Rick Mayer review. Buy a cheeseburger, get a free seat. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 12:19 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Rick Mayer review. Buy a cheeseburger, get a free seat.

I did a ride-in at Rick Mayer's in Anderson, CA to get a custom saddle for my LT. Only 200 miles to ride, and I couldn't wait the 4-6 weeks lead time to get a new seat. By the way, the stock seat had me squirming by the time I got to the shop; as usual, I had to stop once an hour to get the blood flowing properly in my posterior region.

Observations:

1. If you live anywhere within riding distance (or are always looking for an excuse to ride), RIDE IN is the way to go, no matter who you buy your seat from. It was great hanging around with the other riding enthusiasts waiting for their seats, and swapping ride stories and wisdom. FWIW the other 4 bikes with ride-ins this day were all BMW. That tells me two things - Beemer riders are willing to shell out the dough for a great seat - and BMW stock seats suck (that right there may not be a "news flash" to many!). The bikes I saw were 1 LT (mine), 3 GS, 1 RT.

2. It was interesting watching the seat being made. As we all know, after seeing how it's done on the LT, you may say to yourself, "Wow, I could have done that!". I didn't find myself saying that...

3. When I first tried to contact Rick with questions about his seat, it took a few days to get a response. My first impression was, "Wow, this guy isn't on the ball at all when it comes to closing a deal!" If you want to talk to Rick, you must be patient - that's because he puts a lot of time into each customer's experience - I saw that first hand. During conversation while at his shop, I also learned that he's not a real "computer guy", so email is not his bag. You're spending a lot of money - and he uses his time to take care of customers, not POTENTIAL customers. Besides, his web site answers any questions you might have.

4. The service: They have a great waiting area; cool, plenty to drink, and at lunch time some first class cheeseburgers and fries arrived (I'm not kidding, better than home made). I was joking with Rick that along with the $700.00 burger, he threw in a seat (driver seat and passenger, and backrest). Rick and his entire crew are first rate, friendly people, and true craftsmen.

5. The SEAT. WOW! What a difference - I went non-stop home (except for fuel) from the shop. Since then, I can go a full tank without wanting to dismount. Of course I do get off to enjoy a great view...

Overall: If you're thinking about replacing your OEM seat, DO IT. There are many great builders out there (my brother loves his Corbin), and this isn't meant to single out Rick Mayer as the "Guru of the Gluteus". Just trying to let everyone know what my new favorite farkle is!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]-

Last edited by hallzee; Jun 22nd, 2007 at 3:09 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 12:57 pm

Did the same with his brother Rocky in Ojai. Great people and just a awesome place to hang out. Love seat also.....

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34 14 12.63 N
119 01 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.
post #3 of 9 Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 2:55 pm

I've had a couple of those cheeseburgers at Rick's; one came with a seat for my RT and one for my LT. I believe there will be one of his seats on every bike I ever own, and riding in is always preferable. BTW, if you ride in to Hollister you get a free Corbin seat with a $500 breakfast. I had three such breakfasts on previous bikes and loved them, but I found Rick's seats to be even more to my liking.

Fred Jewell
No longer president, River City Beemers
2009 R1200RT - Silver

BMWMOA #123779
BMWRA #38714
IBA #24559

"Shadowboxing the apocalypse, wandering the land"

post #4 of 9 Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 4:38 pm
Some guy on the Interwebs

I had been a Corbin guy on prior bikes, but when I bought my first BMW, an LT, the HDDC all recommended Rick. So off to Rick's I went. I too had a great time, and got the perfect seat. The GS I bought has Corbin seats, but they're not long for the bike as I now prefer Rick's creations. And he does spend whatever time it takes to make you fully happy with your purchase.

Hal
Lodi, California

If you aren't good for anything else, you can always serve as a bad example.

HDDC Posse

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 5:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I saw Rick at the Chief Joseph rally last weekend...........
Getting around pretty good after that unplanned get off.............

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 8:32 pm

Talking

How much without the cheese?

Craig

2000 K1200LTC "Little Turd"
2001 Harley Softail Deuce "Ground Pounder"
BMWMOA #113448
post #7 of 9 Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 9:25 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARFIGHTER
I saw Rick at the Chief Joseph rally last weekend...........
Getting around pretty good after that unplanned get off.............
Yeah - he showed me his leathers, and the "Custom Tailoring" the medical crew did when they cut them off of him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offwego
How much without the cheese?
Actually, the cheese is at no extra charge!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]-
post #8 of 9 Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 10:33 am

I have a Rick Mayer front/rear seat on my LT he made 1.5 years ago. Unfortunately, this was done when he was moving his shop location and I think this caused a lot of confusion for him. My original seat was a factory lowered seat and the pictures I sent him were of me on that seat. The seat I received back was built on a different seat/pan than the one I sent in. I also had a backrest sent from the manufacturer to Rick for covering and that didn't get installed. However, he covered shipping back/forth to Redding for installation of the backrest and that works great. I don't have the ideal seat that I'd like, however I am planning a ride to Reno this summer and will run up to Redding for a ride-in and he'll make it right. Shit happens. Quality is top notch.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #9 of 9 Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 2:51 pm

I have the first Rick's seat for K1200LT in 1999 and that was my first add-on on my 2002 LT, and my first add-on on my 2003 GS.

Sometimes it didn't get right at the first time, but he is always ready to make it work and it does.

3 bikes and 3 custom seats made by him.

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in