Bike won't start - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 8:06 pm Thread Starter

Bike won't start

Hola guys. Looked for help but did not find the answer.

I just got through installing an extra lead for the autocom to the stereo and had the key turned on and off a bunch. HID light and radio with it. We finished up and my buddy left so I figured I would run down the road and back and listen to some music in the helmet. Backed the bike out and turned the key on. No neutral light and the gear indicator is showing 0. I have lights, blinkers, and music but the bike will not start. I rolled the rear wheel and put it in reverse. Wheel stops rolling and no "R" on the dash. I can change the gears and the indicator works but no pretty green light. I have the "break Failure" light flashing and the Battery and Oil light on after it cycles.
Could my battery be low? It is a PC 680 and next month it will be two years old. No battery tender and I am in South Texas so I ride all year long. I checked it and got 11.93 volts but that was after turning it on and off. It's on a charger now.
Where should I start looking?

"BONES" <///><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 8:10 pm

I'm no LT expert but another thread, mentioned the other day, put 12 volts as discharged.

I hope the charger does the trick.
Curt

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #3 of 37 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 8:38 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

BONES Sounds like a low battery to me. see that's what ya get for BRAGGIN about no tender last satiday Sorry had ta say it

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 37 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 9:02 pm Thread Starter

Hola Curt and Steve. Thanks for the replies.

Still more questions are a coming.
I put it on a six amp charger and it's down to two amps not. I still have no neutral light. Would a low battery do that? Is there a fuse that would need to be checked?

"BONES" <///><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #5 of 37 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 9:03 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
BONES Sounds like a low battery to me. see that's what ya get for BRAGGIN about no tender last satiday Sorry had ta say it
Yes, that hurt!

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

post #6 of 37 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 9:20 pm Thread Starter

One hour later and I try to jump the bike off from the car. No luck. Battery on the volt meter is 12.46 so I know (OK...think) it is charged up. On the charger it was down to 1.5 volts.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

post #7 of 37 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 9:34 pm

Hey Bones, just some thoughts:

If you had the battery leads off the bike, did you get them all back on?

I've done this one: pulled fuse #4 while playing with the bike to reset the TPS and forgot to put it back in.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #8 of 37 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 9:39 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Hey Bones, just some thoughts:

If you had the battery leads off the bike, did you get them all back on?

I've done this one: pulled fuse #4 while playing with the bike to reset the TPS and forgot to put it back in.
Hola Grif. Yes, I had the neg. side off the battery but I just put an eye loop to ground the autocom. Everything went back in. I ran the hot side to fuse #2 and After the problems, I pulled #4 to check it (along with 1, 2, and 3) but put them all back in.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

post #9 of 37 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 9:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
Hola Grif. Yes, I had the neg. side off the battery but I just put an eye loop to ground the autocom. Everything went back in. I ran the hot side to fuse #2 and After the problems, I pulled #4 to check it (along with 1, 2, and 3) but put them all back in.
You sure one of the grounds didn't slip off when the bolt was pulled? You might look down the back side of the battery.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #10 of 37 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 10:02 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
You sure one of the grounds didn't slip off when the bolt was pulled? You might look down the back side of the battery.
Yep. I just checked again and I only have one wire on the battery. It is two wires that come together with one eye loop.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

post #11 of 37 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 10:24 pm

Kill switch? Sorry, just had to throw it out there.
post #12 of 37 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 10:27 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_E
Kill switch? Sorry, just had to throw it out there.
Hey Big-E, I thought you were on the other side of the world right now. You got a computer out on that rig?
Yep, I have checked it over and over and over....

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

post #13 of 37 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 10:33 pm

3:30 am here, I'm at work now on Bioko Island, Equatorial Guenia.
post #14 of 37 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 10:38 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
3:30 am here, I'm at work now on Bioko Island, Equatorial Guenia.
Dang, I had to look that place up on google Earth just to see where it was at. My brother-in-law works south of you in Luanda, Angola. It's only 9:30pm here.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

post #15 of 37 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 10:45 pm

If you zoom in to the left of Malabo you'll see the gas plant on the point. The red roof buildings are the housing where we live. That picture is about 4 years old. This island could be a beautiful resort island if the government wouldn't be so corrupt.
post #16 of 37 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 11:06 pm

Quote:
Hola guys. Looked for help but did not find the answer.

Could my battery be low? It is a PC 680 and next month it will be two years old. No battery tender and I am in South Texas so I ride all year long. I checked it and got 11.93 volts but that was after turning it on and off. It's on a charger now.
Where should I start looking?
You got an alarm on that thang???
post #17 of 37 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 11:15 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
You got an alarm on that thang???
Hola Dick. Yep, I just checked and the alarm works. I pushed the button and it flashed, pushed it again and it flashed and beeped. Still no worky
We might be a bit late to lunch. We will mess with it at first light and I have a doubt that we will pull outta here by 8:00am. Might be in the car if we cannot get her to start.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

post #18 of 37 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 11:24 pm

Tried with the clutch pulled in? That would rule out anything with the gears. Sure a wire is not off the battery & feel out of site? Pulling the clutch should also rule out the side stand switch.
post #19 of 37 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 11:31 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Tried with the clutch pulled in? That would rule out anything with the gears. Sure a wire is not off the battery & feel out of site? Pulling the clutch should also rule out the side stand switch.
Yrs, I pulled in the clutch but still no luck. It's like the kill switch is off. All the lights work and the brake motor goes through it's start up. Just no green light and no starting.
Off the wall question here. Is it possible that when we soldiered the Autocom wires to the speaker harness, it messed up something? I really do not see how it could but I am at a loss now. I think I'll go to bed and cry.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

post #20 of 37 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 11:39 pm

Next thing I would try is to push it off. It does sound like a kill switch.
post #21 of 37 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 11:50 pm

Make sure its not in reverse... like it needs to be in forward. Seems like I remember reading where some others have had a similar symptom when the bike was not in forward.
post #22 of 37 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 11:59 pm

Quote:
Yrs, I pulled in the clutch but still no luck. It's like the kill switch is off. All the lights work and the brake motor goes through it's start up. Just no green light and no starting.
Off the wall question here. Is it possible that when we soldiered the Autocom wires to the speaker harness, it messed up something? I really do not see how it could but I am at a loss now. I think I'll go to bed and cry.
Hey, Michael - you wanna do lunch near Grif's shoppe instead of going to Blanco. If you're coming in from Victoria, catch 1604 north and around to 281 north, then exit at 1863; go under the bridge and a left on the access road and look to your right -you'll see a cleaners, a Mexican restaurant and prolly Grif's scoot. The restaurant is really pretty good. Butt .... if you wanna do the bowling alley, that's ok too. Ping Steve or me (cell phone # is comin'atcha by PM) when you know 'bout what time you'll be in the 'hood, and where you're gonna eat groceries. I'm 30-40 minutes away from either place.
post #23 of 37 Old Jul 9th, 2007, 1:16 am

Didn't bump the reverse knob towards reverse did you? Might try putting it in reverse then back to forward.
post #24 of 37 Old Jul 9th, 2007, 8:00 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morley
Didn't bump the reverse knob towards reverse did you? Might try putting it in reverse then back to forward.
Hello. I checked that one also. Bike on centerstand, key on, spin the rear wheel and then put it i reverse. Wheel stops and I can hear the clunk. No reverse light on the dash. I have moved that know back and forth a bunch. Thanks.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

post #25 of 37 Old Jul 9th, 2007, 8:03 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hey, Michael - you wanna do lunch near Grif's shoppe instead of going to Blanco. If you're coming in from Victoria, catch 1604 north and around to 281 north, then exit at 1863; go under the bridge and a left on the access road and look to your right -you'll see a cleaners, a Mexican restaurant and prolly Grif's scoot. The restaurant is really pretty good. Butt .... if you wanna do the bowling alley, that's ok too. Ping Steve or me (cell phone # is comin'atcha by PM) when you know 'bout what time you'll be in the 'hood, and where you're gonna eat groceries. I'm 30-40 minutes away from either place.
Dick, I am gonna play with the fuses and then if no luck, jump in the car. I'll beep beep beep your phone and let you know something one way or another.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

post #26 of 37 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 10:24 am Thread Starter

Update

Well, I went to the hill country for our little get-a-way in the car. No love on the bike starting but I can say that we had a really good time.
Met Dick, Grif, and Steve for lunch Monday. Wednesday morning found us meeting Monty for breakfast (thanks Monty) and then slowly made our way home.
Ordered a new battery and it came in Yesterday. The Odyssey PC680 showed 12.86v right out of the box. I pulled tho old one out and dropped the new one in, hoked up the terminals, checked voltage again and turned the key on. Lights, brake servo noise but no luck with the neutral light. The new battery made no difference. I cussed, kicked, and had thoughts of Grif and a bag full of wet mice but that was no more fun either. I pulled every fuse I could find and they were all good. Trip to the auto store to buy new fuses just in case I could not see the blown fuse, came back and pulled one fuse and replaced it with a new fuse, no love. Out the old one back in and went to slot #2, no love all the way down.
After I did all that, I unhooked the Autocom and was going to take the tape off where we soldiered the wires on and picked up the round thing that has the audio wires in it. I unpluged the unit and looked inside, it looks good. There are three of those round plug in things so I unpluged the other two and pluged them back in. Key on and Blam, I got a green light. Woohoo! Bike starts right up!! I don't know what I did or even what happened but it's all good now.
Thanks guys for all the help and Steve, I got a battery tender now, OK, not that brand, it's a Yuasa and charges at 900mA instead on 750mA but it has the same features and it was here locally. Guess I'll use it.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

post #27 of 37 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 10:32 am

Well now, don't I feel like a fool, insisting it was the battery and all. Of course, that's nada new as it's SOP. The round thang you be referring to is one of the barrel connectors under the passenger seat by the trunk?

-=grif=-

Grok
post #28 of 37 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 10:40 am

Check your kill switch?
post #29 of 37 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 11:35 am Thread Starter

Quote:
The round thang you be referring to is one of the barrel connectors under the passenger seat by the trunk?
Yep, there are three of them. One on each side and one by the trunk.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

post #30 of 37 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 11:35 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcanup
Check your kill switch?
Over and over and over....

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

post #31 of 37 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 11:49 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Well, I went to the hill country for our little get-a-way in the car. No love on the bike starting but I can say that we had a really good time.
Met Dick, Grif, and Steve for lunch Monday. Wednesday morning found us meeting Monty for breakfast (thanks Monty) and then slowly made our way home.
Ordered a new battery and it came in Yesterday. The Odyssey PC680 showed 12.86v right out of the box. I pulled tho old one out and dropped the new one in, hoked up the terminals, checked voltage again and turned the key on. Lights, brake servo noise but no luck with the neutral light. The new battery made no difference. I cussed, kicked, and had thoughts of Grif and a bag full of wet mice but that was no more fun either. I pulled every fuse I could find and they were all good. Trip to the auto store to buy new fuses just in case I could not see the blown fuse, came back and pulled one fuse and replaced it with a new fuse, no love. Out the old one back in and went to slot #2, no love all the way down.
After I did all that, I unhooked the Autocom and was going to take the tape off where we soldiered the wires on and picked up the round thing that has the audio wires in it. I unpluged the unit and looked inside, it looks good. There are three of those round plug in things so I unpluged the other two and pluged them back in. Key on and Blam, I got a green light. Woohoo! Bike starts right up!! I don't know what I did or even what happened but it's all good now.
Thanks guys for all the help and Steve, I got a battery tender now, OK, not that brand, it's a Yuasa and charges at 900mA instead on 750mA but it has the same features and it was here locally. Guess I'll use it.
Well you should be set now But...... the key to a battery tender is to use it.

Stevie Shreeve
post #32 of 37 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 1:11 pm

Quote:
Nah, now he's gonna brag he has one and hasn't ever used it.

Strange that a barrel connector in the back would do it. I'm thinking something to do with the wiring to the alarm??? Never run across this one before, then again, it's a new day and I didn't know what my name was till Sandar the mag called out, "hey, you old bastard....."

-=grif=-

Grok
post #33 of 37 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 3:04 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
<fingers in ears> blah, blah, blah<fingers out of ears>.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

post #34 of 37 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 3:08 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Nah, now he's gonna brag he has one and hasn't ever used it.

Strange that a barrel connector in the back would do it. I'm thinking something to do with the wiring to the alarm??? ."
Who would'ah thought? I guess the alarm has to reset internally? I push the are button and get the blinky, push it again and blinky and beep. O'h well, at least I got a green light now and if the rain gods take a nap, I will take a ride.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

post #35 of 37 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 3:15 pm

Quote:
O'h well, at least I got a green light now and if the rain gods take a nap, I will take a ride.
Lotsa luck there. I think Muns has been washing his bike again.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #36 of 37 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 3:23 pm

Quote:
Lotsa luck there. I think Muns has been washing his bike again.
I HAVE NOTTTTTTTT!!!!!

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #37 of 37 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 3:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by munson
I HAVE NOTTTTTTTT!!!!!
Oh. Ok, boys, put away the rope.

-=grif=-

Grok

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in