pillion buffeting - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 2:41 pm Thread Starter

pillion buffeting

Hi there, I was wondering if you guys could help. My partner is getting a very bad buffeting on the Lt .We have tried the screen in every position but nothing changes. The bike is a 2000 model with standard screen, Iam six foot tall and partner 5ft 7ins,the wind comes past me and hits me in the middle of my back and tries to push me forward,so does anyone know how redirect the airflow?
Thanks Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 14th, 2007, 3:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovis
My partner is getting a very bad buffeting on the Lt .We have tried the screen in every position but nothing changes.
Ahhh. 'Er indoors had the same complaint. So much so that she refused to get on the bike until it was sorted. She also had a lot of noise from the helmet.

THE CURE

Replaced the helmet she had with a BMW Sportintegral. Not only did it sort the buffetting, the intercom became more useable at speed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6378_1.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	13116  

Just pussin' through.
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 4:28 pm

Quote:
Hi there, I was wondering if you guys could help. My partner is getting a very bad buffeting on the Lt .We have tried the screen in every position but nothing changes. The bike is a 2000 model with standard screen, Iam six foot tall and partner 5ft 7ins,the wind comes past me and hits me in the middle of my back and tries to push me forward,so does anyone know how redirect the airflow?
Thanks Dave
I solved that issue with a Cee Bailey #2 -2. I am 5'11" and my pillion is 5'9"

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old Jul 14th, 2007, 7:41 pm

Not sure what windshield you have on your bike but I have the 17" euro style. If I raise the windshield up to the maximum height I get the same push from behind. Maybe your windshield is too high. As the previous poster mentioned that he has a -2 Cee Bailey. The is 2" shorter than standard height. Maybe your windshield it too tall.

'Big B"
BMWMOA #127497
1999 K1200LTI "Canyon Red"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old Jul 14th, 2007, 8:52 pm

Quote:
Thanks Dave
I have tried the US standard, a Bikescreens Euro cut, a CB with wings, and the last and best one for me and my Sweetpea is the V-Stream The wide top really forces the air flow farther out to the sides. It is very clear, so I can raise it up and look through it without getting dizzy, unlike with the CB. I can peer over the top of it if the weather is perfect, too, unlike the standard. Every model has it's champs, so take all of the advice with a grain of salt.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 9:20 pm

It sounds like you have some back pressure, too. This is from lifting the windshield. There is the Parabellum windshield with ports in it. You push the port open and it alleviates the back pressure.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 9:51 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
What everyone else said. The stock LT windshield isn't the best design, and things can be greatly improved with an aftermarket shield.

I'm 6' and my wife is 5' 8". I tried stock tall, Euro cut, Laminar Lip, Aeroflow, and finally Cee Bailey #2 -2". A few of those worked fine solo, but the CB shield was the only one where my wife saw a noticeable improvement. We still needed it fully up at anything above 70 mph, but she was sitting in a fairly quiet pocket of air even at speed.

Your best option is if you can find some friends with different windscreens and try them out. That isn't always easy, but it sure beats buying them all just to try out.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 10:28 pm

You guys are huge!

I am 5'10" and my wife is 5'2" we don't have any of this with a stock shield.
I am of German decent...
Maybe the bike is made for me?

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 5:52 pm

laminar Lip

did the trick for me and the mrs.
laminarlip.com
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 7:11 pm
cws

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajlelectronics
THE CURE
Replaced the helmet she had with a BMW Sportintegral. Not only did it sort the buffeting, the intercom became more useable at speed.
Same for my partner. She started getting neck problems from the buffeting with her HJC helmet, bought a Sportintegral on sale and the lighter weight and reduced noise made all the difference for her. I'll probably get one myself when the wallet fills again.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Old Jul 17th, 2007, 2:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
Same for my partner. She started getting neck problems from the buffeting with her HJC helmet, bought a Sportintegral on sale and the lighter weight and reduced noise made all the difference for her. I'll probably get one myself when the wallet fills again.
I was informed that I had to, as matching helmets (colour wise) were an important matter.

Just pussin' through.
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 12:58 pm

Pillion Buffeting

FWIW, my bride has been dealing with the buffeting now for almost two years. We had the tall BMW Standard and tried a CE Bailey #2 +2 with wings. She got no relief. I should mention that my bride is 5'10".

At the MOA rally we tried a V Stream shield and she loved it. No more buffeting. We bought it and shipped the old one home as a backup.

It is not the windscreen I would buy for myself if I were riding solo, but it is a good compromise. Bride is happy and so am I.

Ultra LT
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 1:03 pm

Cee Bailey #2-3 with wings
No buffeting for karen with windscreen up about 1" and me looking over the top........
( 5'-11" and 32" inseam)
I always have the side wings out as the air gets crazy with them folded back...

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in