Dip right - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jul 9th, 2007, 9:10 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy Dip right

Well I did it again....

For the first time she went down to the right ... (turning into my driveway... for God country and wife to see) .

My question is the brake pedal was bent.. I adjusted it back with a large pair of channel locks... Is there something else I need to check?

The brakes appear to work fine and other that a bumper scratch and bent pride all is well..

Jerry,

2002 LT -[MidLife]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jul 9th, 2007, 9:33 pm

Not likely to be anything else, so long as the plate is ok.

(guessing, I'm not a BMW certified tech, but I did stay at a Motel 8 last night)

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 21 Old Jul 9th, 2007, 10:11 pm

When I bought my bike (used of course) the brake lever was bent...I threw a crescent wrench on it and torqued it back into place and rode it for 850 miles home. never once had a problem with it and now about 12000 miles later ...still fine. If you have deeper pockets than mine you might want to have it looked at. I know mine is fine though. I don't know the damage that yours has had.

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151

post #4 of 21 Old Jul 9th, 2007, 10:32 pm Thread Starter

Thank you all

I have looked all around and don't see any additional damage..

Is there a trick to lifting the bike on that side? I put the side stand down and got my son to help me right the bike... signaficantly more effort than the other side.

I'm getting good at picking it back up

Jerry,

2002 LT -[MidLife]
post #5 of 21 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 5:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaghai
Is there a trick to lifting the bike on that side? I put the side stand down and got my son to help me right the bike... signaficantly more effort than the other side.

I'm getting good at picking it back up
I've dropped mine on both sides, and never noticed any real difference in picking it up one way vs the other. The only time it was, the bike was on the right side, but there was a slight downhill slope to the driveway, so I was having to lift it more than 90 degrees. I did have to get some help that time.

The other time it was down on the right, I just put the sidestand down, grabbed the handlebar and the sidecase handle, and walked it back up backwards. The first time I forgot to put the sidestand down. You should have seen me scrambling to get the bike in gear, hold the brake, get the sidestand down, all on a downhill slope.

Now that I think of it, three of the four times I've dropped it, (three times in the first 24 hours I had it.) it went down on the right side. No damage though.
post #6 of 21 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 9:39 am

3 times in the first 24 hrs? Wow, that must have hurt...
post #7 of 21 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 10:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomK12LT
Prolly 'bout as bad as your droppage rate after picking up your scoot in the Northwet and running back to Houston, IIRC. Don't I remember you approaching double digits on the fall-down-go-ouch scale!!! I'd say you got it out of your system with that trip!!

Course I'm not too far behind your count!! No confessions here tho!!

Best.
post #8 of 21 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 10:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomK12LT
Naw. A few scratches on one of the sidecases is all. I was able to just step off each time. This bike was a HUGE jump for me. I probably shouldn't have bought it considering that I had never ridden a motorcycle with either a straight drive transmission, or a rear foot brake. That's not even taking into the account the weight or the high center of gravity.

First time. Turning into the driveway on the trip from the dealers to home. I wasn't used to having a rear foot brake. My previous bike (Yamaha Majesty 400) had both brakes on the handlebars. I grabbed the front brake. Boom.

Got it up, and got it to the bottom of the driveway which is one a downhill slope. Got it turned around, and up on the centerstand. Decided to go for a ride a little later and checked the owners manual to make sure how to get the bike off the center stand. The owners manual says to stand beside it, and push it forward. This might work, except (1) I have no real idea how heavy this bike is, and (2) my driveway slopes to the right. (I needed help to get it up that time.) My advice now is to straddle the bike to get it off the center stand.

The third time was the next morning. I rode it to chuch and when I went to leave, I had the front wheel cut too tight, and dropped it when I let the clutch out. Left side this time. I could have gotten it up by myself that time, but there was another guy there who jumped to (1) make sure I was ok, and (2) helped me right it.

The last time was at a gas station. I was approaching the pumps and didn't see a car cutting through the parking lot. A truck was blocking the view, and he didn't see me either. Again I grabbed front brake while turning. I just picked it up and rode it on to the gas pump. I don't think the guy in the car ever knew what happened.

STAY OFF THE FRONT BRAKE WHEN TURNING AT LOW SPEED.

Last edited by CajunBass; Jul 10th, 2007 at 10:47 am.
post #9 of 21 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 12:11 pm

With the bike down on its right side you can also hold the front brake lever with your left hand as you walk it up. However, if you've already put it in gear this won't make much difference.

Peter Tessin
2002 Champagne
post #10 of 21 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 2:26 pm

Anybody picked an LT up solo? It weighs on my mind a bit when I'm riding alone. I recently visited a friend in the Catskills and he 'assigned' me a parking space. I was unpacking the top case when she went down. No damage, just shifted into gear so I know the lever must have touched. But, after a couple of vain attempts to right it alone I realized it wasn't going to happen.

Cheers,
DaleB

2007 K1200LT
post #11 of 21 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 2:38 pm

Hey Dale,

I picked up mine solo about two weeks ago. My first drop was in my driveway...a victim of somewhat less than excellent kickstand engineering along with somewhat less than careful operation

I was able to get the bike back up using the - face away from it, grab the handle and back up very slowly using very small steps method. For me, the scariest part was then transitioning to facing it and putting the kickstand down again coupled with the fear that I would push it too far and have it fall over on the other side..anyone ever done that?

My best advice to future droppers is: Do not try to save it. I was standing right next to it when it began to fall and thought I could stop it. Two bad things happened as a result.

1. I hurt my back in a big way. It's better now, but never having had a back injury before, I did not fully appreciate that particular kind of agony.

2. The driver footpeg, true to it's name pegged my right foot to my driveway. That was a new and significant kind of pain as well. Now I was forced to lift it off my foot, while standing perpendicular to it which did not help my already injured back.

Ugh...the whole time I am thinking, "This can't be happening to me!"
post #12 of 21 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 2:44 pm

Wow! Sorry to hear that. Fortunately, I was in no position to try to save it, and I certainly would have tried. Good to know that it's possible to pick up alone. Thanks!

Cheers,
DaleB

2007 K1200LT
post #13 of 21 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 10:15 pm

Dropped mine only once in the two months I have had it. I was in a rest stop in Illinois and I thought the side stand was "all" the way down. My 05 has a side-stand-bad-habit of only going half-down or half-up. Killed the engine putting the side stand down, but ALL THE WAY DOWN IT WAS NOT.

I immediately approached the car parked next to me to ask the driver if he could help upright the beast. He rolled his window up and locked his door in a flash. I have an affect on people like that, having the beard and long hair and all. He eventually rolled the window down after a few minutes of coaxing. Another guy who was walking by while we were uprighting the beast threw in a hand and all was well. The guy from the car said "That is the biggest motorcycle I have ever seen". I will remember that statement forever.

Just in time as well. Four Harleys pulled up after we got her upright. I am sure they would have had a chuckle seeing me in my predicament.

MRWAD
Y2K 1500 Vulcan Classic "HOG Harasser"
05 SV1000S "Buell Beater"
05 K1200LT "Goldbling"
My Toy Box is Full!
post #14 of 21 Old Jul 11th, 2007, 3:34 am
cws

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleB
Anybody picked an LT up solo?
Watch and learn from Mr Munson.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #15 of 21 Old Jul 11th, 2007, 7:22 am

Who ya' gona' call?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
Not likely to be anything else, so long as the plate is ok.

(guessing, I'm not a BMW certified tech, but I did stay at a Motel 8 last night)

Tate from now on! I have heard that people who stay at the Motel 8 are smarter that the ones who stay at Holiday Inn Express!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #16 of 21 Old Jul 11th, 2007, 7:27 am

Thank you Chris!!!!

You know, I never had a problem with this beast until I started reading about other mishaps on dropping the LT. It seem that the more I read about the drops and trying to find out how to right it alone, the more I drop it, having to call a friend over to help me pick it up, I was running low on help. I thought the stand worked fine from months and then I was reading about how to be careful in parking her. Low a behold, down she went. Now I have done it three damn times! After seeing this video, I'm ok with it. Maybe by not being worried about it, it won't happen.........Hopefully. Anyway, thanks for sharing your video.

All the Best,..........Ride On
Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
Watch and learn from Mr Munson.

R1200GSA

K1200LTC
Tony Quick
Sanford, NC
post #17 of 21 Old Jul 11th, 2007, 4:22 pm

Excellent! He makes it look easy.

Cheers,
DaleB

2007 K1200LT
post #18 of 21 Old Jul 11th, 2007, 5:08 pm

Garage
it IS easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleB
Excellent! He makes it look easy.

In a drop to the right, I was able to pick mine up unassisted with much less effort than I thought. I did use the "proper" technique as outlined in Munson's video. Works quite smoothly.

Heracleitus

'12 Victory Cross Country Vivian Vader
'07 LT
die Blau Frau SOLD!
MBW-MOA Member #140221
post #19 of 21 Old Jul 11th, 2007, 5:15 pm

Angry Yes, last evening

in the dark, I put my foot down at the end of my driveway on some gravel that had found its way there, and over it went. i had the option of taking the car to work and leaving the bike there for all to see, (did consider it) or pick it up and continue on to work. Which after a couple attempts She came up and off to work I went.

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #20 of 21 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 4:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Prolly 'bout as bad as your droppage rate after picking up your scoot in the Northwet and running back to Houston, IIRC. Don't I remember you approaching double digits on the fall-down-go-ouch scale!!! I'd say you got it out of your system with that trip!!

Course I'm not too far behind your count!! No confessions here tho!!

Best.

Not me.. I have never been to the Northwest, nor have I ever dropped my LT. No double digits fall -down-go-ouch for me. Must be thinking of someone else.
post #21 of 21 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 4:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briantime
... coupled with the fear that I would push it too far and have it fall over on the other side..anyone ever done that?
Actually, yeah! But not with the LT. Around 1991 I had a 1983 Yamaha Venture, this was the first year of the Gen 1 version...thinking back it was VERY close in appearance to the LT except for the motor that was (and still is) a de-tuned V-Max mill.

In any case I was pulling out of the driveway when a car came out of a blind spot at just the wrong second...bars over hard, barely moving, grab front brake (feet weren't all the way off the ground yet)...splat!
I looked up and there was a group of girl scouts at the end of the road planting flowers in the traffic island. I was, of course, very embarassed so I picked it up too fast and literally flipped it right over onto the other side! Nothing hurt but my pride

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in