, 10:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00k1e
Drained the rear today and magnetic drain plug was coated in minute metallic pericles. Oil is BLACK - this is only 1200 miles from the rear bearing change.
My thinking now is this;
1. The drive chain is damaged.
2. The last bearing wasn't put in right.
3. None of the above - No one cleaned the drain plug of gunk from the last time the bearing got changed.

What's your guess?

Well, I'll tell ya this: Any idiot who would change a destroyed Final Drive Bearing and not clean the magnetic drain plug certainly can't be trusted to properly replace the bearing.

When I replaced my drive, I disassembled the old final drive to see what it looked like. Metal everwhere...big pieces, little pieces...metal everywhere. BTW, meticulously cleaning EVERY part of the final drive IS an integral part of doing the job right.

I would clean the plug very well, put in fresh oil and check it within 25-30 miles. See if there is any more metal on it -- maybe even have the oil analyzed. Sorry you're having to deal with this.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 14 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 8:51 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
possibly #3.

Who did the last FD fluid change? Can you find out?
I know who did it - a guy in Switzerland 5 weeks ago when he put a new rear bearing in. But no way of contacting him - he speaks Italian!

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #6 of 14 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 8:53 am Thread Starter

Update

Removed rear brakes to get a good listen to wheel spin.
Good news - no abnormal sound
Bad news - 1/2 to 1cm play when trying to twist wheel.
Should there be any twist at all?

Going to take it for a 30 mile spin and change oil again (if it ever stops raining - dont like breaking down in the rain!)

post #7 of 14 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 10:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00k1e
Removed rear brakes to get a good listen to wheel spin.
Good news - no abnormal sound
Bad news - 1/2 to 1cm play when trying to twist wheel.
Should there be any twist at all?

Going to take it for a 30 mile spin and change oil again (if it ever stops raining - dont like breaking down in the rain!)
A 1/2 to 1 cm is a huge amount of play.

I was thinking yesterday when washing the bike that some scoff at the idea of a good scrubbing, but it sure is a good time to give the road gear a good looksy and shaking.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #8 of 14 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 2:16 pm Thread Starter

2nd opinions doubts there is much movement, if any

drained again after 20 miles - very few particles and oil black again

Will ride it for the week and check again

post #9 of 14 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 5:05 pm

Get out the checkbook .. you've got a busted one, I'm afraid..

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #10 of 14 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 7:40 pm

If it is black already I think you are in trouble. I just replaced the lube in my rear drive after 3,000 miles and it looked as good as when i put it in.

I think if I were you that I would order a new one from BMW. In the states you can get one from Chicago BMW for about $800.

Your luck has been terrible trying to rebuild the one you have. I think I would give up on it. Maybe there is something wrong with the housing or another component that is causing the bearing failure and you'll never be able to rebuild it correctly?????

Good Luck,
Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
post #11 of 14 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 7:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj
A 1/2 to 1 cm is a huge amount of play.

I was thinking yesterday when washing the bike that some scoff at the idea of a good scrubbing, but it sure is a good time to give the road gear a good looksy and shaking.
Amen to that, I asked the question a week ago and got no response. I got mine back from the dealer after a leaking seal, they replaced the bearings and seals. When I got the bike back, it had the same amount of play as when I dropped it off. I took it back yesterday to have the service manager look at it, he agreed it still had play and wants me to bring it back this week. I told him what I have read on this site, that they are hard to shim correctly and the best solution was to replace the whole rear drive with a new one. He agreed, he also commented that the area the bearing mates to sometimes gets slightly egg shaped. I presumed that there was a corresponding race, but am ignorant as I've never been into one.
post #12 of 14 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 4:44 am Thread Starter

alanforn I wish UK service managers were the same. The ones I have talked to seem to be quoting from the same book "rear end failiers are as rare as rrocking hourse carp". They totally refuse to see how it could be anything more than pure bad luck - not installation problems.
I am still within warentee on the part, but I bet they will only change the part and maybe not till it collapses again - I don't want to be out on the road when that happens!!
If anyone can put a technical argument together to help my case I would be extreamly greatful - they know I can't prove anything at this stage.
Thanks all for your comments.

post #13 of 14 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 12:24 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Just a Thought

If the FD oil is draining black after only 30 miles, that doesn't sound good to me. Try draining and refilling with a flushing grade of oil, then with the bike SECURELY on the center stand run it and work your way up to 3rd or 4th gear just at idle rpms. DO NOT RIDE it with this oil in the FD. Maybe repeat again and then send a couple of correct weight oil fills through. When you get a good clean sample of oil drain then try a short ride to check out the colour. Seems a lot of changes but it's only a small amount each time. At least then you will know if it's residue from the failure or the same happening again. ONCE AGAIN, RUNNING A BIKE IN GEAR ON THE CENTER STAND IS NOT RECOMMENDED, BUT WITH DUE CARE SHOULD BE OK. Can you use a lift that will allow you to lock the front wheel in a vise ?

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #14 of 14 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 4:17 am Thread Starter

Good idea about the center stand. I will put it on the bike lift and lock the frount wheel as suggested.
What grade oil is good foir flushing?
How long should I leave it in 4th?
Cheers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in