BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Cosmetic Surgury to plastic

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  KHLT 
#1 ·
I want to mount a Zumo GPS to the left handlebar. I've ordered a replacement clutch reservoir cover that has a ball mount appendage, but delivery has been delayed twice. I'm setting off on a 3,000 trip the end of the month and certainly want the GPS on board by then.

There is an alternative option. Beneath the handlebar plastic is the standard diameter handlebar. I have the Zumo provided ball mount that connects to it with a u-bolt. I can cut off a small section of the plastic to install this part. Doing this would save me the $85 that the clutch cover will cost.

My question is whether cutting the plastic would be considered a big no-no, either from a functional or esthetic perspective. I'd appreciate your opinions. :confused:

#4 · (Edited)
I have this with me and it is no need to drill or use glue.
GPS have a carrier loop I hook it at the bar as flexible move (will not disturb your driving) if it take off from the sucker of position(dashboard). :D :histerica you can still have the GPS with you.
And when I leave my bike I took GPS with me.
The only thing is you need to do is keep the sucker wet when you attached it and carry the GPS with you when you are away of it.

Attachments

#6 ·
Nice pice of harware, KHLT. Who makes it and where can it be purchased? Do you run your GPS unit with its battery, or do you have a power source cable we can't see in the picture?

#7 ·
I don't like to cut the handlebar so I find this mobile phone holder use for car windshield instead.
Garmin 60CS is running on battery which I have rechargeable NiMH 4 pcs with me which can be stand for one day run for me.
And you can find battery easily if you need.
Zumo that have their specify holder set for bike but as me that I don't like to destruct the original handlebar.
I would like to suggestion use the holder set for car which with sucker and put as my position or on the side windshield connect with power supply. :D
In fact the Garmin function for road plan that I am not satisfy make me hesitate to have it.
But if I am lost my mind I will get a Zumo 550 which they said can be connect to mobile phone and alert of the camera flash to the bluetooth earphone that as a console.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.