Throttle Cable adjustment - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old May 29th, 2007, 6:44 am Thread Starter

New Style Throttle Cable adjustment procedure needed

Hi all,
does anyone have the correct procedure for the new cables with molded elbows? The procedure shown in the clymer manuals does NOT work on the new cables.

With the new design cables there is no way to check "free play" at the hand grip since with these cables, the adjustment is molded to the elbow. I spent a couple hours trying different methods to get the cruise to work and finally gave up in hopes of finding an answer here. It almost seems like the close cable is to short as does not allow any freeplay. The slightest adjustment starts to turn the throttle. I.e. you have more roll back spring tension and the switch closes on the TB's.

Thanks from a baffled wrench flipper

P.S. New cables are smooooooooth.

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT

Last edited by bigbear; May 29th, 2007 at 7:46 am. Reason: Title change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old May 29th, 2007, 11:38 am
was

Here's a thread that I found helpful, particularly the .pdf file in the last post: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4009 . I can't help you much with tips on the adjustment; when I installed the new cables they needed no adjustment and the CC worked fine. If your close cable seems too tight I think you have an issue with the routing of the cable(s) or binding where they are attached to frame points. Good luck.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #3 of 14 Old May 29th, 2007, 6:23 pm

Smile Here are my observations

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear
Hi all,
does anyone have the correct procedure for the new cables with molded elbows? The procedure shown in the clymer manuals does NOT work on the new cables.

With the new design cables there is no way to check "free play" at the hand grip since with these cables, the adjustment is molded to the elbow. I spent a couple hours trying different methods to get the cruise to work and finally gave up in hopes of finding an answer here. It almost seems like the close cable is to short as does not allow any freeplay. The slightest adjustment starts to turn the throttle. I.e. you have more roll back spring tension and the switch closes on the TB's.

Thanks from a baffled wrench flipper

P.S. New cables are smooooooooth.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Throttle cable replacement observations 100806.doc (23.5 KB, 178 views)

looking around for a possible replacement

2001 K1200 LTC Mauve (Hi-Way Star) may she rest in peace!

CCR'2001 Hotsprings, AR., Sante Fe, NM., Gatlinberg, TN.
Breckinridge, CO., Grand Teton Nat. Prk, WY.
Chateau Elan, GA., Tan-a-Tar-A missed it!

post #4 of 14 Old May 30th, 2007, 6:22 am Thread Starter

Bill & John,
thanks for the replies.

Bill the information you referenced gives some excellent pointers on where and how to secure the cables. My original were not secured this way so replacements are not either yet. NOTE: This information does not cover the latest cable design which is part numbers; 327 376 944 90 - Throttle
327 376 944 91 - Acc. Cable 327 276 919 90 - Repair Kit

John, it sounds like you have the same cables I do so if they work for you they should work for me. Will have to dig into the ol' Hoss again and see what I find.

Roy

Roy Gregersen

85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #5 of 14 Old May 30th, 2007, 6:48 am
was

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear
NOTE: This information does not cover the latest cable design which is part numbers; 327 376 944 90 - Throttle
327 376 944 91 - Acc. Cable 327 276 919 90 - Repair Kit
Yup, you're right. This route was for the first replacement to the original OEMs. It worked for me when I put on the '05+ cables, however.

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #6 of 14 Old May 30th, 2007, 11:17 am Thread Starter

I talked to the dealer that I purchased these cables from and they are sending me some form of literature on cable installation. Will wait and see if it is different that what has been posted to date.

Thanks again

Roy

Roy Gregersen

85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #7 of 14 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 6:53 am Thread Starter

Throttle Cable Update

I finally got some time to work on Ol' Hoss again. Took the left side panel off and triple checked the cable routing. Took the handle bar cover off and also triple checked the routing. No matter what I did I can not get the cables adjusted so the cruise will work. Dug out the Clymer manual and looked through the wiring diagram and made the decision to disconnect the switch on the "close cable". Took the bike for a test ride and cruise now works. This conforms that it is the "Roll Off" switch on the "Close Cable" causing the problem.

Some additional information:
Both adjusters as short as they will go and there is still very little free play in either cable.

Throttle works smoothly, engine does not change RPM when turning bars from full lock left to full lock right.

I followed the routing diagrams from the 03 service bulletin and also taped the new cables to the old when I installed them. I am 99.99% sure the routing is correct

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Will leaving the switch unplugged cause any long term problems? NOTE: I do not see this as a safety hazard since either brake or the clutch still cancels the cruise.

Roy Gregersen

85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #8 of 14 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 10:22 am
was

I'm out of my league here, Roy, so double-check the following with someone knowledgeable! First, it is possible to adjust the switch on the close cable down near the throttle rail, but I don't know what the gap should be or under what conditions (throttle open? Throttle closed?) one would measure it (I don't even have a clue under what conditions the switch opens and closes.) Second, I think I have read on this site somewhere that it is possible to adjust the position of the brake/switch housing on the handlebar. If you could move that assembly forward it might give you the room to make the freeplay adjustment in the close cable. This assumes that the throttle grip and pulley assembly also could move forward. I'm guessing that you would not need more than 1/4 inch or so. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #9 of 14 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 2:37 pm Thread Starter

Bill,
from memory, and it is old and feeble, there is little or no adjustment of the switch where it mounts to the throttle body bracket. On the Close cable a spring goes over the cable which goes through a bracket and an E-Clip holds the cable in place. Rolling off of the throttle pulls on the close cable and activates the cruise cancel switch. Moving the hand grip in will not provide more slack with these newer design cables. The elbow on the end of the cable is molded to the cable housing. All they have is the screw adjustemnt on hand grip end.

Thanks for the ideas but at this time I am going to ride with the switch unplugged until told it will harm other components.

Roy

Roy Gregersen

85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #10 of 14 Old Sep 2nd, 2015, 5:52 pm

Re: Throttle Cable Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
No matter what I did I can not get the cables adjusted so the cruise will work. Dug out the Clymer manual and looked through the wiring diagram and made the decision to disconnect the switch on the "close cable". Took the bike for a test ride and cruise now works. This conforms that it is the "Roll Off" switch on the "Close Cable" causing the problem.
Very interesting.

I am having similar problems with the return throttle (cruise) switch.

I'd rather NOT have the cruise shut off with throttle input.
brake/clutch, fine.

How long did you run it this way? any feedback?

cons?

(8 years later.... LOL! )

True Wisdom Only Comes From Pain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 14 Old Sep 3rd, 2015, 6:38 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Re: Throttle Cable adjustment

Just a thought.....
Is it possible to gain more slack by shortening the outer cable a small amount ?
After all they are just a bowden cable after all. i.e. outer and inner.
Perhaps then the adjuster may be in a better position to allow the required slack. IIRC about 2 - 2.5mm when warm.

Disclaimer:
I haven't replaced my cables. 2005 LT

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #12 of 14 Old Sep 4th, 2015, 7:35 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnT View Post
Very interesting.

I am having similar problems with the return throttle (cruise) switch.

I'd rather NOT have the cruise shut off with throttle input.
brake/clutch, fine.

How long did you run it this way? any feedback?

cons?

(8 years later.... LOL! )
If you don't want the throttle to kill the cruise you just need to disconnect the switch at the fuel rail. It closes to kill the cruise. Personally that is the one method I use the most. I have it adjusted right up tight and a slight twist to off kills the cruise for me.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 14 Old Sep 4th, 2015, 8:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
If you don't want the throttle to kill the cruise you just need to disconnect the switch at the fuel rail. It closes to kill the cruise.
Yeah,
I unplugged it and very happy to have my cruise back.
mine (cable)seemed to always need adjustment.... happy to be rid of it.

I finally got all my mail order parts and got her all buttoned up...
test ride, cruise works great and very happy with my new Remus pipe and Lambda shifter.

runs like a scalded squirrel..

True Wisdom Only Comes From Pain.

post #14 of 14 Old Sep 4th, 2015, 10:17 am Thread Starter

John T,
I ran my LT without the throttle switch unplugged until my unscheduled dismount last fall left the bike totaled. Never had a single issue with the cruise during this time.

beware of the scalded squirrel, it might like nuts....

Roy Gregersen

85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in