Mixing Bias and Radials - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old May 27th, 2007, 9:46 pm Thread Starter

Mixing Bias and Radials

I just purchased an ME880 for the front of my LT. The original BT020 was shot and cupped on both sides. I am not changing my rear as it looks good. I now am told that the front 880 is Bias and the BT020 on the rear is a radial. I called my dealership and was told you can mix the two. Does anyone have any info on this. I am going with my riding buddies next month to New Mexico, Arizona and Utah and do not want to have any trouble. If I have to change the rear, I will do so. The rear has plenty of tread left.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old May 27th, 2007, 9:53 pm

Mixing

FYI

Several folks here recently said they have mixed radial and non-radial with acceptable results.

My experience when a dealer put a non-radial on my front while I had a radial on the rear was not so good. I noticed the handling of the bike "felt" a bit "off" for a week after the new tire was installed. I then discovered the error and the dealer replace the front with a radial. My bike was a 2000 K1200.

Mark

Mark

BSA 650 about 1969 Used, Denver, CO
Harley 350 (yes they made a 350) New, about 1971 Denver, CO

BMWs owned in sucession since 1975
R65 Used, Denver, CO
R90RT New, Denver, CO
R100R New Spokane, WA
K1100LT New Spokane, WA
2000 K1200LT Used, in 2001 then another
2000 K1200LTC Used, Canyon Red Metallic in 2003 then another
2000 K1200 LT Icon Used, Canyon Red Metallic in 2011 and still rolling.
post #3 of 3 Old May 27th, 2007, 10:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaty
I just purchased an ME880 for the front of my LT. The original BT020 was shot and cupped on both sides. I am not changing my rear as it looks good. I now am told that the front 880 is Bias and the BT020 on the rear is a radial. I called my dealership and was told you can mix the two. Does anyone have any info on this. I am going with my riding buddies next month to New Mexico, Arizona and Utah and do not want to have any trouble. If I have to change the rear, I will do so. The rear has plenty of tread left.
Hi, Mike - been awhile since we met last. Can't even think where it wuz - Port Lavaca RTE with Paul Yeager, maybe??

Anyway, the top thread in the "similar threads" list below has some good discussions on mixing tire style, brands and so forth. Or, you can click here for a start. I guess there are folks who are on either side of the fence on this one. Me, I just want one less thang to think about when riding and so I stay with same brand/ply front and back. Darn thangs are sure getting expensive tho --- good luck in which ever way you decide to go!! Take care.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in