Hello New 1200 LT Owner/Almost - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jul 14th, 2007, 11:30 am Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Hello New 1200 LT Owner/Almost

Hello all just wanted to post up and get that first one out of the way.

First I live in Harrisburg PA. Second I am coming off a 2005 Harley Road Glide FLTRI Black Pearl to the LT. I say almost as the deed is not done yet but the bike is being brought into TransAm in Lancaster PA, 2007 LT in Blue. I still need to ride and see it. Velocity, well I read that thread after tying them and then TranAM, and the people in that thread are dead nuts on. Charlie is nothing but a strait shooter and I can only hope his Techs are a reflection of him.

Cruising the forum and have spent more hours then I thought I could reading, it appears there are some issues and many comparisons between a Harley and a BMW. Before I get kicked out on my first post, let me splain.

First looks like the Boggy Men on a BMW is the Rear Drive and Hydraulic Clutch leak taking out the clutch.

Harley Crank Bearing failure taking out the entire lower and most likely the top end with it. And of course crank run out from our flywheels shifting is a big issue if you go to gear drive, as chain drive is way more forgiving. And with not going to gears we have cam chain tensioner that like to wear in extremely weird ways and can grenade the oil pump, scoring the cam plate and if oil starved take the top end.

So since I have torn a Harley down many times I can say that IF the RD and Clutch is the worse that can happen then it is really a BIG plus. Let me splain again.

I would have to take our ENTIRE motor apart to get to the crank and crank bearing, then we must short block it out to somewhere to have the Timkin conversion done which is boring the left side case, and at that time make a decision to stroke it or go stock again which is cheapest, then have the crank pinned and welded and then trued and balanced, have them set end play and then we get it back to put the rest together.

SO a new RD from Chicago is 768 or something cant remember and then your labor, wow if that is all BMW riders need to worry about it is not a big deal. Although I wonder if the planets aligned wrong, the RD failure could kill you for sure, while the Clutch also has that potential, I feel I have enough miles to respond to that condition. Is that the Major ailments to look for?

Have the improved on the 07's? I know bearing seemed to change from my pre reading, but was that the true issue?

Now that said I am first a little concerned that I cant seem to find a PAPER FM anywhere? Just a DVD. I mean I am a Network Admin so I am not intimidated by a computer but greasy pawing my laptop is just not too cool with me. And from that I am wondering if you can in fact service and maintain these bikes as a mid level wrench? And how hard is the Body parts on and off? And also I see NO mention of performance enhancements as in a Harley STAGE I, air cleaner/breather, a muffler, and maybe a tunning device. I am not looking to ported heads and bored cylinder but are there tweaks?

So I already have ordered an AC plug, mirror tethers, and a K&N filter, and have questions in on the Group Buy HID conversions for HI/LOW. Striped my 1 month old Moto Lights this am from the Road Glide have the new bolts and Harness from Moto Light already, they are fast. Pretty much decided I need floor boards and will get them from the site sponsors vendor a set, front/rear deal he offers. Also JPegs(?) as I need to move positions while riding. Also will order one of the fuse blocks as soon as I know what I need. These are my basic up front needs, I THINK? Oh Yeah RIDE it

Short term I am sure seat and windshield will need done but will ride it for a bit to be sure on these very subjective but common to all badge problems. I have a True View Shield and a Mustang tourer with Back rest.

I am a bit confused on backrest offerings/installation but will get it sorted out. It appears you can just install it on a factory seat with not too much trouble.

So sorry so long but I am pretty committed and am not suffering any pre buyer remorse, but want to make sure I am going in eyes wide open. So any thoughts and comments and help you can give me would be great.

Than you....................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jul 14th, 2007, 12:24 pm

I know that someone on here has discovered that the slave cylinders have been redesigned (outer housing) and beefed up along one end. Supposedly the FD failures have been addressed in the later models.
I do believe that the 2007 will have factory HID lighting (one less mod to do). A K&N filter won't really add performance but will cut costs, $28 for a factory paper element or $48 (on line order from Auto Zone) for the K&N which is used over and over.
There is the Remus exhaust system and for all out power/performance there is a turbocharger too.
There are several options for windshields, the most populat being Cee Bailey. Also there are many choices for saddles/covers, with and without heaters.
As far as working on your bike...you may have to let the dealer do the scheduled maintenance because of warrenty concerns. Other than that, sure, you can do your own. The body panels will seem daunting at first, but once you figure out how it all fits together you can strip it down in about an hour or less.
One upgrade that is a must are the quick disconnects (QD's) for the fuel lines...get metal ones. The plastic QD's are going to break sooner or later, best to beat them to the punch.
Have fun with the new bike, I'm sure you'll love it. For a real thrill take it up around the Williamsport area on the back roads and down along the river, nice and twisty.
post #3 of 14 Old Jul 14th, 2007, 12:54 pm

2006 LT for Sale 1,100 miles

Don't know if your still looking but I am selling mu 2006 LT with 1,100 miles. It does have J pegs, intercom and a CB. Fully covered by BMW until Aug.2009 The color is blue and there is not a mark on it. Heath problems force this sale.
Call me if your interested
Don 518-532-9735
Thanks

post #4 of 14 Old Jul 14th, 2007, 2:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

First I live in Harrisburg PA. Second I am coming off a 2005 Harley Road Glide FLTRI Black Pearl to the LT. I say almost as the deed is not done yet but the bike is being brought into TransAm in Lancaster PA, 2007 LT in Blue. I still need to ride and see it. Velocity, well I read that thread after tying them and then TranAM, and the people in that thread are dead nuts on. Charlie is nothing but a strait shooter and I can only hope his Techs are a reflection of him.

I'm a few miles north of you in Lawrenceville, PA and just bought a 2007 LT (Gray color) and just about to roll over 800 miles.

First looks like the Boggy Men on a BMW is the Rear Drive and Hydraulic Clutch leak taking out the clutch.

I've heard these issues may have been addressed by the 2007 model year, but time will tell.

Now that said I am first a little concerned that I cant seem to find a PAPER FM anywhere? Just a DVD. I mean I am a Network Admin so I am not intimidated by a computer but greasy pawing my laptop is just not too cool with me. And from that I am wondering if you can in fact service and maintain these bikes as a mid level wrench? And how hard is the Body parts on and off? And also I see NO mention of performance enhancements as in a Harley STAGE I, air cleaner/breather, a muffler, and maybe a tunning device. I am not looking to ported heads and bored cylinder but are there tweaks?

I was also able only to find a CD. I got the dealer to include that as part of the deal since they weren't willing to negotiate elsewhere. I also much prefer a print manual, but figure I'll get a three-ring binder and print pages as I need them and then organize them in a binder for future use. The CD isn't the easiest thing to navigate either, but it'll get the job done. The main thing is that it includes the service required at each service interval. This is normally included in the owner's manual, but not with BMW. The maintenance manual tells how to change light bulbs and remove the wheels, but doesn't even provide a table of required maintenance. And BMW and my dealer are pretty intense about having the maintenance done only at the dealership, but since my dealer is 2 hours ride way, I plan to do oil and filter, changes and other simple stuff as I've always done for all of my vehicles.

So I already have ordered an AC plug, mirror tethers, and a K&N filter, and have questions in on the Group Buy HID conversions for HI/LOW. Striped my 1 month old Moto Lights this am from the Road Glide have the new bolts and Harness from Moto Light already, they are fast. Pretty much decided I need floor boards and will get them from the site sponsors vendor a set, front/rear deal he offers. Also JPegs(?) as I need to move positions while riding. Also will order one of the fuse blocks as soon as I know what I need. These are my basic up front needs, I THINK? Oh Yeah RIDE it

My 07 came with tethers on the mirrors. I think they are standard now, but maybe the dealer added them. I wouldn't use a K&N filter having seen a few tests on them, but I know some folks like them. I only had to change the filter on my Voyager once in 46,000 miles and my cars routinely go 50,000 on a filter so I don't mind using the paper filters that have a higher efficiency, especially for finer dirt.

So sorry so long but I am pretty committed and am not suffering any pre buyer remorse, but want to make sure I am going in eyes wide open. So any thoughts and comments and help you can give me would be great.

I'm too new obviously to offer much advice. I have a few minor complaints with the BMW, mainly little things like virtually no small item storage space (my Voyager had 4 storage compartments in addition to the bags and trunk), a too cramped seat location (can't slide backwards enough), apparently no way to rotate the levers on the bars as the bar covers appear to pretty much lock them in position and they are too low for me, no paper service manual, the need for special tools for EVERYTHING (including the oil filter!), etc.

I'm pretty happy so far and the handling, ride and braking of the bike are far better than my Voyager. The LT is like it is on rails in the corners and mid-corner bumps don't upset the chassis in the slightest. My VOyager would weave like a drunken sailor if I hit a big bump while in a high-speed sweeper. It was very disconcerting. I also like the para/tele-lever suspension. Virtually no jacking on acceleration or dive on braking. Very nice!

Have fun with your new ride!

Voyager
post #5 of 14 Old Jul 14th, 2007, 2:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Sorry about the format of my last post. I'm fairly new to this group and didn't realize that the quote feature doesn't use ">" in front of each quoted line as with usenet and Seamonkey. I'd not have done the interspersed comments if I'd known that your original text wasn't set off with ">" or such in front.

Voyager
post #6 of 14 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 8:06 am Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morley
I know that someone on here has discovered that the slave cylinders have been redesigned (outer housing) and beefed up along one end. Supposedly the FD failures have been addressed in the later models.
I do believe that the 2007 will have factory HID lighting (one less mod to do). A K&N filter won't really add performance but will cut costs, $28 for a factory paper element or $48 (on line order from Auto Zone) for the K&N which is used over and over.
There is the Remus exhaust system and for all out power/performance there is a turbocharger too.
There are several options for windshields, the most populat being Cee Bailey. Also there are many choices for saddles/covers, with and without heaters.
As far as working on your bike...you may have to let the dealer do the scheduled maintenance because of warrenty concerns. Other than that, sure, you can do your own. The body panels will seem daunting at first, but once you figure out how it all fits together you can strip it down in about an hour or less.
One upgrade that is a must are the quick disconnects (QD's) for the fuel lines...get metal ones. The plastic QD's are going to break sooner or later, best to beat them to the punch.
Have fun with the new bike, I'm sure you'll love it. For a real thrill take it up around the Williamsport area on the back roads and down along the river, nice and twisty.
Thank you for the reply.

The K&N is just for GP as I run them in every vehicle I have.

Can anyone confirm HID on the 07?

Any links to the Quick Disconnects in metal? I use a braided on my RG.

Thank you,
Lee
post #7 of 14 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 8:08 am Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoss1lt
Don't know if your still looking but I am selling mu 2006 LT with 1,100 miles. It does have J pegs, intercom and a CB. Fully covered by BMW until Aug.2009 The color is blue and there is not a mark on it. Heath problems force this sale.
Call me if your interested
Don 518-532-9735
Thanks
Sorry I need to honor the deal I started, if I had only known. What are you asking?

Lee
post #8 of 14 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 8:24 am Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
I'm a few miles north of you in Lawrenceville, PA and just bought a 2007 LT (Gray color) and just about to roll over 800 miles.

I've heard these issues may have been addressed by the 2007 model year, but time will tell.

I was also able only to find a CD. I got the dealer to include that as part of the deal since they weren't willing to negotiate elsewhere. I also much prefer a print manual, but figure I'll get a three-ring binder and print pages as I need them and then organize them in a binder for future use. The CD isn't the easiest thing to navigate either, but it'll get the job done. The main thing is that it includes the service required at each service interval. This is normally included in the owner's manual, but not with BMW. The maintenance manual tells how to change light bulbs and remove the wheels, but doesn't even provide a table of required maintenance. And BMW and my dealer are pretty intense about having the maintenance done only at the dealership, but since my dealer is 2 hours ride way, I plan to do oil and filter, changes and other simple stuff as I've always done for all of my vehicles.

My 07 came with tethers on the mirrors. I think they are standard now, but maybe the dealer added them. I wouldn't use a K&N filter having seen a few tests on them, but I know some folks like them. I only had to change the filter on my Voyager once in 46,000 miles and my cars routinely go 50,000 on a filter so I don't mind using the paper filters that have a higher efficiency, especially for finer dirt.

I'm too new obviously to offer much advice. I have a few minor complaints with the BMW, mainly little things like virtually no small item storage space (my Voyager had 4 storage compartments in addition to the bags and trunk), a too cramped seat location (can't slide backwards enough), apparently no way to rotate the levers on the bars as the bar covers appear to pretty much lock them in position and they are too low for me, no paper service manual, the need for special tools for EVERYTHING (including the oil filter!), etc.

I'm pretty happy so far and the handling, ride and braking of the bike are far better than my Voyager. The LT is like it is on rails in the corners and mid-corner bumps don't upset the chassis in the slightest. My VOyager would weave like a drunken sailor if I hit a big bump while in a high-speed sweeper. It was very disconcerting. I also like the para/tele-lever suspension. Virtually no jacking on acceleration or dive on braking. Very nice!

Have fun with your new ride!

Voyager
Thank you for the reply and is important from someone who has also recently made the switch. That input is very valuable to me at this point.

Good info on the cornering ability's. The Road Glide suffers this in spades and is one of the reasons I want off it.

With my glove boxes on my RG I will need to find a solution to small storage in riders reach, glasses and stuff, being old sucks

I guess on the FM I will fire up one of our copiers at work and send the thing to the 5000 sheet tray and forget about it, using 3 hole paper of course.

I would think the 600 and 12,000 would be the ones the dealer "needs" and even those if you documented your work could not cause a warranty issue legally. I will have them service those but the others I would prefer to do.

Something about bonding with your bike, and knowing it is done right is what I like about my own service. I will have to see what they say and how flexible they are.

Tools well what can I say, behind the bike, they are the 2nd worse addiction

Thank you,
Lee
post #9 of 14 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 8:45 am

Couple of things I would point out..

For highway pegs, many have recommended the mick-o-pegs over the jpegs.. I will probably be ordering them myself. The rear drive issues have really become less an issue starting with model year '03. For '02 and after, the brakes were updated to link servo abs... Performance enhancements, narrower seat, power center stand, changed geometry and different instruments at '05 for better performance, slow speed handling, and reaching the ground.

Performance upgrades: pipes, performance chip. Haven't heard about anything else.

For HID lights, Xenon is offered in '07. But, I wouldn't be that concerned because of the HID kit group buy the price is so low for the mod to any previous model that is a no issue. We just installed them on my '03. Contact fashtec. It is 75.00 each setup and more then well worth it....

From what I can see, the best of all worlds seems to be the '05 and beyond. But, I have heard some issues about failure of the power center stand..

My '03 has virtually been trouble free for 25K over 2 years. Love it !! Ride it!!!

Welcome to the forum.

You should notice a totally different power curve, better mileage..

Good luck.
post #10 of 14 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 11:05 am

Smile Welcome, neighbor!

Howdy, LAF

I commute from Carlisle to the H-D plant in York. I'm also one of the Velocity customers whose posts on that subject you've probably read.

If you want to talk Harleys or LT's, shoot me a PM and we can get together. I'm about to tear into my LT to replace the clutch and the rear engine seal that likely led to its demise (plus replacing the slave cylinder, drilling the slave housing, the canisterectomy, replacing all seals & filters, and throttle upgrade) - if you want to do some wrenching with me to get familiar with the innards, I'll be all about that in the near future. I've gotten pretty good at the Tupperware party, can get 'er nekkid in just a few minutes.

I have installed HID hi & low (from hidonline.ca) and am extremely satisfied with it. I also have some other farkles & add-ons (like my Cee Baileys #2-4 windshield and Blue Sea fuse box) you can take a look at.

I have a paper manual (printed and bound in a binder) from the PO, but no electronic copy. Would be nice to have the DVD. I highly recommend the Clymer manual, and the Sayegh videos are on my wish list.

Just met a guy down the street who used to be a BMW mechanic, and now does sidecar & trike conversions for many local dealers of various makes. He offered to help out with wrenching & has his own shop, so maybe we can go check him out together.

Dave

Dave

'03 K1200LT-C Dark Graphite
'96 Triumph Sprint 900 British Racing Green (traded)
'95 Yamaha Virago 750 Pearl/Black (sold)
post #11 of 14 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 5:52 pm Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Absolutely OUTSTANDING. I need to go slow but I want everything I see now. I want new Wilbur's, I want a chip, I want a new muffler, New shield, new seat, floor boards, and on and on.

Seriously would just love to see mine naked and become familiar with fluid areas and changing, and maintenance stuff. I would love to see and "help" with anything you have planned.

Just spoke to the Trans Am today and they fetched my bike today.

I almost backed out but Charlie said we can work on the services. In other words as long as I let him see the bike at 600 miles and then 12,000 we are good. He has a different approach on service and warranty. His bottom line is if it breaks within the warranty period, he is going to fix it, period. That made me stay the course. I personally find 6000 mile oil changes way to much and will go 3000 max. Oil is cheap. Not sure I even like 600 for break in, usually on a new build we blow it in 50 and then 500. I guess I am too fussy.

Please let me know and I would greatly appreciate seeing you work, and have you help me in my formative months of new LT ownership

Thanks for the hand up...........

Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweintechnik
Howdy, LAF

I commute from Carlisle to the H-D plant in York. I'm also one of the Velocity customers whose posts on that subject you've probably read.

If you want to talk Harleys or LT's, shoot me a PM and we can get together. I'm about to tear into my LT to replace the clutch and the rear engine seal that likely led to its demise (plus replacing the slave cylinder, drilling the slave housing, the canisterectomy, replacing all seals & filters, and throttle upgrade) - if you want to do some wrenching with me to get familiar with the innards, I'll be all about that in the near future. I've gotten pretty good at the Tupperware party, can get 'er nekkid in just a few minutes.

I have installed HID hi & low (from hidonline.ca) and am extremely satisfied with it. I also have some other farkles & add-ons (like my Cee Baileys #2-4 windshield and Blue Sea fuse box) you can take a look at.

I have a paper manual (printed and bound in a binder) from the PO, but no electronic copy. Would be nice to have the DVD. I highly recommend the Clymer manual, and the Sayegh videos are on my wish list.

Just met a guy down the street who used to be a BMW mechanic, and now does sidecar & trike conversions for many local dealers of various makes. He offered to help out with wrenching & has his own shop, so maybe we can go check him out together.

Dave
post #12 of 14 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 9:47 pm

Harley to LT

Hey Lee, I just made the opposite purchase at TransAm last September. I traded my 2000 LT on a 2003 Heritage Softail Classic. The Harley was traded in on a new K1200S. I only live about 2 miles from Transom. They are a good group of people to deal with.
I have to say if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't have traded the LT on anything except another LT. You will love the bike, trust me. My only reason for trading was to have a lower bike for riding 2 up. I dropped the LT once at a stop sign with my SO on the back. After we got home from that trip, she would not get back on. It was a challenge some times at stops on uneven pavement. But the more I road it the more comfortable I felt. But we enjoyed riding together so the Harley seemed the best alternative.
The LT is a great all weather bike with the heated seats, grips, windshield and fairing. It sounds like you have a lot of mods planned but just ride the bike and enjoy it, you'll find it doesn't need much of anything to improve it.
My goal now is to ride an 05 or newer to see if the bike sits any lower and handles a little better at low speeds.

Good luck with the LT and dealing with TransAm. You won't have any complaints, just a lot of smiles.

Steve

2006 R1200RT
post #13 of 14 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 10:48 pm Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for the reply and attesting that what I am feeling about Trans Am is correct and not clouded buy the sight of that total different bike.

As I coming off the Road Glide I hope my transition is a little bit easier as with even the pizza box on it is a bit top heavy and has about the same weight as the LT.

I have ridden many bikes in my life but never a BMW for any length of time so I have really no expectations on the LT.

Little bit worried on brakes as the HD even with floaters and Lyndell pads still will not haul you down like these Brembos from what I am told (warned) and then ABS on top of that.

Would be nice to get the call tomorrow, rain or shine, I will ride for it, and bring it home.

Sorry you had to give yours up, but time with you mate is what you needed to keep it something you both enjoy, you made a good choice.

I think they cut the seat in and lowered it a bit. I don't know, I only sat 1 07 BMW LT, never another year.

Again tanks on the reply

This should be a real blast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisin92
Hey Lee, I just made the opposite purchase at TransAm last September. I traded my 2000 LT on a 2003 Heritage Softail Classic. The Harley was traded in on a new K1200S. I only live about 2 miles from Transom. They are a good group of people to deal with.
I have to say if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't have traded the LT on anything except another LT. You will love the bike, trust me. My only reason for trading was to have a lower bike for riding 2 up. I dropped the LT once at a stop sign with my SO on the back. After we got home from that trip, she would not get back on. It was a challenge some times at stops on uneven pavement. But the more I road it the more comfortable I felt. But we enjoyed riding together so the Harley seemed the best alternative.
The LT is a great all weather bike with the heated seats, grips, windshield and fairing. It sounds like you have a lot of mods planned but just ride the bike and enjoy it, you'll find it doesn't need much of anything to improve it.
My goal now is to ride an 05 or newer to see if the bike sits any lower and handles a little better at low speeds.

Good luck with the LT and dealing with TransAm. You won't have any complaints, just a lot of smiles.

Steve
post #14 of 14 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 7:25 am

Have you ridden an LT yet? I don't think you are going to need any performance improvements. The stock LT will blow the Harleys in the weeds, and you would probably need a stage 10 kit on the Harley to keep up, and then only if the road is straight. A little slower off the line, but will pass the Harley in second gear, if not first. Just be aware that your shifting habits will have to change! The Fat Lady loves to sing! After the break in, play in the high RPM ranges a lot to get used to it. The LT loves 4,000-8,000, and is still pulling STRONG when the rev limiter kicks in around 8,000. Fist time that happens you will think you broke it.

You will have no problems wrenching the LT. Once you get the service manual and the couple different tools, it is no harder than the Harley for most items. And you are right, the FD is not such a big issue, as it can be swapped out in less than 2 hours. I replaced the drive belt and transmisson output sprocket on my son in law's softtail, that was MUCH worse! Drilling the drain hole in front of the slave cylinder should be the first big item you take care of when convenient. That will save you from clutch replacement if the slave cylinder or rear tranny input shaft seal fail.

Clutch replacement is definitely much more work on the LT than on the Harley, as the swing arm and transmission have to be removed.

Engine work is not bad on the LT, everything is out where you can get to it. I actually replaced pistons on my LT, engine stayed in the bike. Even the crankshaft was removed, engine and tranny still in the bike. See picture.

I printed out the shop manual, no big deal at all. Advantage of the CD is you can take it with you on a long trip. If you have any problems on the trip there will usually be someone around with a computer, nice to have the information handy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crank Out.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	13167  

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in