Scared Shi*less of side stand - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 7:44 am Thread Starter

Scared Shi*less of side stand

Only had the Bus for 3 weeks

Not very comfortable about leaving it on the side stand as it has already rolled off once but I was lucky enough to be underneath it and did no damage .

Tomorrow I am putting it on the Eurotunnel train.

Would you leave it on the centre stand or (as the train manager suggests) put it on the side stand and leave it in gear butting the front wheel into the train kerb.

Help!!!

Fat bikers bounce better
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 8:01 am

In this case, I'd defer to the train manager. I would figure he has more experience with such things than I do.

For everyday use, I used the sidestand. I just make sure it's fully extended, and let the bike roll just enough in gear to take the slack out of the geartrain, and lock the steering full left.
post #3 of 13 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 8:03 am

I've had good luck with the side stand. Technique is to leave the bike in gear and roll forward a bit before setting down on the stand. I haven't had a problem yet.

The center stand is more of a problem for me as I can't roll off while on the bike (can't reach the ground). I roll off while standing along side and I've had it go over on me far side.

I haven't had mine on a train or ferry, but I'd say whatever stand you use, the key is to make sure she can't roll forward.

Joe
2005 BMW K1200LT
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs

post #4 of 13 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 8:44 am

In your circumstances, I would leave it on the center stand. No question about it.. I have not had problems with the side stand recently, but with all the motion on a train, you never know what movement may occur or if there will be any tilting, etc.. Better safe then sorry for sure. I wouldn't trust the train manager only on this one. You are the one that owns the bike.. You are the one that would take the loss or be responsible if the beast fell on something else.

If it were me, no question. Center stand....

Good Luck
post #5 of 13 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 9:10 am

a. I am sure there is a tie down system
b. If there isnt Have a spare rope to hand; tie the rope to the side stand (or center stand) and then to the front wheel. Make sure 100% you have rolled the bike forward before using the side stand (in gear of course) to get rid of the 'slack'. If there is anything on the left of the bike, tie the bike towards it (I use lorries when available, on ferries, but you have to get back to the bike sharpish on arrival!) I also use rubber door wedges front and back. Worked for my trip on the Isle of Weight ferry where they had no tie downs at all.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 10:23 am

The only thing I'd add to Jomas is to us a velcro strap on the brake lever - lock it, and the bike won't move. This is the routine I use on the ferries over here.

Enjoy the trip!
post #7 of 13 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 10:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bflemingor
The only thing I'd add to Jomas is to us a velcro strap on the brake lever - lock it, and the bike won't move. This is the routine I use on the ferries over here.

Enjoy the trip!
+1 with the brake lever. I would also take a small block of wood and wedge in front of the rear wheel. If you don't need it toss it in the trash.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue Honu
post #8 of 13 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 10:47 am

Lots of good suggestions...

in the posts above.

Here's mine:

For normal parking, park where it is level or uphill. Don't park where gravity will roll the bike forward. I come to a stop in first gear, put down the side stand (the bike shuts off), let out the clutch and roll forward to take up driveline slack, and then lean it over onto the sidestand.
(Don't forget to turn off the ignition key or you'll get a dead battery, DAHIK

For a train or ferry: if you have tie down points and you expect a bit of a rough ride, put the bike on the side stand in gear. Use one tie-down on the centerstand side of the bike and take up the slack in the tie-down. Use another tie-down on the other side of the bike and tension it so the bike's weight is pulled off the sidestand and the bike's suspension is compressed a little. Taking some weight off the sidestand where a rough ride is expected may prevent damage to the side stand.

If there are no tie-down points but you can park next to a rail, put the bike on the side stand in gear, and tie the bike to the rail.

For a rough ride the bike on the sidestand is less likely to damage things than having it on the centerstand where the center stand is taking all the bike's weight. A long bouncing ride with all the weight on the center stand just might break something. Using the sidestand puts more of the bike's weight on the suspension, the key is just to keep it from falling over, and minimizing risk of damage to the sidestand.

A bungee cord, velcro, or electrical tape on the front brake lever is a great idea regardless of the tie-down method.

Whether using the side stand or centerstand, running a line around the stand and through the front wheel to keep the bike from rolling off the stand is also a good idea.

Last edited by CharlieVT; Jul 13th, 2007 at 11:30 am.
post #9 of 13 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 11:54 am

What would bother me is the usually jerky train motions, if it were mine and I couldn't tie it, I would lay it down on the bumper,(pad taped to the bumper). I know it sounds extreme, but if its down it can't fall. I had to leave mine out in a severe storm, I pulled it on the grass and layed it over. When it was over, I stood it back up and rode it home. No damage, no worries.
post #10 of 13 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 1:50 pm
Super Moderator

Leaving it in gear when parked on the sidestand is always a good idea, regardless of location.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #11 of 13 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 2:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
Leaving it in gear when parked on the sidestand is always a good idea, regardless of location.
I hardly ever put my bike in neutral. Especially not at stop lights, since I talked to you on the phone almost five years ago! I think you were in a hospital bed, and I was at the Booze Brothers meet. I watch my mirrors like a hawk now!

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #12 of 13 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 3:04 pm

Garage
A few years ago, a friend and I trucked my R80RT and his Gold Wing on the centerstands with tie downs. The centerstand of both bikes were broken when we reached the destination. I now use tie downs but neither stand, and it has worked for me.

Brunhilde 2 - '07 R1200RT
Brunhilde '02LTE: my big, strong Germanic woman
post #13 of 13 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 6:21 pm

Bad idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxposner
What would bother me is the usually jerky train motions, if it were mine and I couldn't tie it, I would lay it down on the bumper,(pad taped to the bumper). I know it sounds extreme, but if its down it can't fall. I had to leave mine out in a severe storm, I pulled it on the grass and layed it over. When it was over, I stood it back up and rode it home. No damage, no worries.
The tip-over wings are designed to minimize damage in case of a tip over. They certainly aren't designed to take the kind of vibration and pounding that would result from a train or ferry ride. Sorry, but I consider intentionlly lying the bike down for the duration of the trip to be an extraordinarily bad idea.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in