Trading in the LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 4:02 pm Thread Starter

Trading in the LT

Sad to say that I am trading in my '04 LT on a 'wing (go ahead...let me have it .

This is my 4th season with the LT and as we range further and further afield on our vacation trips it has become (painfully) obvious that the LT just doesn't fit me well. I have been a standard/cruiser rider for years and prefer an upright seating position, with a short reach for my size I just can't find a position on the LT that feels good for more than a few minutes. If only there were a way to adjust the handlebars without having to reinvent them...but alas! I love many things about the LT and will miss them, however the 'wing has a great many plusses of it's own and I plan to take advantage of them!

In any case I have put a deposit on an '07 ABS 'wing with a tentative plan to trade my LT. In the meantime there is a short window of opportunity here...if anyone in my area is looking for a used LT pretty well loaded please check the classifieds. I am getting a little above book for the trade, if anyone wants to offer me a better deal before delivery the dealer won't mind taking all cash instead!

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 4:08 pm

Will not let you have it.

The wing is a great motor. Had one in 01. Would buy another, but I am loyal to my LT. Good luck.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #3 of 17 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 4:16 pm

I ain't shy. I'll let you have it.

Traitor!

Hope it works out well for you and you are happy with it. The LT isn't for everyone and sometimes it takes a wise man to realize that.

Glad to have you a part of our LT family and just because you jumped ship on us doesn't mean we won't have anything to do with you. I think I speak for most of the others on here when I say that you are still welcome here. Come down when yo get that 'wing and we'll ride the Dragon.

B D R

post #4 of 17 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 5:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny
I ain't shy. I'll let you have it.

Traitor!

Hope it works out well for you and you are happy with it. The LT isn't for everyone and sometimes it takes a wise man to realize that.

Glad to have you a part of our LT family and just because you jumped ship on us doesn't mean we won't have anything to do with you. I think I speak for most of the others on here when I say that you are still welcome here. Come down when yo get that 'wing and we'll ride the Dragon.
Hmmmm...riding the dragon...I just found the backroads of West VA this year after spending my whole life in the North East. You know, the kind of roads where you see your own taillights in the corners? Now I've gotta learn to ride all over again!!!!

But seriously, I'll still be around, taking the unpopular side of the argument from time to time
post #5 of 17 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 7:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron82much
Sad to say that I am trading in my '04 LT on a 'wing (go ahead...let me have it .

This is my 4th season with the LT and as we range further and further afield on our vacation trips it has become (painfully) obvious that the LT just doesn't fit me well. I have been a standard/cruiser rider for years and prefer an upright seating position, with a short reach for my size I just can't find a position on the LT that feels good for more than a few minutes. If only there were a way to adjust the handlebars without having to reinvent them...but alas! I love many things about the LT and will miss them, however the 'wing has a great many plusses of it's own and I plan to take advantage of them!

In any case I have put a deposit on an '07 ABS 'wing with a tentative plan to trade my LT. In the meantime there is a short window of opportunity here...if anyone in my area is looking for a used LT pretty well loaded please check the classifieds. I am getting a little above book for the trade, if anyone wants to offer me a better deal before delivery the dealer won't mind taking all cash instead!

Thanks,
I't is not that big a deal to change bars, I wouldn't get rid of a bike on that account. It ain't noting but a metal tube.
The guy from AVS (Shawn)has a single side steering rudder, on his Fiero trike.
He took specs for the front end from my trike, but didn't like the 40' solid stock bars that I made.
You could lengthen them up and rearwards, may have to change some cables and wires.

Rock

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 7:05 pm

Try WV too!

Quote:
Hmmmm...riding the dragon...I just found the backroads of West VA this year after spending my whole life in the North East. You know, the kind of roads where you see your own taillights in the corners? Now I've gotta learn to ride all over again!!!!

But seriously, I'll still be around, taking the unpopular side of the argument from time to time
I grew up riding in WV and still miss it. Nothing like the hills throughout the state. Stay in touch, even though you're your on a Wing. It's always nice to hear from the other side. They are all bikes!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #7 of 17 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 7:10 pm

Ron, you gotta ride what works for you. I doubt you'll see anyone here who will be serious if they "criticize" you for riding a Gold Wing. What a great bike that is -- I did 4 test rides of a Wing before going with the LT, and I still want to take one out for an all-day ride now that I've got almost 2 years and 36k miles on my LT.

Good for you. With your dual LT/GW experience, maybe you'll convert a few of the Honda Faithful to the LT.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #8 of 17 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 7:38 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Ron, you gotta ride what works for you. I doubt you'll see anyone here who will be serious if they "criticize" you for riding a Gold Wing. What a great bike that is -- I did 4 test rides of a Wing before going with the LT, and I still want to take one out for an all-day ride now that I've got almost 2 years and 36k miles on my LT.

Good for you. With your dual LT/GW experience, maybe you'll convert a few of the Honda Faithful to the LT.
I'll still sing the praises of the LT whenevever it comes up! I do love the bike, it is just too tall and the configuration too "sport tourer" for my taste. Too each his own, ride what you love, etc. etc.

BTW, I have been lurking around the GW sites while agonizing over this decision and I have to say that, contrary to popular belief, there is mostly fair play given to the LT when the "which one should I buy" question is raised. Since they are Wing riders it is slanted a bit the other way, but very few have anything bad to say about the LT beyond it wasn't the bike for them.
post #9 of 17 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 8:19 pm

Quote:

Thanks,
Good Luck with your Wing -- I had been riding them for 15 years,with the most recent a 2002 and I just traded it in for a 07 LT. So far I love the LT, I've had it just over 5 weeks and have over 3500 miles on it. I find the riding position better for me and I have a short reach ( I'm only 5'7").
The one thing I don't like on the LT is the stock seat -- it plain sucks!!! and I guess I am still getting used to the higher center of gravity at slower speeds but it doesn't seem that bad. I don't know why I have read so many guys have tipped them over?? Any way good luck with your new Wing -- you'll have many many trouble free miles.
post #10 of 17 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 8:26 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithb
Good Luck with your Wing -- I had been riding them for 15 years,with the most recent a 2002 and I just traded it in for a 07 LT. So far I love the LT, I've had it just over 5 weeks and have over 3500 miles on it. I find the riding position better for me and I have a short reach ( I'm only 5'7").
The one thing I don't like on the LT is the stock seat -- it plain sucks!!! and I guess I am still getting used to the higher center of gravity at slower speeds but it doesn't seem that bad. I don't know why I have read so many guys have tipped them over?? Any way good luck with your new Wing -- you'll have many many trouble free miles.
Thanks! Remember, when it comes to dropping it...it's not if...it's when I hope you're going to be the exception to this rule!

I think if I was a sport biker I would find the sport touring configuration more comfortable. I have never liked the forward-leaning position and I guess I never will. Even though it's pretty subtle on the LT it's still there.

I suggest Rick Mayer for your seat, he did a fantastic job on mine.
post #11 of 17 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 8:34 pm

Quote:
Thanks! Remember, when it comes to dropping it...it's not if...it's when I hope you're going to be the exception to this rule!

I think if I was a sport biker I would find the sport touring configuration more comfortable. I ,have never liked the forward-leaning position and I guess I never will. Even though it's pretty subtle on the LT it's still there.

I suggest Rick Mayer for your seat, he did a fantastic job on mine.
I thought the same thing on my wings ( tipping them over ) but I never did -- I guess right now I'm not to intimidated about the higher center of gravity, it is a little higher than the wing, but it is also a little lighter.
I've look at the Mayer seat but I think I will wait until winter and get a new one -- right now I don't want to give up any riding and right now I have 2 trips planed with a total of over 8000 miles to do, I'll live with the stock seat and just complain about a sore butt.
post #12 of 17 Old Jul 9th, 2007, 8:43 am

Quote:
I think if I was a sport biker I would find the sport touring configuration more comfortable. I have never liked the forward-leaning position and I guess I never will. Even though it's pretty subtle on the LT it's still there.
This is a definite fact, 1st tech session at Howards place
one of the Mikes (there was a bunch of them) adjusted my bars while I sat on the bike.
Made a whole world of differance in the vibration and that LT buzz in the wrist and elbow joints.
Also removed that little nag where top of the shoulder meets the outer edge of your collar bone, you lean the weight on it without noticing.
Rock

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge

Rock

post #13 of 17 Old Jul 9th, 2007, 11:55 am

"fitment" or Ergos is why I bought the LT over the 'Wing. It's a great bike & I enjoyed the heck out of my '95 1500. After a two day test ride, I just couldn't get past the poor position offered for a tall rider - so I understand the issues.

Good luck on your new ride...
post #14 of 17 Old Jul 9th, 2007, 12:47 pm

Good luck with your new wing.
post #15 of 17 Old Jul 9th, 2007, 4:24 pm

Rock-
I think that was Mike from Pittsburgh.............NOT whoever that "Cheesecake Factory" Mike dork was.

"Mike"
post #16 of 17 Old Jul 9th, 2007, 5:08 pm

I understand, the GL appears designed for smaller riders. At 63 and 300 lbs, I could not ride my GL more that 75-80 miles without my knees killing me. The LT seems to accommodate my stature much better. Im sure youll be very happy with the GL. GOOD LUCK!

Galloway11
2005 Yellow KLT
post #17 of 17 Old Jul 9th, 2007, 8:16 pm

Good luck with your wing...

If the LT was for everyone by now it would be the only one for sale..

Riding comfortable helps you ride safe.. !

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in