Antilock Lights Flashing - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old May 29th, 2007, 11:20 am Thread Starter

Antilock Lights Flashing

I just had to replace my rear caliper and antilock brake sensor on my 2000 K1200LT. I bought both used from eBay. Everything went smoothly and I checked the gap on the sensor. I started the bike on the center stand and as usual the antilock lights started flashing. However, they never went off. I put it in gear on the stand since normally they go off half-way up the street. But they keep flashing.

Does this mean my sensor is bad, or is there some reset procedure I need to go through?

Cheers - Jack
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old May 29th, 2007, 11:27 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by acs5166
I just had to replace my rear caliper and antilock brake sensor on my 2000 K1200LT. I bought both used from eBay. Everything went smoothly and I checked the gap on the sensor. I started the bike on the center stand and as usual the antilock lights started flashing. However, they never went off. I put it in gear on the stand since normally they go off half-way up the street. But they keep flashing.

Does this mean my sensor is bad, or is there some reset procedure I need to go through?
Try riding it.
The ABS synchronization/diagnosis wants both wheels to be turning. Not surprised it doesn't work with only the rear wheel spinning.
You might also make sure both fluid reservoirs under the passenger seat are full.

-Brian Louw
Arroyo Grande, CA.

2013 K1600GT - Light Grey Metallic
2016 R1200GSA
post #3 of 10 Old May 29th, 2007, 11:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by blouw
Try riding it. The ABS synchronization/diagnosis wants both wheels to be turning. Not surprised it doesn't work with only the rear wheel spinning.
Agree. Just don't ride it off the center stand and expect the ABS to reset. Ask me how I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blouw
You might also make sure both fluid reservoirs under the passenger seat are full.
Don't think this one applies to an '00 model.

Ride On!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'13 SILVA K1600GTL

post #4 of 10 Old May 29th, 2007, 11:54 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The older ABS II system faults can only be rest by the dealer. You most likely have fixed the problem but a quick visit to the dealer is in order to get the fault reset. The newer (integral) systems will clear a fault on its own once fixed.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #5 of 10 Old May 29th, 2007, 12:33 pm

Oops, reset may be a bad word. How about "set"? He has not ridden the bike yet so no one knows whether there is an actual "fault".

Ride On!

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"

'13 SILVA K1600GTL
post #6 of 10 Old May 29th, 2007, 1:50 pm

Flashing abs lights

Jack
How are they flashing?
Back and forth or together?
Together means JUST RIDE IT ,. you have to ride so both sensors are reading on both wheels
back and forth could mean low battery or faults in the ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by acs5166

Tim In Portland

2000 Lt Icon
"Ike"

post #7 of 10 Old May 29th, 2007, 3:15 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I guess we really should have asked WHY did you replace the caliper and sensor in the first place? Was there a fault? Other wise just drive it a bit and see if it clears normally.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #8 of 10 Old May 29th, 2007, 3:18 pm Thread Starter

Tim - They are flashing back and forth. I just charged my battery, so that should be OK. I just put in new brake fluid so that should be OK also (I'll recheck this).

-- Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsBMWminer

Jack
How are they flashing?
Back and forth or together?
Together means JUST RIDE IT ,. you have to ride so both sensors are reading on both wheels
back and forth could mean low battery or faults in the ABS

Cheers - Jack
post #9 of 10 Old May 29th, 2007, 3:24 pm Thread Starter

Ah - good question. My rear drive went last fall while I was riding. I had to ride it for a while with the rear wheel wobbling. The end result was that it melted the ABS sensor and slightly messed up my brake caliper (i.e. scraped some metal off onto the brake rotor) I found a used caliper complete with ABS sensor on eBay for a reasonable price, and installed it. I am also doing some electrical work (speedo MPH fix, new heated grips, move XM radio) so the bike has been in parts in my garage since October and I'm dying to get it going again.

-- Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
I guess we really should have asked WHY did you replace the caliper and sensor in the first place? Was there a fault? Other wise just drive it a bit and see if it clears normally.

Cheers - Jack
post #10 of 10 Old May 29th, 2007, 3:32 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Ok, I seem to remember that post. You most likely will have to get it reset by the dealer if it does not clear on the road test. There are no fluid level sensors in your system. Let us know if it clears on the road test.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in