Best road?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 8:56 pm Thread Starter

Best road??

What is the best road to ride in the eastern US -- by best I mean 2 lane road with a ton of curves and senic -- maybe something in the blue ridge mts?? i have a week to spend out there and want to enjoy the new LT.

Thanks for your imput
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 9:02 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Probably the Blue Ridge Parkway is the best from a purely road standpoint, but the amount of slow traffic now makes it a less than fun ride so I hear. I like route 287 in north central PA. A nice road and fairly lightly traveled for the most part.

Voyager
post #3 of 22 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 9:20 pm

Dragon took 15

The Dragon in East TN just claimed another victim this week. He was visiting from MI. This makes 15 for the first 6 1/2 months this year.

Be careful wherever you choose to ride.

post #4 of 22 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 9:40 pm

LT roads
Long road= Blue Ridge Parkway...500 miles, Waynesboro to Cherokee. Do it midweek and you can do it how you like. A national treasure. A fun 1 day, an easy 2 day ride.

Short road= Cherohala Skyway....44 miles. Again a midweek road, but its like they spent a $100M on a road in the middle of nowhere, built just for LT's ridden fast.

Ralph
Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam
post #5 of 22 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 9:48 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneShot
The Dragon in East TN just claimed another victim this week. He was visiting from MI. This makes 15 for the first 6 1/2 months this year.

Be careful wherever you choose to ride.
Where in east TN is the Dragon??
post #6 of 22 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 10:22 pm

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

Mike
06 K1200 LT
01 Corvette Conv (RED)
BMWMOA # 128948
IBA #19196
post #7 of 22 Old Jul 14th, 2007, 9:54 am

Rte 6

Check out Route 6 which runs from the NJ/PA border all the way to Lake Erie. Two lanes and the bulk of the trip is through forests and mountains. Passes by the Grand Canyon of PA and more. Route 6 has a nice website too.
post #8 of 22 Old Jul 14th, 2007, 12:05 pm

Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneShot
The dragon claimed two more riders yesterday making it 3 this month. The death-toll is 17 this year.

I feel bad for the foliage when these riders fly off into the trees. Afterwards, the extraction teams have to tear up the foliage pulling these bikes up from 80' below. They should leave the bodies down there to fertilize the ground.

When you ride it, just watch out for the kamikaze that are trying to give you a crotch-rocket enema.
Be careful!
post #9 of 22 Old Jul 14th, 2007, 4:06 pm

Hwy 221

If you are in or around the Boone area, take 105 towards Grandfather Mt., turn left at the stop light there at Linville on 221, you will end up in Blowing Rock or you can take the parkway, which you will intersect and go north or south. It's a beautiful drive and not that crowded...........Ride on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithb
What is the best road to ride in the eastern US -- by best I mean 2 lane road with a ton of curves and senic -- maybe something in the blue ridge mts?? i have a week to spend out there and want to enjoy the new LT.

Thanks for your imput

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R1200GSA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

K1200LTC
Tony Quick
Sanford, NC

Last edited by quickbeemer; Jul 14th, 2007 at 4:15 pm.
post #10 of 22 Old Jul 14th, 2007, 4:14 pm

The Dragon is not scenic. Too busy watching the road carefully.

Do the Blue Ridge Parkway, the very best is south of Boone, NC to the end.

Or the Cherohala Skyway - east-west or west-east doesn't matter.

A really fun ride is to do the BRP from start to finish and camp along the way. Don't be in a hurry and enjoy.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #11 of 22 Old Jul 14th, 2007, 8:09 pm

IMHO, If you have not done the BRP that is without question where you should start. There are lots of other roads in north Georgia, east Tenn, western North Carolina and western South Carolina where you can have more spirted fun but the BRP is the ride. You can go both directions on the parkway end to end on the same trip and enjoy it. You can even add the last 100 miles (200 if you turn around) and do Skyline Drive from Waynesboro to Front Royal. It is a National Park and requires an admission fee but it still is good riding. You should also consider Great Smokey Mountain National Park. Ideally you want to do any of these three mid week before or after school is in session but now is what you have.

Stay with the speed limit. There is one and it is strictly enforced. I may not seem like it.... but when you come upon a Ranger, you can be assured that they will be evaluating your speed. You may only see a Ranger, once or twice in the whole trip off season but on season expect many more. If you exceed the posted limit and you are observed they will ticket you and from what I understand it is very expensive and reported to your home state.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

Last edited by jackd; Jul 14th, 2007 at 8:14 pm.
post #12 of 22 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 7:06 am

Scenic Eastern Routes

My buddy and I just finished a week long tour through Sky Line Drive, Shenandoah Valley (we actually enjoyed driving down 340 better than up in the Mts), Blue Ridge Pkwy, Great Smokies (we went south of the park and around Santeetlah Lake), Nashville, Kentucky through horse farms, Rt 219 through West VA, Amish country in PA and home to MA. Great, Great ride. You also might consider VT, NH (Kangamangus Highway thru the White MTs), and Maine thru Acadia Ntl Prk. NY State has some really neat roads thru the Finger Lakes, Adirondak Great Peaks, Lake Champlain, etc. The East has some terrific, spectaular rides.
post #13 of 22 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 7:42 am

Here is some information on the Cherohala Skyway, mentioned several times.
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/cherohala.html

Ralph

post #14 of 22 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 8:09 am

The next one is always the best, it is what has kept me at it all these years.
Rock

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge

Rock

post #15 of 22 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 10:45 am

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj
The Dragon is not scenic. Too busy watching the road carefully.

Do the Blue Ridge Parkway, the very best is south of Boone, NC to the end.

Or the Cherohala Skyway - east-west or west-east doesn't matter.

A really fun ride is to do the BRP from start to finish and camp along the way. Don't be in a hurry and enjoy.
I second these recommendations...with a BIG NOD for my personal favorite, the Cherohala Skyway.
post #16 of 22 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 7:04 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmg08057
Here is some information on the Cherohala Skyway, mentioned several times.
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/cherohala.html

Thank you -- I will definetly have to ride this hi-way. I was planning on riding the BRP anyway -- so it looks like I will have to do a little of both.

Thanks again!!
post #17 of 22 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 9:30 pm

Keith

From direct experience, I would also recommend you avoid the Skyline Drive, which is kinda the northern extension of the Blue Ridge Parkway. This is very heavily patrolled and has a very low speed limit and is more frequented by tourists. Avoid if possible is my advice. To get on the northern end of the BRP, you get on at Waynesboro, VA. A good run would be (weekdays)......:

Day 1: Get to Waynesboro lunchtime-ish.
Waynesboro to Roanoke (the BRP passes very close by).
If you have all day, then get off at the Peaks of Otter and vist the D-Day Memorial at Bedford VA.

Day 2: Roanoke to Tapoco Lodge
This is a longish run, will take most of the day.
Thats the BRP done :-)
Tapoco Lodge is at one end of Deals Gap and not far from the NC end of the Cherohala. www.tapocolodge.com

Day 3: Two loops back to Tapoco Lodge again....
129W thru Deals Gap west to
Foothills Parkway north to
321/441E over Great Smokies (go to the summit at Clingmans Dome) to
Cherokee and thru to Dillsboro to
23 to Franklin
Take 28N (one of the best roads in the area, great to do at a fair clip)
19/74 to
129 to Robbinsville, then
143/165 which is the Cherohala to Tellico Plains.
Back the way you just came (you'll understand why when you get there) to the 129 then N to Tapoco Lodge.
Thats a nice day with 4 classic roads....Deals Gap, Foothills Parkway, 28, Cherohala Skyway....about 280 miles....you'll have had fun on that.

Ralph

post #18 of 22 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 9:49 pm

Blue Ridge

One more vote for riding the Blue Ridge Parkway. It's a relatively slow ride - 45 mph speed limit - and so lovely that you'll not regret the slow pace and you'll be off the bike taking photos quite often.

We rode Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge parkway from north to south, took our time, and spent 4 days on that part of a longer ride. Take part of a day and ride down the mountain to Mt. Airy, the actual Mayberry of the Andy Griffin show. Also go down the beautiful ride at Mt. Pisgah.

Get off near Gatlinburg, ride over to Pigeon Forge, and see Dollywood.

The whole ride is just beautiful, even more so during the week when traffic can be light, even during summer. Pack rain gear - you'll go through rain.

Riding the Dragon to Deal's Gap is an iffy proposition. While it's fun to say "been there, done that" the truth is that the squids and unskilled have made the 11 mile run a nightmare, especially on weekends. If you want a tee shirt and a hamburger, pull out a map and plan a route that gets you to the shop at Deal's Gap via the south route, not the actual Tail of the Dragon itself. You'll live longer and be happier.

Inside my 60 year old body is a 35 year old brain wondering what the hell happened.
2005 K1200LT
2005 Suzuki Burgman
BMWMOA #130574
post #19 of 22 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 6:56 am

I found this site over the weekend and found it helpful. Pick your state.

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/

Ride safe,
Curt

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #20 of 22 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 8:44 am

We have ridden the BRP every year for the past 6 years plus I grew up in the area. From Waynesboro, VA to Cherokee, NC., there are hundreds of great places to see and stay.

http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/
http://www.nps.gov/blri

Peaks of Otter Lodge - Quiet, no TV or phones in the rooms, great Fri night seafood buffet.

Tuddles Gap - Great place to eat the locals love it.

The Bluffs - same setup as The Peaks great restaurant, (they do not sell gas anymore)

Linville Falls, - ParkView Motel (biker friendly) Only 2 places to eat in town, both good

Pisgah Inn - Great view, nice rooms and good food.

Tappico Lodge is good, clean rooms, dinner meals are limited menu.

Once you get to the end there are a hundred places to stay and eat and most are good to great. Maggie Valley has several biker friendly motels, one even puts out water hose, bucket and rags in wash area just for bikers.

Just be extra careful in the early AM and late PM for critters especially Deer and Wild Turkeys.

Mike
06 K1200 LT
01 Corvette Conv (RED)
BMWMOA # 128948
IBA #19196
post #21 of 22 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 8:59 am

The BRP is definitely a great ride. The 45mph speed limit is a bit slow although when we rode it there was a guy on an LT along with a couple of other bikes that would zip past us at about 65 ot 70. Then we would see them at a pull out having a smoke, then they would pass us again at about 65 or 70.

We found that we did not like the section north of Waynesboro (actually called Skyline Drive) due to the number of trees down because of weather. Not very scenic and also the most deer sightings.

We got off on 33 West to West Virginia and took 222 south. That is a good road too.

Almost any road in southern Virginia, North Carolina and Tennessee is a good road. There were even sections of I-40 that had big sweepers and hills.

We did Deals Gap but after doing once I would not spend the tiem to do it again.....the pucker factor is just too great. Way too many crazies on that road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BlueRidge1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	13168   Click image for larger version

Name:	BlueRidge2.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	13169   Click image for larger version

Name:	BlueRidge.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	13170   Click image for larger version

Name:	DealsGap1.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	13171   Click image for larger version

Name:	DealsGap.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	13172  

Bob Walker
Rio Rancho,NM
'13 Yamaha Super Tenere
'00 LTi Trike, Basalt Blue
'12 K1600GTL, Dark Blue(Sold)
post #22 of 22 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 9:43 am

The Cherohola Skyway is a "must do" road and if you haven't done Deals Gap you should just to say you have. Both are much better mid-week.

One of my favorites is US421 from Bristol, TN to Boone, NC. You go over two mountain ranges with a nice valley in between.

If you are on the BRP near Little Switzerland, NC look for 226 and 226A. Both are a short run up and down the mountain side and worth the trip.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in