Help me, please - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jul 7th, 2007, 11:33 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Help me, please

I installed my Garmin today and tapped power from the map light. I used the power from the top wire that operates the light continuously, not the dimming wire. I tested the GPS and it worked. Buttoned things up and then, no map light and no power to GPS. Took it all apart again, verified connections. Nothing loose or out of place. The trunk vanity light quit too. Only the dimming part of the map light works when the key is turned off. Help. I couldn't have blown a fuse, or the map light would have quit altogether, right? Please help; I leave on my trip in four days. You can't imagine my frustration after working on this all day!

Joe
05 Ocean Blue LT "Mein Byk"
14 Rolls Royce Ghost
16 GLE 63 S
99 CLK 320 Cabriolet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jul 7th, 2007, 11:42 pm

I would check all the fuses.. You would be surprised..
post #3 of 15 Old Jul 7th, 2007, 11:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by neodoc
I installed my Garmin today and tapped power from the map light. I used the power from the top wire that operates the light continuously, not the dimming wire. I tested the GPS and it worked. Buttoned things up and then, no map light and no power to GPS. Took it all apart again, verified connections. Nothing loose or out of place. The trunk vanity light quit too. Only the dimming part of the map light works when the key is turned off. Help. I couldn't have blown a fuse, or the map light would have quit altogether, right? Please help; I leave on my trip in four days. You can't imagine my frustration after working on this all day!
Joe - does your radio work? I'm not positive about the fuse dedications on the '05 LTs, butt on my '99, the bottom fuse in the middle fuse box (under the passenger seat, butt reachable by lifting the rider's seat) runs the radio, the reading lamp (map light) and the interior light in the top box (vanity light). HTH.

Last edited by Dick; Jul 7th, 2007 at 11:50 pm.

post #4 of 15 Old Jul 7th, 2007, 11:46 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Where did you tap for ground. I suspect you either have a blown fuse or a bad ground. Did the wiring for the GPS come with an inline fuse? I would check that. if not look at your ground connection and make sure it is solid. Other than that, if the GPS has an internal fuse, you may have blown that.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #5 of 15 Old Jul 7th, 2007, 11:56 pm Thread Starter

Garage
I used piggyback connectors (courtesy of Larry Schumer) and used the brown wire on the light as ground. Radio is dead too. Now I'm sure it must be a fuse. Could it be that the GPS draws more power than this circuit is designed for? Should I just tap directly into the battery?

Joe
14 Rolls Royce Ghost
16 GLE 63 S
99 CLK 320 Cabriolet

Last edited by neodoc; Jul 8th, 2007 at 12:04 am.
post #6 of 15 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 12:12 am
Senior Member (ret.)

I'm not familiar with the dimming light setup on the 05+ bikes and what wiring they have . Are there 3 wires to the light or just two?

Anyway, check the fuse under the seat. If blown, replace. If it blows again, tap into the front seat heater wire or the parking lamp. Replace fuse and test.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #7 of 15 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 12:17 am Thread Starter

Garage
Raffy:

There are three wires. I used the one that stays on all the time, instead of the dimming one. I'll check the fuse, replace it and try again with the seat heater power source. It seems that the GPS draws too much current from that circuit. Thanks for your help.

Joe
14 Rolls Royce Ghost
16 GLE 63 S
99 CLK 320 Cabriolet
post #8 of 15 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 12:27 am
Senior Member (ret.)

post #9 of 15 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 4:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by neodoc

Hi Joe ,
you must have blown fuse nr 4 in your fuse box nr 1 ( I guess it is the one on the outer side of the bike under the pillion seat.) The fuse is 7,5 A and at first I would change it to 10 A and see if it holds with the GPS. Don't go any higher amps with the fuse if it still blows.
(I still don't think the GPS draws that much amps in the first place.)

In 05 bikes there should be a dedicated GPS power feed socket which is hidden behind the three sockets that connect the radio stingray to the bike. (on the left side ride under the radio stingray.) In order to get access to this you have to strip both side panels and also the radio stingray. And still you have to look quite carefully unless you want to remove the dash panel as well...

If you don't succeed with this route you have to pull the power from the pillion seat heater and don't forget to put an inline fuse in the wire. Another way is to take the power directly from the battery, but that will create the risk of draining your battery when you forget to switch off the GPS.

Good luck

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures of various farkle projects:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 7:21 am Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you to all who have so quickly responded to my S.O.S.. I have to go round at the hospital this morning, but when I return, I'll see about making the necessary changes to get the project completed.

Joe
14 Rolls Royce Ghost
16 GLE 63 S
99 CLK 320 Cabriolet
post #11 of 15 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 3:23 pm

Cool

I'm still trying to figure out why you wouldn't wire the GPS directly to the battery. I prefer mine to be live at all times as many times I stop to refuel and don't want to interrupt my track. I also find it nice to be able to stop, shut off the engine and study the GPS without having to turn the key on. The two items I wired direct to the battery are the GPS and Autocom. This way I can stop, navigate and communicate with the key off. JMTC Oh, don't forget toturn this stuff off when you stop for the night! I also can't figure out why you would want the GPS on the handlebar where you have to look off to the side to see it. I mounted mine on top of the radio as I figured if that was good enough for BMW, it had to be good enough for me. I find I can still keep and eye on the road while the other is on the GPS. You'll be surprised at how much you will use it in strange territory. Again Just My Two Cents worth.

Craig

2000 K1200LTC "Little Turd"
2001 Harley Softail Deuce "Ground Pounder"
BMWMOA #113448
post #12 of 15 Old Jul 9th, 2007, 9:32 am Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offwego
I'm still trying to figure out why you wouldn't wire the GPS directly to the battery. I prefer mine to be live at all times as many times I stop to refuel and don't want to interrupt my track. I also find it nice to be able to stop, shut off the engine and study the GPS without having to turn the key on. The two items I wired direct to the battery are the GPS and Autocom. This way I can stop, navigate and communicate with the key off. JMTC Oh, don't forget toturn this stuff off when you stop for the night! I also can't figure out why you would want the GPS on the handlebar where you have to look off to the side to see it. I mounted mine on top of the radio as I figured if that was good enough for BMW, it had to be good enough for me. I find I can still keep and eye on the road while the other is on the GPS. You'll be surprised at how much you will use it in strange territory. Again Just My Two Cents worth.
Hi, Craig:

I wired the GPS to the map light because I already had too many things wired directly to the battery, namely PIAA lights, CB, Stebel Naultilus horn, Ducatti Designs headlight and my LEDs. It's not a rat's nest under the seat, as everything is neatly tiewrapped and easily identifiable, but, nevertheless, it was a bit much to put one more connector on the battery post. I'll eventually get a fuse box and re-do everything, but not right now. As far as the GPS, I didn't want to look down to see it. I'd have to move my whole head at times if I'm wearing my Nolan N102, instead of the N41, so I got a 5 in. RAM mount and put it on the right handlebar (the left has the CB). Since the arm is long, I have it close enough that my eyes travel less than when I look in the mirror, which, BTW, is not obstructed. This works for me. In addition, I used the wire that is always on, so I too can use the GPS without turning the key on. My CB/Intercom is like this as well. I appreciate your suggestions, and I'm happy to report that the GPS is working fine and the fuse is intact. I replaced it and went back over all the connections and came to the conclusion that I must have touched the connection on the light with the screwdriver as I was putting the dash cover screw back on. Those have been secured and further insulated so I think I'm good to go. My only regret is not having enough time to figure out how to install the integration unit on my CB so I can hear the GPS voice prompts/mp3 player through the headsets. Oh well, that will be another project.

Joe
14 Rolls Royce Ghost
16 GLE 63 S
99 CLK 320 Cabriolet
post #13 of 15 Old Jul 9th, 2007, 9:51 am

Talking Good deal!

As long as you got it to work, then that's a good deal! Hope you enjoy your summer fun to the North. Ride carefully. I guess you'll be trailering up? When you get back, count me in on your "Tech Session" Change the Salsa music to just Salsa and chips!

Craig

2000 K1200LTC "Little Turd"
2001 Harley Softail Deuce "Ground Pounder"
BMWMOA #113448
post #14 of 15 Old Jul 9th, 2007, 1:19 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offwego
As long as you got it to work, then that's a good deal! Hope you enjoy your summer fun to the North. Ride carefully. I guess you'll be trailering up? When you get back, count me in on your "Tech Session" Change the Salsa music to just Salsa and chips!
Yes, I am trailering up to Sanford, FL, where we will be catching the AmTrak Auto Train to Lofton, VA, where we'll off load. There will be 12 bikes in all and the "support vehicle" (my truck and its trailer pictured in the gallery.) I'm taking my parents along and they'll be driving the truck. If I need to, I can always put the bike up and drive for a while. Best of both worlds, I think. We'll be going to NYC, Lake George, Niagara Falls, and eventually back down to DC. Should be nice. I'll let you know. As far as the Tech Session, salsa and chips it is.

Joe
14 Rolls Royce Ghost
16 GLE 63 S
99 CLK 320 Cabriolet
post #15 of 15 Old Jul 9th, 2007, 2:34 pm

Sounds like a great trip Joe. Tell your parents Stephanie and I said hello. I did'nt see you on the CCR attendee list so I assume you can't make it. Have a great time take lots of pics.

Pat Lynch
'07 K1200LT
'03 K1200LTE (Gone)
La Salle, MI
15 mi N. of Toledo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in