BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Busted left mirror... Thor strikes???

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  powwow 
#1 ·
Howdy..
Let's see if I can control my emotions on this....

Attempted removal of mirror glass from the left Mirror assembly...

Just as it "popped" out, the glass cracked... I then noticed the ring had pulled free of the mounting.. meaning the mount/pivot assembly is broken and needing replacement.

So, I've seen a post that has the "adjustment assembly"... mounted with 3 screws... I just need one..

I got a used mirror from Howard a few months back and SHOULD have attempted teh removal using that one. but, nooooooooo that was too easy!!!!! I suppose I can at least pull the adjuster out of Howard's mirror...

Does anyone have the actual p/n of the mirror and adjustment part?

Geeez... Thor really gets out of "hand" sometimes...

#2 ·
cfell said:
Howdy..
Let's see if I can control my emotions on this....

Does anyone have the actual p/n of the mirror and adjustment part?

Geeez... Thor really gets out of "hand" sometimes...
Hey, Thor - you talking about the round cup-like thangie that has the crossarm bar in it? If so, it's # are/wuz/iz: 51 16 2 347 188. And you need a left mirror too? Sheeesh. Well, I've got two mirrors around here somewhere, butt I betcha they're both for the right side!! :rolleyes: Lemme look tamale and if one of 'em is for the left, it's yours. Remind me, if you haven't heard from me by noon - I gotta go sleep now and you know what that means? :sleep: New world'll be a dawnin'!!! ;)

#5 ·
cfell said:
Thanks for the quick reply guys.. Dick.. I do need the little round thingy.. and the glass..

Howard... other things have been "pressing" for my time... now I've got to do Sumpthin' !!!
OK - I'll look for the mirrors tamale. I just gave the leetle round thangie away coupla weeks ago - :eek: - sorry.

#6 ·
Hi Dick,
Speaking of mirrors, if you have a right mirror laying around I would be happy to purchase it from you. Thanks.

#7 · (Edited)
Channing,

I had a bad feeling about the hammer lying on the work bench as I left yesterday. The mirror glass is surprisingly inexpensive (~$25) from Lonestar. I replaced one last year and they had it in stock.

#8 ·
pickerbiker said:
Hi Dick,
Speaking of mirrors, if you have a right mirror laying around I would be happy to purchase it from you. Thanks.
Yup, Larry. Have a right mirror - just the glass only, with the backing and tabbed connector circle. You'll need the round cup thangie to stick it onto; you prolly know that.

Anyway, just PM me your snail mail addy and I can drop it in the mail today. No charge - just do a *pass it forward* act when you find someone you can help, sometime.

Best Regards.

#9 ·
cfell said:
Thanks for the quick reply guys.. Dick.. I do need the little round thingy.. and the glass..

Howard... other things have been "pressing" for my time... now I've got to do Sumpthin' !!!
Rattzlefratz, Channing - both of 'em are the right side mirrors. Sorry, Bud. Hope Lone Star has one in stock for what Alan paid. Gonna be a shocker if you ax 'em for a quote on the round-cup thangie, with the crossbar!! :eek:

#10 ·
Dick said:
Yup, Larry. Have a right mirror - just the glass only, with the backing and tabbed connector circle. You'll need the round cup thangie to stick it onto; you prolly know that.

Anyway, just PM me your snail mail addy and I can drop it in the mail today. No charge - just do a *pass it forward* act when you find someone you can help, sometime.

Best Regards.
Dick, I have a set of glasses available. I will also be in Seattle tomorrow-Saturday. If Larry wants to meet me I will bring the set with me. No charge.

dan

#11 ·
Dick said:
Rattzlefratz, Channing - both of 'em are the right side mirrors. Sorry, Bud. Hope Lone Star has one in stock for what Alan paid. Gonna be a shocker if you ax 'em for a quote on the round-cup thangie, with the crossbar!! :eek:
Channing, I have another set of glasses and a round-thingie you are welcome too. Just PM me an address. Leaving tomorrow morning.

dan

#12 ·
Dick, I need the entire mirror, not just the glass. I checked beemer boneyard as well, but no luck. Guess I'll just have to suck it up and order one. Thanks anyway.

#13 ·
pickerbiker said:
Dick, I need the entire mirror, not just the glass. I checked beemer boneyard as well, but no luck. Guess I'll just have to suck it up and order one. Thanks anyway.
Just be ready for sticker shock. if you have the chrome package get ready for close to 4 bills, if black trim just under $200.00 I know this from experience :eek:

#14 · (Edited)
Hey Thor,
I've got left mirror assembly complete without glass, but it needs some assembly. The cross bar has popped out of the round thingy, but nothing is broken, so you may be able to salvage it.
Let me know if I need to bring it in to work tomorrow.

#15 ·
katnapinn said:
Just be ready for sticker shock. if you have the chrome package get ready for close to 4 bills, if black trim just under $200.00 I know this from experience :eek:
mmmm...maybe I'll just use the scratched one a little while longer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.