Windshield distortion - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jul 11th, 2007, 12:17 am Thread Starter

Cool Windshield distortion

I bought a k1200lt back in march. Great bike,handles terriffic for it's size. The only thing I dont like is the wind shield. It has a c-baily with built in side wings and cuved up on top but looking thru it, it looks distorted. Ive even seen stock windshield distorted. Are all the shield made like this on this bike????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 11th, 2007, 1:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dock
I bought a k1200lt back in march. Great bike,handles terriffic for it's size. The only thing I dont like is the wind shield. It has a c-baily with built in side wings and cuved up on top but looking thru it, it looks distorted. Ive even seen stock windshield distorted. Are all the shield made like this on this bike????
No, the stock shield on my 06 is amazingly clear. It is so clear and undistorted, that I am very, very careful when I clean it.

2006 LT
Times dropped(so far): 2
2006 FZ-1
Speeding tickets(so far): 0

IBA

"Four things greater than all things are,-
Women and Horses and Power and War." Rudyard Kipling
post #3 of 7 Old Jul 11th, 2007, 10:43 am

Quote:
You have the Cee-Bailey #2 with wings, which does have a slight upward angle at the top for air deflection (you can also get the #2 without wings). There is slight disortion at the base of the curvature (near the top). They come in varying heights. I get enough wind protection with mine (#2) lowered all the way. If I do raise it, I make sure that my line of sight is not through the curvature.

Mine is stock height, and I am 6'3". Windshields are very subjective. I prefer to look over mine. If you prefer looking through yours, maybe a Cee-Bailey #1 (no curvature), or another brand may be best.

Again - very subjective - try asking the forum which tire is best, for more uniform opinions...

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 11th, 2007, 12:30 pm

Distortion measurement

Quote:
Check out this thread to see how I quantified the distortion in my CB shield. If it's uniform, gradual, symmetric, etc. and not in the line of sight, it's probably a normal result of the design. If it's asymmetric and pronounced (as you can clearly see in the photos of my shield), then it's probably defective and you might get some relief from the manufacturer.

In my case, CB was extremely helpful - and they seem to be consistent based on the testimony of other posters here. As with all customer service experiences, it may also help to talk to the right people. I believe Tom @ CB's got a reputation here of being "the man" to talk to.

Dave

'03 K1200LT-C Dark Graphite
'96 Triumph Sprint 900 British Racing Green (traded)
'95 Yamaha Virago 750 Pearl/Black (sold)
post #5 of 7 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 10:27 pm

The stock windshield on my '06 was distorted when looking anywhere but straight ahead. Unacceptable for me when looking through the turns in the twisties. I replaced mine with a Parabellum, it is crystal clear with absolutely no distortion at all.

Jim
'06LT - Magnesium Black Graphite (light black)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old Jul 14th, 2007, 9:32 am

The one on my '03 is pretty bad, replaced it once under warranty and the new one wasn't any better, maybe even a little worse. I can see through it but prefer to look over it especially when in twisties. Though thats what that little buttom on the left was for, adjust it so its just right.

B D R
post #7 of 7 Old Jul 14th, 2007, 12:06 pm

Just a thought but has anyone considered types of sunglasses they are wearing when we refer to a distored windscreen.

Although its probably not a likely problem but different sunglass manufactures can cause different effects while looking through these winscreens.

some polorized glasses can cause a rainbow effect sometimes also.

Quohog

Tomorrow is promised to no one!
1993 Honda CBR1000F
2001 K1200LTC (sold)
2004 K1200LT (replaced 01)
2005 Yamaha Road Star (gone)
2009 Harley Road King Classic
2009 Harley Ultra Classic.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in