A short on my '06 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 9:01 pm Thread Starter

A short on my '06

My LT pops the 7.5A fuse that's in the low beam/ft-rear marker light circuit.

Had it in to BMWOR in Tigard for two days and there's nothing obvious - take it out on the road for a couple of hundred miles & somewhere out the the fuse pops... Just wondering if anyone's seen a similar problem? Bike only has 7800 on the clock, never been in the rain, or down...

However, it has every bell/whistle/farkle one might dream to attach to an LT...

Thanks for the thoughts.. BMWOR thanks you too...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 9:51 pm

Hard to figure this one without pulling stuff off. A "short" as you know is someplace the wires are grounding somewhere.

Now, if it's this one fuse blowing, trace the wire back from the fuse and look for a pinched wire.

If you've put lots of "farkles" installed by the dealer, well, they would be best to debug. I would suggest you speak to them first.

On the other hand, If a lot of "load" has been placed on that circuit, blowing the fuse may continue... that's not a "short", that's overloading... and not good... this is something which may not fail until a device warms up.

Don't forget.. if any "ground" is not tight/secure, that can also cause a fuse to "blow"...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 12:32 am Thread Starter

Thanks Deacon - We've not found anything on the circuit that was added, nor found anything obvious. Since it under warranty, BMW is recommending the ENTIRE wiring harness be replaced.

If that has to happen, I'm going to limp along until this riding season winds down - that's up to two weeks of shop time... Hopefully someone will have seen this before & guide us to something slightly less severe...

post #4 of 18 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 12:44 am

Cool

Hey Bill, I may be able to help. Check your PM's.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 18 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 1:13 pm Thread Starter

Update

The Tigard BMWOR team went to bat for me & got BMW to foot the bill on 100% of the R&R to fix this problem. Our best guess is that the ignitor for the headlight is not reliable, and will be replaced.

From BMW - fix the problem, whatever it takes.

Now that's customer service!
post #6 of 18 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 3:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bflemingor
The Tigard BMWOR team went to bat for me & got BMW to foot the bill on 100% of the R&R to fix this problem. Our best guess is that the ignitor for the headlight is not reliable, and will be replaced.

From BMW - fix the problem, whatever it takes.

Now that's customer service!
Interesting. I had he same fuse go on me on the way home from MOA rally. I completed a 670 mile run and noticed no lo beam when I pulled into my driveway. Replaced fuse and it is holding but I will be interested in seeing how you make out.

Fred Rosenbaum
NF1U
2006 K1200LT Totaled
2005 R1200GS
post #7 of 18 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 12:12 am Thread Starter

Hmm... same year, same color, same issue... wonder how closely they were made??

I'll post an update when I get the bike back.
post #8 of 18 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 11:15 am
Lifetime Supporter

Cool

My '05 blew the fuse so only turn signals worked. I disconnected the running wire and jumped off the parking lights. Works fine now.

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #9 of 18 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 10:01 pm

Look closely at the fuse. You should be able to tell if it blew due to a short of an overload. A fuse that does its thing because of an overload will look like it melted. One that went because of a short will usually look like the element exploded, black smudge mark. Takes a little experience to get the feel for it but there is a difference.

Homo watt? Gay amp that runs through wires and blows fuses?

B D R
post #10 of 18 Old Jul 28th, 2007, 11:22 pm Thread Starter

No black smuges on any of the old fuses - fault was the ignitor for the headlight - replaced under warranty... This was not a failure that occured all the time - just when the humidity went over 50%???

While my baby was nude, we noted a little chafing on some wires in the relay box - fixed that too, and went ahead and had the quick connectors removed as insurance.

Looks like we're good to go.
post #11 of 18 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:29 am Thread Starter

Another Update

It seems the headlight ignitor has been re-engineered, and not yet released by BMW (expected 8/15). Methinks this may indicate a recall in the works??

Hilda will have to remain naked until it's fixed, or it becomes a "personal" rather than warranty fix - read three weeks or more w/o the LT...

How may others are having problems with the 7.5A lighting fuse blowing??
post #12 of 18 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 6:52 pm

Yes I added the CQ HID to my 05' and have had the same fuse blow 2 times now.. I am planning to pull the CQ to send to them for PD but sounds like an igniter might be the fix !? I also considered ordering a complete spare from them or the Fashtek (they offfer a 4300K lamp) to do the PD with.. that way she only has to be naked for the swap and no real down time.. anybody else have a power prob with the CQ ?

Bill
KLR650
Looking for the next machine :<)
Lafayette, Indiana
post #13 of 18 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 9:11 pm

Again bummer.. Shooting the bug the second time was a little easier.. ?

I think the new Fastek has the smaller combined ballast and igniter..

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #14 of 18 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 9:16 pm

I just ordered a new ballast and ignitor from cq for $40.00, my bulb was still good but the ballast was starting to go I think, my low beam would go out after a few minutes, they said to send it all back and they would check it out and replace it if it was faulty, I did not want to be without a low beam for that long so I ordered a new set up. I will send in the old ballast and ignitor when I get the new and they can replace it for me so at least I will then have a spare if needed
post #15 of 18 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
Again bummer.. Shooting the bug the second time was a little easier.. ?

I think the new Fastek has the smaller combined ballast and igniter..
Hi Jack.. Yes troubleshooting gets easier.. this time I did not completely strip the tupperware off the sides and front to diagnose the fuse in the back !! :<( But I still have the fuse and some issue out front.. I think I will order Fastek and then swap out CQ and let them replace the failing part for me on return.. I will have spare parts then I hope ! O WELL.

Bill
KLR650
Looking for the next machine :<)
Lafayette, Indiana
post #16 of 18 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 5:28 am

Dude, my whole bike is fried, see my post. What makes things worse is that my dealer has a whole box of wiring harnesses that are charred just like mine. Damage is over 3 grand! After inspecting it all I find about 10 places where the wires have been rubbing to the point of metal to metal contact on an 04. Unreal inho.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

post #17 of 18 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 2:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrovarious
Dude, my whole bike is fried, see my post. What makes things worse is that my dealer has a whole box of wiring harnesses that are charred just like mine. Damage is over 3 grand! After inspecting it all I find about 10 places where the wires have been rubbing to the point of metal to metal contact on an 04. Unreal inho.
What are some of the points that the harness was rubbing on the frame?

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #18 of 18 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 6:11 pm Thread Starter

On my '06, there's a relay box on the right side, just below the CD player ( yes, that's a naked Hilda). BMW uses a fabric friction/insulation tape to bundle the wires together. If you look, you can see where this chafe's the other wires.

With the tupperware off, I used the old fashioned electrical tape to protect the other wires. I just hope this is the only location giving problems...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in