Big Blue Bike Lift - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Jul 7th, 2007, 6:27 pm Thread Starter

Big Blue Bike Lift

As some of you may be aware I have to change my gearbox and I was not looking forward to rolling around the garage floor so decided to invest in a bike lift. I do not really have the space for the table type lifts and the Big Blue had caught my eye. A couple of emails to the manufacturers to clear up a few details and it was on it's way and arrived the next day. Dave then called me to explain how the specific mounts for the K1200lt worked. Excellent service.

The lift is shipped as 3 main components in 2 large cardboard boxes. It took me about half an hour to assemble the lift and the fit and finish is first class.

The K1200LT mounting kit is an adaptation of the foot peg mounting kit (http://on-bike.com/mounts_options.htm) and has uprights that locate into the 16 mm hole in the frame above the passenger footrests - the holes that you would use to undo the long bolt that secures the gearbox to the frame. David sent 2 front mounts (they are actually Multi-mounts) as they place the bike at different angles on the lift. The person that had helped David develop the lift preferred the taller of the 2 and I soon found out why. The lower and wider of the 2 mounts will cover part of the oil filter cover and the tip over wing will interfere with the lift support arm. I imagine that the taller slimmer mount will avoid these issues but have not tried it yet. If you use this mount you have to remove or bend back the tabs or you could fill the void with a piece of wood.

Getting the bike attached to the lift was very easy. Firstly offer up the rear mount and get it centred. Secure the side that will be nearest the lift and mark the position of the outside leg. Slide the assembly on to the lifting arm and secure. Place the bike on the sidestand where you want it lifted from and slide the lift in towars the bike. Adjust the height of the lifting arm so that the peg lines up with the hole. Now stand the bike upright and move the bike backwards or forwards as required. Push or pull the lift the last couple of inches until the peg is fully home and then fit the other upright. The bike is fairly stable in this position so there is no panic to fit the upright.

Check the bike is square on the lift and the front mount is in the right position and you are ready to lift the bike. Once the bike is off the ground the bike is not rock solid - there is a bit of movement but once the slack is taken up I have no qualms about applying a lot of pressure to any stubborn nuts though it is advisable to loosen any fittings that you know will be stuborn before lifting (swing arm bolts?).

Overall I am very happy with the lift and here are a couple of photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	left_side.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	429.2 KB
ID:	12985   Click image for larger version

Name:	front_of_lift.jpg
Views:	736
Size:	382.0 KB
ID:	12986   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lift.jpg
Views:	1842
Size:	457.6 KB
ID:	12987  

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Jul 7th, 2007, 10:01 pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamw
The person that had helped David develop the lift preferred the taller of the 2 and I soon found out why. The lower and wider of the 2 mounts will cover part of the oil filter cover and the tip over wing will interfere with the lift support arm. I imagine that the taller slimmer mount will avoid these issues but have not tried it yet.
I also purchased the front wheel mount to avoid this issue. If I need to pull both wheels I use a multi mount at the front of the engine. If I am working on the engine I use the front wheel mount.

I also have the rail mount for my HD. I purchased my R1200GS after I bought my lift. I believe the standard multi mounts will work it but I haven't needed to do any work on the GS yet.

I like the lift for it's compact design and the height it can lift the bikes. Being able to work directly under the bike is also a plus. It certainly is pricey but everything looks to be built to last a lifetime and then some.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in