Snap Crakle Pop Helmet Speaker - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 9:47 pm Thread Starter

Snap Crakle Pop Helmet Speaker

I switched the radio to the weather channel to catch a report .. for whatever reason the volume on the weather channel is not very loud... I cranked up the volume..

once I had the report I started down the road and not thinking I switched the radio to FM and booooooooom the volume was so hight that the speakers in the helmet not to mention me ear drums started crakling ...

Is there an inexpensive ( probably better ) replacement speaker for the autocom pro helmet speakers?

Anyone know why the weather channel is so weak?

Jerry,

2002 LT -[MidLife]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 9:57 pm

Rat Shak Titanium..

Get the Rat Shak Titanium head phones. Carefully disassemble the headset, unsolder the wires then put into your helmet to replace the originals..

I got the idea from Joe Paulsey and it works great..

The gal at the Rat Shak asked if I wanted the "extended warranty".. I respectfully declined.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 10:30 pm Thread Starter

Thank you sooo much

Jerry,

2002 LT -[MidLife]

post #4 of 10 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 11:00 pm

It doesn't look like Radio Shack sells their own brand of headphones any more. The models that were referenced in the old forum no longer exist. Radio Shack sells Koss Titanium headphones at the same price now. They look similar to the ones I previously purchased so I assume they will work. Their website shows they are currently on sale for $19.99 ($20 off).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #5 of 10 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 11:16 pm

yup.. I think should work.. actually the actual speaker is a fairly standard size inside.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #6 of 10 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 6:57 am Thread Starter

Ok .. will check it out today..

Does your weater channel have a major difference in volume from regular FM?

Jerry,

2002 LT -[MidLife]
post #7 of 10 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 7:59 am

yes.. it is very weak, very location dependent. Even my HD's Weather band did not work strongly... but the BMW's is far weaker. I suppose in Germany the stations are closer together than Texas..

EDIT:
I suppose to "wire" in the new speakers, leaving about an inch of wire attached then soldering your leads to it would work best. Don't forget to tape or "silicone" RTV the solder joints.. then a dab of RTV or quick epoxy to hold the wire to the speaker frame for "strain relief"..

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #8 of 10 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 9:06 am

Yeah weather channel is weak here, too. I had soome popping and cracking yesterday in mine, as well as soome intermittent feedback (OUCH!!!). Got home and checked and the heat shrink had come loose and was allowing some wires to touch.

just something to check when you get weird noises in your headset.

Randy
post #9 of 10 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 6:30 pm

You guys are getting SCARY again.. Is there a weather radio hidden in ALL those buttons on the 06

Mike
06 K1200 LT
01 Corvette Conv (RED)
BMWMOA # 128948
IBA #19196
post #10 of 10 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 6:55 pm Thread Starter

Aye... press the am button a few time

Jerry,

2002 LT -[MidLife]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in