weekend getaway - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jul 14th, 2007, 4:14 pm Thread Starter

weekend getaway

Hello and thanks to all in advance.

Wedding Anniv. coming up this weekend and I,d like to take the wife to Kentucky or W. Virginia, and I might entertain Tn.

I have a Short riding day Friday so I need reasonable milage from Cleveland OH.

IE: places to stay, see, eat,and do On Saturday. (of course great roads too)
I would like to travel Friday stay Sat, and leave Sunday.

Thanks Quohog

Quohog

Tomorrow is promised to no one!
1993 Honda CBR1000F
2001 K1200LTC (sold)
2004 K1200LT (replaced 01)
2005 Yamaha Road Star (gone)
2009 Harley Road King Classic
2009 Harley Ultra Classic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jul 14th, 2007, 5:05 pm

WV roads

Paul - I've traveled the Rt. 33 up thru Seneca Rocks in WV and it's a great ride.
post #3 of 3 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 1:05 am

Garage
Smile Ride to WV

I was also going to recommend Senaca Rocks. Before moving to Texas in 1999, I lived in Petersburg, WV and miss the riding in that part of the world. From Senaca, take 33 south and east to 220, north on 220 to the point it makes a hard right to cross the South Branch of the Potomac--take a left (really more straight) to Eagle Rock and Smoke Hole. We rode down there one warm winter Sunday and stoped in wonder to watch and eagle soar higher and higher up the canyon wall. You may just want to go to the end of the pavement, but it is a beautiful side trip. Back to 220 toward Petersburg, just as you come into Peterburg and before you come to the road to the airport to the left and cross the river, take the paved road to the right. Follow it to a trout hatchery were you may walk around as you wish. Just beyond the hatchery (about 100 yards) at the end of the pavement is a beautiful secluded waterfall; follow the path at the point the road makes a right to cross the stream. The road up the mountain past the waterfall has beautiful views but is dirt. From Petersburg you could go up to Dolly Sods and Bear Rocks--inquire locally or get a detailed map. The road through Dolly Sods is dirt, but a pretty good dirt road.

From Petersburg any route up into Western Maryland is a great one. From their I recommend going through Somerset County Pennsylvania--covered bridges (find a brochure or a Delorme), Amish with small country stores, etc. Mt. Davis, Pa's high point, is in southwestern Somerset County and has a tower to climb and a small park. From there you could swing by Ohiopyle to see the falls. Great country, try the back roads. Meyersdale Viaduct (former Western Maryland RR steel trestle across a broad valley, now a bike trail) on the edge of Meyersdale is worth a visit. Try the back roads, stop at Amish stores for bake goods. Great country, not packed with tourists (except maybe for Ohiopyle). We'll be visiting Somerset County in August, but will flying up and go there in a rental cage.

Have a great trip.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in