12 K maintenance fun - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 10:18 am Thread Starter

12 K maintenance fun

Started my 12K maintenance last night by doing the rear drive and tranny. CD says to remove lower left fairing. After completing the tranny oil, I can see no reason to completely remove it. You do have to remove the right footpeg assy and there are 2 screws in the fairing that would have to come out, but no reason that I could see to remove entire fairing portion. And be aware, if you;re new to the maintenance procedures, that the brake pedal and cylinder are attached to the footpeg bracket. Be ready to tie them up out of the way, instead of thinking you;re going to set them aside.

The rest of the CD is pretty correct. Remove exh bracket and make some kinda oil diverter to get it into a drain pan. I used sheet plastic cut roughly to shape on CD. HoW has other options. Also have either the proper allen head wrench or some other 9/16" bolt or something to remove drain plug. I used two nuts jammed together on a 3/8" bolt (9/16" head) to remove mine. May try to get a proper tool for next time.

The magnetic plug had right many "whiskers" on it, which I am assuming would be fairly normal for the first ever tranny oil change. Hope that doesn't get any worse. Is it fairly normal, oh wise ones?

The rear drive was entirely too simple. remove plug and filler, drain, put plug back, refill. Duh. The magnetic drain plug had a black sludge on it, but no visible shavings (good sign, I hope). I used the markings on my lube bottle and stopped when it got down to 24 oz left in qt bottle. I used Mobil1 75w-140 syn for this change. Service rep at Carolina BMW said that would work fine. Most of the rest went into the tranny.

Next up: Air filter, Fuel filter, plugs, oil chg, ending up with a valve check at tech session and a trip to dlr to have computer checked. Other normal 12K services were done at 6k service, since bike was new to me and hadn't been serviced since the 600 mile service in early 04.

It's a good feeling to do the maintenance yourself and everything go fairly smoothly.

Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 10:56 am

Cool Left side lower fairing

You have to remove the left side lower fairing to check the valves and replace the spark plugs. I left my bottom belly fairing attached to the right side lower fairing and removed it as one big piece. I save 15 seconds! (there are only 3 screws) Tip: When you remove the gas tank cover (stingray) tape over the part around your oddment box cover release button. Mine is black and scratched easily. Good luck. No brains required, just lots of time.

Craig

2000 K1200LTC "Little Turd"
2001 Harley Softail Deuce "Ground Pounder"
BMWMOA #113448
post #3 of 15 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 11:09 am Thread Starter

Thanks. I'm finding that you don;t usually have to remove everything the CD says to. And I found out that the whole belly will come off as one piece, but tehn has to go back on as one piece. It's pretty easy to only remove a side though. It gets easier with practice. I have't got to the valves and plugs yet. Soon.

Randy

post #4 of 15 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 11:15 am

Question

Which DVD are you using BMW or the Paul Sayegh and what year is your bike?

Craig

BMWMOA #113448
post #5 of 15 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 11:27 am Thread Starter

BMW. Haven't got the Sayegh set yet. Just doing simpler stuff on my own for now. Still got to tacklet the air filter for the first time. Dlr says its about 15 minutes for them, a bit longer first time you do it. I'll get there. Kinda intimidated by valve process, so waiting for tech session to have help onhand.

it's an 03, btw.

Randy
post #6 of 15 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 11:54 am

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rando
Still got to tacklet the air filter for the first time. Dlr says its about 15 minutes for them, a bit longer first time you do it.

Randy
15 minutes from what point????? After you take the gas tank off? If I rode in and my dealer said 15 minutes to change air filter, I would make him put it in writing and then hold him to it when the bill came! It takes at least and hour after you have the upper fairings off, as you have to remove the gas tank cover (the part with the radio and oddments box) remove the seat mounting bracket and seat, disconnect the fuel lines (2) and electric fuel pump, drain the tank, unhook the overflow hoses (I used masking tape to label these) and tipover sensor and fuel gauge. Then lift the tank off and presto 4 screws later there is the air filter. Mine was dirty at 12K. While the tank is off, change the fuel filter and be sure to have 2 new hose clamps for the replacement. You can't re-use the factory ones. I just did all of this and wish I was there to help. It was fun. Especially when you look at the pile off plastic and think "I hope I remember where it all goes" The Sayegh videos are a big help. I borrowed a set from a friend.

Craig

BMWMOA #113448
post #7 of 15 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 12:11 pm Thread Starter

I have no idea. Haven't been there yet. That sounds like a LOT of stuff to change the firckin air filter. Mmmm boy, I hope it works out better than it sounds. We'll see.....

Thanks for the optimism.....LOL

Randy
post #8 of 15 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 12:16 pm

After you finish the 12k, you will feel so good about yourself. You will have a feeling of accomplishment and an extra $800 in the bank. You will also feel much less intimidated by the beast. Good luck and post questions when you have them. There are people here ready to give advice.....good or bad!

Craig

BMWMOA #113448
post #9 of 15 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 12:48 pm

The 12,000 check never gets any harder than the first time you do it. I've done six of them on my 03. The first time is a bit scary but your confidence grows and after a couple under your belt it's almost second nature. I don't even keep track of where what screw goes where on the plastic, you just know where each goes. That said, I'm still very careful when I'm taking the cam gears off the cam shaft to change a bucket.

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE
post #10 of 15 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 1:44 pm

Quote:
BMW. Still got to tacklet the air filter for the first time. Dlr says its about 15 minutes for them, a bit longer first time you do it. I'll get there. Kinda intimidated by valve process, so waiting for tech session to have help onhand.

it's an 03, btw.

Randy
15 minutes is about right.....to remove the four screws and swap out the filter. An easy hour to get to that point, another hour and a half to get it back together (not counting time to change fuel filter - you need a BIG pair of channel locks or a strap wrench to do it.) There is one bolt, right side 'stingray skeleton', that has made many a grown man cry (and curse). I did my filter at 24k, it was fine. I wont do it again until 48. Valve check was a piece of cake compared to the filter, all valves were in spec at 24k, we'll see what happens at 48k. I know, BMW calls for valve check and filter change at 12k, they are a tad conservative.

Now when you get really nervy, try changing out the brake fluid (takes two people to do it right.) Completing that successfully gives one a REAL feeling of accomplishment!

Just old, clutchless and clueless
Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas
post #11 of 15 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 1:51 pm

Quote:
...The rear drive was entirely too simple. remove plug and filler, drain, put plug back, refill. Duh. The magnetic drain plug had a black sludge on it, but no visible shavings (good sign, I hope). I used the markings on my lube bottle and stopped when it got down to 24 oz left in qt bottle. I used Mobil1 75w-140 syn for this change. Service rep at Carolina BMW said that would work fine. Most of the rest went into the tranny...Randy
You might be interested in what Paul Glaves said in this month's issue of BMWON!

"...I have NOT found one single document that says that 75w140 or 85w140 is acceptable in ball bearing equipped final drives. I think that the use of this "out-of-spec" is a significant contributing factor to (FD) bearing failure.

Paul's credentials are pretty good. You might want to reconsider your choice of FD lube and go by what the owner's manual and Paul suggest.

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 15 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 1:52 pm

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRuss
15 minutes is about right.....to remove the four screws and swap out the filter. An easy hour to get to that point, another hour and a half to get it back together (not counting time to change fuel filter - you need a BIG pair of channel locks or a strap wrench to do it.) There is one bolt, right side 'stingray skeleton', that has made many a grown man cry (and curse). I did my filter at 24k, it was fine. I wont do it again until 48. Valve check was a piece of cake compared to the filter, all valves were in spec at 24k, we'll see what happens at 48k. I know, BMW calls for valve check and filter change at 12k, they are a tad conservative.

Now when you get really nervy, try changing out the brake fluid (takes two people to do it right.) Completing that successfully gives one a REAL feeling of accomplishment!
For what it's worth, my attitude was "I've gone this far, I'm not turning back" I didn't want that feeling of "I wish I had checked the valves and changed the fuel filter" Now that I did it all (including brake and clutch flush), if I had it to do over again I wouldn't check the valves or the fuel filter at 12k. I cut the fuel filter in half and it was clean. The valves were perfect and the 3 dealers I talked to said they never check the valves at 12k.

Craig

BMWMOA #113448
post #13 of 15 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 2:00 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JATownsend
You might be interested in what Paul Glaves said in this month's issue of BMWON!

"...I have NOT found one single document that says that 75w140 or 85w140 is acceptable in ball bearing equipped final drives. I think that the use of this "out-of-spec" is a significant contributing factor to (FD) bearing failure.

Paul's credentials are pretty good. You might want to reconsider your choice of FD lube and go by what the owner's manual and Paul suggest.
Have no idea who he is, but will consider that carefully.

Randy
post #14 of 15 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 2:02 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offwego
For what it's worth, my attitude was "I've gone this far, I'm not turning back" I didn't want that feeling of "I wish I had checked the valves and changed the fuel filter" Now that I did it all (including brake and clutch flush), if I had it to do over again I wouldn't check the valves or the fuel filter at 12k. I cut the fuel filter in half and it was clean. The valves were perfect and the 3 dealers I talked to said they never check the valves at 12k.
I'm figuring that getting all of this out of the way will give me a baseline on where the bike & I stand. I'll know and have peace of mind that the POs 6200 miles in 3 years did no harm and that everything is as fresh as it can be. The brakes and coolant were done at 6K service since the bike was already 3 yrs old. I'll know that I did everyhthing I could to prevent a failure of any sort. Of course, now I got to reconsider the FD lube....but that's a quickie.

Thanks guys
Randy
post #15 of 15 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 2:08 pm

I read this same thing. Anyone know more about this?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in