Motorcycle Jacks - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 5:01 am Thread Starter

Motorcycle Jacks

Ok, we had a post earlier about motorcyle lifts and LT's. How about motorcycle jacks?

My neighbor had his Harley Softail up on his jack the other day, with both wheels off. He was showing me how the jack worked. Looking at it, I wondered if you could even use one on an LT. His Harley was just as rock steady as if it was on the floor. He could push it, pull on it, move it around.

So what's the word on jacks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 7:18 am

As I think about it, "jacks" don't work as well because of the "underfairing" or bellypan on the LT. Harleys have exposed frame tubing underneath, giving the jack a solid surface upon which to lift the bike.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 8 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 8:39 am Thread Starter

That's what I was thinking, but really hadn't looked at the frame that closely when I had the fairings off last week.

Thanks Jack.

post #4 of 8 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 9:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBass
Ok, we had a post earlier about motorcyle lifts and LT's. How about motorcycle jacks?

My neighbor had his Harley Softail up on his jack the other day, with both wheels off. He was showing me how the jack worked. Looking at it, I wondered if you could even use one on an LT. His Harley was just as rock steady as if it was on the floor. He could push it, pull on it, move it around.

So what's the word on jacks?
I bought one and it would not work on account of the skid plate and center stand on the LT.

Sonny
post #5 of 8 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 10:39 am

I purchased an Eazy Rizer Big Blue Lift for my stable. While this is expensive relative to some of the table lifts people are purchasing I believe the Big Blue is more versitile and certainly is more portable and takes up a lot less floor space. I also like the fact that you can sit directly beneath the bike to work on it.

They make many different mounts to adapt to various styles of motorcycles. They make a custom mount for the LT that works very well. I purchased a rail mount (two rails like the floor jacks) for my HD. I have heard that some people have made modifications to the rail mount to make it work on the LT. I also purchased a front wheel mount. For my LT this gives me the option of pulling both wheels using the the multi mount support at the front of the engine or if I use the front wheel mount I get better access to the engine area.

I am still looking into the best options for lifting my GS with the Big Blue but I am sure there will be multiple solutions. After putting mine together I can see these are designed to last a lifetime. Their wheel grab product also works very well and is of a heavy duty design.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #6 of 8 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 11:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd98056
I purchased an Eazy Rizer Big Blue Lift for my stable. While this is expensive relative to some of the table lifts people are purchasing I believe the Big Blue is more versitile and certainly is more portable and takes up a lot less floor space. I also like the fact that you can sit directly beneath the bike to work on it.

They make many different mounts to adapt to various styles of motorcycles. They make a custom mount for the LT that works very well. I purchased a rail mount (two rails like the floor jacks) for my HD. I have heard that some people have made modifications to the rail mount to make it work on the LT. I also purchased a front wheel mount. For my LT this gives me the option of pulling both wheels using the the multi mount support at the front of the engine or if I use the front wheel mount I get better access to the engine area.

I am still looking into the best options for lifting my GS with the Big Blue but I am sure there will be multiple solutions. After putting mine together I can see these are designed to last a lifetime. Their wheel grab product also works very well and is of a heavy duty design.
You bought the Big Blue with the BMW kit, and it works on your LT without blocking the oil filter cover?

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #7 of 8 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 11:35 am

Big Blue

Brian said
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
You bought the Big Blue with the BMW kit, and it works on your LT without blocking the oil filter cover?
If you place the front wheel in a wheel mount the bike will be lifted by the front wheel and the rear BMW K1200LT mount leaving the underneath of the bike completely clear with no obstructions. If you have a 'R' bike there are holes at the front of the engine and there is a mounting kit available that will fit in these holes.

Jim do you allways have to remove the tip over bar or do you move the bike to the side a bit more?

Regards

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #8 of 8 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 12:39 pm

I have one I throw under the middle to keep the front wheel off the groud while on the center stand if I need to remove the front wheel.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in