Riding in Arkansas - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 11:09 pm Thread Starter

Riding in Arkansas

The wife and I are currently camped at the MOA rally and plan to leave here for a week or two in Arkansas to ride the Ozarks. We will be camped near Mena and will roam from there. I saw another post suggesting routes 12 and 23 should be on our list. I've spotted 23 on the map and it is one we already were eyeing but I'm not seeing 12. Can anyone tell me where to look and suggest other routes or other sites we should include?

Many thanks!

Jim
'06LT - Magnesium Black Graphite (light black)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 11:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by javandyke
The wife and I are currently camped at the MOA rally and plan to leave here for a week or two in Arkansas to ride the Ozarks. We will be camped near Mena and will roam from there. I saw another post suggesting routes 12 and 23 should be on our list. I've spotted 23 on the map and it is one we already were eyeing but I'm not seeing 12. Can anyone tell me where to look and suggest other routes or other sites we should include?

Many thanks!
Jim - 12 runs east/west and goes thru Rogers. Tees into 23 at the east end, and 43 at the west (or changes into OK 116). Have way much fun in Nawthurn AR - some truly great roads up there.
post #3 of 12 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 11:18 pm

Talimena Drive

You should definately treat yourself to the Talimena Drive. Mena is at the Ark end of it and it goes into Oklahoma. It's a great run across the mountains..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #4 of 12 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 11:27 pm

The Arkansas visitor centers have a pamphlet with motorcycle touring routes. While in Arkansas a must do is "Company Coming Pie" at: http://www.mcrush.com/cliffhouse/
It's on Highway 7 near Jasper. If you are riding in Arkansas you will ride highway 7.
post #5 of 12 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 11:49 pm

Try this link, your in the right spot of the state for best riding.

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/
post #6 of 12 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 11:49 pm
post #7 of 12 Old Jul 14th, 2007, 6:39 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
You should definately treat yourself to the Talimena Drive. Mena is at the Ark end of it and it goes into Oklahoma. It's a great run across the mountains..

John
try to plan this ride so you can have lunch at The Queen Wilhelmina Lodge. For Mena it's only about 10 or 12 miles . Great food and wonderful views

www.queenwilhelmina.com

Stevie Shreeve
post #8 of 12 Old Jul 14th, 2007, 8:31 am

Jim,

I just rode through that part of AR last weekend - it was great!

My route was something like this (picking up in Rogers and heading east):
  • East on 12 to 127
  • South on 127 through Huntsville to 74
  • East on 74 to Kingston & 21
  • East on 21 to Boxley to 43
  • North on 43 to 74
  • East on 74 to 7
  • South on 7 to 16
  • East on 16 to Fayetteville
Once I was 10-12 miles east of Rogers on 12, I saw very little traffic until I starting get close to Fayetteville - obviously there would be a few cars in some of the small towns, but the roads were open.

The back roads (74, 21, 43) were a blast - almost to many twisties, etc! You do need to be careful and watch for deer (I saw 5-6).

The roads them selves were well maintained but had no shoulder most of the time.

Like others have said, don't miss Talimena Drive and lunch at the Inn is a good way to take a breather and take in some good views.

Let us know how it goes!
post #9 of 12 Old Jul 14th, 2007, 10:45 am Thread Starter

Thanks!

You folks are the greatest! I don't know why I didn't take advantage of this expertise until now. We specifically chose the Mena area to do the Telamena and visit Queen Willamena (sp?). We will be there a good while and hope to try all these great suggestions.

The MOA, our first, has been a great experience. We've never seen so many BMW motorcycles (and tents!) in one place before. We'll be leaving early tomorrow for points South ending in Mena. I'll check in here later tonight.

Thanks again.

Jim

post #10 of 12 Old Jul 14th, 2007, 11:02 am

If you happen to go as far north on 23 as Eureka Springs, be sure to pay a farkle visit to the new Cycle Gadgets store. They are located next door to the KOA campground on 187 out by Beaver Dam. The wife and I rode Shawn's route last weekend also and stopped at the Ozark Cafe in Jasper for lunch.

Enjoy your ride!

Ron

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #11 of 12 Old Jul 14th, 2007, 11:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellenbenz
If you happen to go as far north on 23 as Eureka Springs, be sure to pay a farkle visit to the new Cycle Gadgets store. They are located next door to the KOA campground on 187 out by Beaver Dam. The wife and I rode Shawn's route last weekend also and stopped at the Ozark Cafe in Jasper for lunch.

Enjoy your ride!

Ron
Are you kidding? I wish I had known that - would have loved to have met you in Jasper. I actually rode it on Thursday (it was a long weekend ) ...
post #12 of 12 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 5:20 pm Thread Starter

WOW! We've been in Arkansas for a little over two weeks and ridden about 2,000 miles of very nice roads. Weve been on every suggested route and even had lunch at the Cliff House Inn. We camped near Mena for a week and rode the roads south and east of there. We rode the Talamena Scenic byway (twice) and visited Queen Wilhelmina State Park and rode the tiny train. The Quachita Mountains provided some very interesting and scenic rides. We liked route 7 from Hot Springs North to Ola and back to Mena via the back roads.

We then moved to Russellville for a few days for the central area roads. We found some of our favorites here, particularly a loop we took north on 27, back across 16 and down 123. Our final move took us to Eureka Springs where we ended up with several hundred Hells Angels for the weekend. Our favorite here was down route 23, across 74 back to Jasper, south on 7 to 16 and back to 23. Route 12 out of Rogers was great, but short.

All in all weve had a super time and have voted route 16 our favorite Arkansas road. What makes it special is that it runs for many miles along a ridge and is usually at or above 2000 feet with some great views and the twisties and sweepers are wonderful. Im sure we only touched the tip of the proverbial iceberg here but we had a great time and would recommend Western Arkansas to anyone. So many roads, so little time.

Thanks to all who provided suggestions and tips.

Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in