Rear wheel metalic rubbing sound - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 8:24 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Rear wheel metalic rubbing sound

I've read many posts on the final drive bearing issues the LT has had and what folks have sensed or heard just before the bearing did the final dump for them. What I can't find is adequate diagnostic info that could warn of an impending issue, be it the bearing or other malfunction in the rear wheel.
The reason I ask is that when I spin my rear wheel I hear a soft rubbing sound, almost like the brake pad is slightly contacting the rotor and I do not feel any lateral movement or see any leakage.
I've read that a predictor to a final drive failure was a sound more like gravel in the wheel. I don't hear that, but is it normal to hear some rubbing noise coming from the rear wheel? She's a 1999 K1200LT with ~46K on her.

Thanks for any feedback,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 12th, 2007, 8:49 am

I am on my 4th bearing. No warning at all.
I would put money on the brake theory.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

Old Jul 12th, 2007, 8:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt
I've read many posts on the final drive bearing issues the LT has had and what folks have sensed or heard just before the bearing did the final dump for them. What I can't find is adequate diagnostic info that could warn of an impending issue, be it the bearing or other malfunction in the rear wheel.
The reason I ask is that when I spin my rear wheel I hear a soft rubbing sound, almost like the brake pad is slightly contacting the rotor and I do not feel any lateral movement or see any leakage.
I've read that a predictor to a final drive failure was a sound more like gravel in the wheel. I don't hear that, but is it normal to hear some rubbing noise coming from the rear wheel? She's a 1999 K1200LT with ~46K on her.

Thanks for any feedback,
Jer
Jer,
To be sure of the noise you are hearing, just pull off the rear brake pad assembly, as if you were taking off the rear tire. Two allen head bolts I believe. Tie the assembly back out of the way and spin the rear wheel. It should be smooth and quiet. You can also drain your final drive oil and inspect very carefully. If you see anything shiny you might have a problem.

Good Luck,
DCH

Old Jul 12th, 2007, 9:40 am

It's a lot easier to just drop the pads off than to remove the entire assembly. It should accomplish the same thing.

Anyway, that's what I do.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 10:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00k1e
I am on my 4th bearing. No warning at all.
I would put money on the brake theory.
FOURTH bearing? That makes you a "16 percenter" at least!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 1:14 pm

Betting on Brake pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnowell
It's a lot easier to just drop the pads off than to remove the entire assembly. It should accomplish the same thing.

Anyway, that's what I do.
Yes, no need to remove the cailber. No need to remove the pads either really.
I just push the pads back with a screwdriver so they aren't rubbing on the rotor. This checks to insure the pistons are not binding or seized as well as creating clearance for the rotor to turn without rubbing the pads. Then you can really listen and free for abnormality in the final drive.

Just remember to pump the brake a couple of times to get the pads back up against the rotor before your next ride or your first application of the brake may surprise you.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 5:45 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Pads don't move much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
Yes, no need to remove the cailber. No need to remove the pads either really.
I just push the pads back with a screwdriver so they aren't rubbing on the rotor. This checks to insure the pistons are not binding or seized as well as creating clearance for the rotor to turn without rubbing the pads. Then you can really listen and free for abnormality in the final drive.

Just remember to pump the brake a couple of times to get the pads back up against the rotor before your next ride or your first application of the brake may surprise you.
The pads didn't move very easily, but I did notice a reduction in the rubbing sound being made for the little I was able to move them, so apparently that's the issue. The piston(s) may be binding a bit too much. I don't see much wear on the rotor, so maybe the pads and rotor are fairly new. I bought her 2000 miles ago, so I don't know the history. The dealer isn't real forthcoming with it either. Maybe I'll press the dealer harder for some maintenance records.

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in